LMCane
2:09p, 5/6/24
frozen yogurt in a small bowl is now $13
kyledr04
3:51p, 5/7/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

strbrst777 said:

Waiting for anyone to post that over the last three years their personal/family inflation meter registers only 19.6-20 percent.
I'd wager 95+% of people don't have good enough control of their finances to even tell you, if they're being honest.

Even if they do, there are so many other variables. For example, we know our finances and keep the history to tell you numbers, but in 2020 it was just my wife and I. Now we have 2 kids and are in a new house, so completely different expenditures regardless of inflation.

*Not defending that inflation is only 20% over the last 3 years. Just don't think you'll find many people keeping track closely enough to tell you wholistically on way or the other. Will just be a lot of anecdotes and singular budget line items like this thread.

Even without much budgeting, all it takes is a quick look back an average grocery or restaurant receipts. We go to the same Mexican restaurant. Average price from 3 years ago for virtually the same orders is 20-25%. We used to go almost weekly. Several months ago I said it wasn't worth it plus trying to lose a few pounds. Now it might be monthly.

I also just got a notification our insurance renewed. I'm scared to look. Plus our 2025 propery tax estimate just showed up. They raised the value 34%.

Inflation is brutal.
Sims
8:45p, 5/7/24
Measured w same methodology as European inflation, US core PCE is currently under 2%.

Price levels absolutely are brutal. Even during Volkers reign price levels were up close to 60%.

Inflation is slowing quite quickly and we're likely headed for a disinflationary recession.
BenTheGoodAg
9:25p, 5/9/24
Anyone wanna guess what a 45 minute visit to the ER for no tests and 4 staples cost us* tonight?

Medical costs were cartoonishly high already. But think they've dramatically outpaced 19%
flashplayer
10:54p, 5/9/24
In reply to BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg said:

Anyone wanna guess what a 45 minute visit to the ER for no tests and 4 staples cost us* tonight?

Medical costs were cartoonishly high already. But think they've dramatically outpaced 19%

Enough that you're probably thinking next time a trip to Walmart for a staple gun is worth a shot first.
Ghost of Bisbee
2:04a, 5/10/24
In reply to BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg said:

$1,500?

Other half visited the in-network ENT earlier this week. 40 min visit to hear them say she probably needs an outpatient surgery and to remove wax from one of her ears.

$980.
BenTheGoodAg
6:10a, 5/10/24
In reply to flashplayer
Gah, that's the truth.

They said we owed 10% tonight, so $1050 of our $10,500 bill. Of course there will be some insurance processing and we won't pay that amount in the end on this one visit. But ****, that's criminal.

And that's just the hospitals fee. Doesn't include whatever else they try to slip in there.
northeastag
6:20a, 5/10/24
In reply to BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg said:

Gah, that's the truth.

They said we owed 10% tonight, so $1050 of our $10,500 bill. Of course there will be some insurance processing and we won't pay that amount in the end on this one visit. But ****, that's criminal.

And that's just the hospitals fee. Doesn't include whatever else they try to slip in there.
And still, I don't know the hospital you went to , but there is a good chance that it is struggling financially.

Your outrageous bill helps makes up for the losses that the hospital is sucking up on medicare/medicaid/uninsured patients. 10 million or so illegal immigrants over the past few years don't really help much either.

JP76
9:25p, 5/12/24
In reply to BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg said:

That cost me around $900 with insurance in College station back in 2017
strbrst777
11:21a, 5/18/24
I had a 30 min colonoscopy procedure. two doctors and three nurses. Hospital billed $8200.
Medicare and I paid a total of $335. None of these numbers me make sense. Explanation was "contracts."
jamey
3:18p, 5/18/24
We hit the 9K out of pocket max every year. Get put on an expensive drug or treatment and what you pay for anything is irrelevant. Gonna hit max out of pocket every, single, year

Some times the drug company pays some or all of the out of pocket max on our behalf but there's no way to know till January so you gotta plan for it
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings