Intermediate Care Facility (ICF)
653 Views | 6 Replies
5StarShield
11:02a, 4/29/24
This isn't the typical post for this forum but not sure where this question belongs on Texags.

I had a conversation with some friends and they are trying to plan for the care of their adult child with disabilities in case something were to happen to them. The child is currently in a care facility and medicaid covers the cost. However, when the parents pass, the adult child will have assets and no longer qualify (and medicare doesn't cover ICF from my understanding).

They are considering Brookwood or [url=https://www.marbridge.org/][/url]Marbridge and said during conversations with the facilities it was a bit murky on how much it would be per year. We didn't go into much more detail on this, but I got the feeling it was a "if you're leaving to the child a significant inheritance they will be fine". Not sure if this involves a pledge of assets to the facility or how it works.

Does anyone have experience with ICF care for familyt members? Or with either of the facilites mentioned above? Any insights on the process and cost of care in these type of facilities is greatly appreciated. TIA.
Aggie71013
11:27a, 4/29/24
No insights on the process, but Brookwood is a great facility.
Casey TableTennis
12:41p, 4/29/24
In reply to 5StarShield
This is a use case for Special Needs Trusts. This type of planning needs incorporated into the parent's estate plans. An estate planning attorney that has expertise with this should be used as there are nuances that could blow up the point of the trust.
Sims
12:47p, 4/29/24
In reply to Casey TableTennis
I second the motion.
5StarShield
3:43p, 4/29/24
In reply to Casey TableTennis
Casey TableTennis said:

This is a use case for Special Needs Trusts. This type of planning needs incorporated into the parent's estate plans. An estate planning attorney that has expertise with this should be used as there are nuances that could blow up the point of the trust.
Thanks for the comment. I asked and they do have a SNT - so i guess Medicaid would still be on the table. I'm guessing with these facilities, medicaid doesn't completely cover the costs so they just want to be sure it has enough $$ to cover the additional costs and not worry about the child ever being kicked out.

Casey TableTennis
3:50p, 4/29/24
In reply to 5StarShield
It is fantastic they have SNT language in their estate plan. Asset titling and bene designations are critical too though. Hopefully their Will "pours over" that child's share of any asset passing via will to the SNT. A house, royalties, etc.. are easy items to oops on. Also, they need to take care to update been on everything so nothing is left to the special needs child.

Even a grandparent or other family member could mess this up, leaving a set $ to each grandkid, or having a "per stirpes" designation on their retirement accounts, annuities, etc. tricky stuff.
BBDP
5:29a, 4/30/24
I have known Scott McAvoy for almost 20 years. He is the "CEO" at Marbridge and is a great guy. Never worked with him (neighbor) but I only hear good things about the facility.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings