Concrete sand for fill dirt?
1,190 Views | 7 Replies
wdpcpa
1:06p, 4/12/24
I live just outside Dallas. I have expansive clay. In the back we constructed a pond. It's about 3 feet deep and 5 feet side to side. I want to fill it in and thinking of using concrete sand. Once it is filled we will cover it with flag stone to match the rest of that area. Is fill sand OK for this purpose?
MyNameIsJeff
3:23p, 4/12/24
I don't see what it would hurt if you plan on covering with flagstone. Sand should reduce any issues with settling over time if you were to fill with dirt.
tgivaughn
4:41p, 4/12/24
That sand & its price is tempting all righty ...

The potential issues will always be surface cracks where the fill below supporting has different forces from the existing grade supporting flagstone esp. when both get wet.

A structural engineer might get involved here, might suggest you begin with pushing "cut&fill" soils into hole from as far out as flagstone perimeter + a few feet
THEN bringing in #1 Select Fill for compaction in 6-inch lifts w/sheepsfoot (or dozer + time to settle) to 90% Proctor.

Then begins the advice on what to do next to support forever the flagstone, if not reif.conc flatwork.
wdpcpa
5:27p, 4/12/24
I just fill in between stones with crushed granite. I don't know about compaction. I thought I would just soak it really well before putting the flag stones on top.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
12:05a, 5/2/24
Good advice from tgivaughn.
If you want to get crazy you could mix in a few bags of Portland cement with the Concrete sand to make your own light cement stabilized blend.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
YellAg2004
10:19a, 5/2/24
In reply to tgivaughn
tgivaughn said:

A structural engineer might get involved here, might suggest you begin with pushing "cut&fill" soils into hole from as far out as flagstone perimeter + a few feet
THEN bringing in #1 Select Fill for compaction in 6-inch lifts w/sheepsfoot (or dozer + time to settle) to 90% Proctor.
Unless I'm misunderstanding his size descriptions, this is just a tad bit overkill for a 25 SF area.
62strat
11:37a, 5/2/24
In reply to YellAg2004
YellAg2004 said:

tgivaughn said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding his size descriptions, this is just a tad bit overkill for a 25 SF area.
I don't know, when I read 5x5 pond, I immediately thought I better call a structural engineer, get a soils report, and get the D6 out here.
bullitt
6:58p, 5/2/24
In reply to 62strat
He watched a little too much "Tool Time"
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >