Plumber wants $1,000 to replace a water heater that's under warranty
1,553 Views | 19 Replies
AgsMyDude
8:29a, 5/1/24
Is this insane or have I lost my mind?

We have a water heater that is 3.5 years old. It has a small leak in the bottom that will likely grow over time

It's covered under the manufacturer's warranty. All I need is for them to get the new one and install it.

The quote from the company that installed the original was $1,000.
Dill-Ag13
8:39a, 5/1/24
In reply to AgsMyDude
Have a handyman do it instead, don't need a plumber. $1,000 labor-only is a little high but not insane unfortunately.
AgsMyDude
8:43a, 5/1/24
In reply to Dill-Ag13
Yeah good idea. I was going to call some other plumbers but a handyman might be a better idea.
hurricanejake02
8:46a, 5/1/24
Attic or garage? Both are DIY-capable... but the attic is significantly more cumbersome.
Dill-Ag13
8:53a, 5/1/24
In reply to AgsMyDude
I have learned basic plumbing and electrical because of how astronomical prices have gotten. It's nuts.
AgsMyDude
8:54a, 5/1/24
In reply to hurricanejake02
Garage. It does have an expansion tank.

I'm pretty handy around the house/garage but I typically shy away from plumbing.
Dill-Ag13
8:54a, 5/1/24
In reply to hurricanejake02
hurricanejake02 said:

Attic or garage? Both are DIY-capable... but the attic is significantly more cumbersome.

Pizza and/or beer and 3 neighborhood buddies is how I did my attic one 3 years ago.
Leggo My Elko
10:14a, 5/1/24
In reply to AgsMyDude
I recently paid $1,100 and that included the new water heater and disposal of the old, but I know the plumber and he's a small one or two man operation so I got a good price.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
1:19p, 5/1/24
You are paying for the labor more than likely.
chick79
1:40p, 5/1/24
Everything related to home repairs and home improvement is insanely expensive these days.
BenTheGoodAg
1:42p, 5/1/24
In reply to chick79
Don't forget homeowner's insurance…. Blegh…
62strat
3:44p, 5/1/24
In reply to AgsMyDude
AgsMyDude said:

I'm pretty handy around the house/garage but I typically shy away from plumbing.
Bingo. There's your reason.

$1000 please.
MyNameIsJeff
4:06p, 5/1/24
That sounds high. I think I paid $400 for a warranty replacement 2 years ago. It was your typical Rheem 40gal gas heater. Does the warranty require you to go through the original installer? If not, I'd get another quote or two.
AgsMyDude
4:22p, 5/1/24
In reply to 62strat
62strat said:

AgsMyDude said:

Bingo. There's your reason.

$1000 please.

That's not my reason for it costing $1,000....
AgsMyDude
4:23p, 5/1/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
MyNameIsJeff said:

That sounds high. I think I paid $400 for a warranty replacement 2 years ago. It was your typical Rheem 40gal gas heater. Does the warranty require you to go through the original installer? If not, I'd get another quote or two.

I don't believe so but I'm going to check on that. The installer made it seem I could get one myself. Some of their justification was "dealing with Rheem" as if paying them to deal with warranty claims for products they sell is the customer's responsibility.
Cromagnum
4:47p, 5/1/24
I paid less than $1000 last year and that included the heater itself.
JP76
9:10p, 5/1/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Gas heater ?

I just priced a 50 gas today and with all hoses and fittings it was right at $800 for materials
RC_57
8:01a, 5/2/24
If it's in the garage, the hardest part of the project is getting rid of the old unit.

If you have the time, basic tools and skills, it's an easy job.

Maybe watch a few "How To" videos on youtube.

I replaced ours (gas unit, in garage) a few years ago.

Shut off the water and power source to the old unit. Drain the water out of it, disconnect all the fittings, haul it out to the curb or the back of your truck for disposal.

Installation is the reverse.

Honestly, it's a pretty simple project.

Or, get on FB or NextDoor and find you a handyman...oops.. handy person in your area.
texsn95
9:56a, 5/2/24
What he said ^. Go for it.
AgsMyDude
11:52a, 5/2/24
In reply to RC_57
Thanks.

I'm watching some videos around the expansion tank. It makes it a little more complicated than a regular install but maybe I can do it.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings