Insulation Removal & New Install Rec's
1,173 Views | 17 Replies
COAg15
9:37p, 5/3/24
Howdy,

Needing to either get insulation added to my existing base or remove the current insulation and blow-in fresh.

Any Dallas Metro recommendations? I'm dealing with a rodent issue and as part of their quote ABC said they could do the insulation removal and blow-in the new, but the price felt pretty steep. Admittedly I don't know market pricing on that but 5 figures for the project felt excessive.

If that's on par for pricing (i know it depends on several factors) then I might just stick with them to have a one stop shop.

Appreciate any and all recommendations or feedback! Thanks Team
jt2hunt
11:29p, 5/3/24
In reply to COAg15
I just spent 8 hrs in attic blowing in cellulose today!!! Hot AF!
Chase
11:07a, 5/5/24
In reply to COAg15
COAg15 said:

Howdy,

Needing to either get insulation added to my existing base or remove the current insulation and blow-in fresh.

Any Dallas Metro recommendations? I'm dealing with a rodent issue and as part of their quote ABC said they could do the insulation removal and blow-in the new, but the price felt pretty steep. Admittedly I don't know market pricing on that but 5 figures for the project felt excessive.

If that's on par for pricing (i know it depends on several factors) then I might just stick with them to have a one stop shop.

Appreciate any and all recommendations or feedback! Thanks Team

What did they quote for it?

We are interested in doing this in the BCS area because our HVAC guy said that some of the insulation we have up there is no longer used because of health concerns. They don't do insulation work and didn't charge us more for being up there with it so I'm guessing it is likely true.
tgivaughn
4:19p, 5/6/24
That's a SOP deal for which I would NOT be shopping b/c it doesn't mention sealing up ALL the mouse hole entries - Job#1 ... not a critic of ABC, an Aggie ehads it up in BCS.

Getting a seal job while asking a pest pro how important it is to remove old poop, since after 3 days it no longer stinks nor is toxic. A neighbor simply covered up his insualtion mouse nest with new insulation and topped it with foil.insulation boards and sheet foil. The extra got him over R-44 and more in some places.
We decided mineral wool would be worse on pricing but best on
fire
wet-dry R-values
humidity
and lungs (over fiberglass ... but shop the new age types)

Costs? Aggieland here so all I have to share is the trusty broad shotgun calculator
https://www.homewyse.com/services/
... and don't have your SF to do it
IMHO and am sticking to it
COAg15
1:50p, 5/13/24
Sorry this fell off my radar and forgot to reply.

They quoted around $5k each (11k total from my memory) for the removal and installation of new insultation.

In Dallas proper and have never dealt with this yet here as a homeowner
MrJonMan
4:30p, 5/13/24
How bad was the rodent issue? I'd be hard pressed to remove the old.
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
JP76
10:01p, 5/13/24
What is the reasoning for removal ?

I have been in 100's of attics from 100+ year old to new builds and eventually all of them get mice inside given enough time.
JP76
10:02p, 5/13/24
In reply to Chase
What kind of insulation is up there now ? What year was the house built ?
JP76
10:03p, 5/13/24
In reply to COAg15
How many square feet is the attic ?
Chase
3:03p, 5/14/24
In reply to JP76
JP76 said:

What kind of insulation is up there now ? What year was the house built ?
Two types, one that is batt-based fiberglass and should be normal. The other looks like rock wool to me but I don't know what I don't know. I'll see if I can get a photo of it.

It was built in 1966.
JP76
7:40p, 5/14/24
In reply to Chase
If this is BCS and 1966 then it's a pretty good chance it is rockwool. It's nasty to work with or in but you can always blow cellulose on top of it to raise r value and it also helps contain the dust/fibers once covered.
aggieactor01
10:30a, 5/15/24
We did this when we bought our 1960s house in Dallas. Went with Green Attics after talking to several companies. They came in and removed all insulation (bats and loose), sealed the attic, sanitized and deodorized, added foil radiant barrier at the rafters, solar fan, and re-insulated all for $10k in early 2021.

We were moving back to town from Austin so I wasn't on site when they did the work. I came up and checked it all and they came back out when I had a couple places that I wasn't completely happy with and made it right. Very easy to work with and I'd go back to them again.

I apologize I don't have the breakdown off hand for just the insulation piece.
jt2hunt
12:28p, 5/15/24
In reply to aggieactor01
What was your average electric bill after?
Chase
2:41p, 5/15/24
In reply to aggieactor01
How big of a house?
aggieactor01
3:01p, 5/15/24
In reply to jt2hunt
I'll have to check and get back to you. I don't have much from before we bought if memory serves and we had the work done before we moved in. But I'll let you know what I have when I get a chance to look it up.
aggieactor01
3:02p, 5/15/24
In reply to Chase
3600 sq ft 1.5 story house
Chase
6:41p, 5/15/24
In reply to aggieactor01
aggieactor01 said:

3600 sq ft 1.5 story house

Wow. That's a great price for all of that.
COAg15
4:36p, 5/18/24
That is a great price for that size.

I'm ~2400sqft, one story.

They were saying that they'd put in the best of the best (yada yada). But ideally would want to be under $10k for it all if I even need to get rid of the old.

Rodent issue is mild. They were in the attic but getting in the wall of the garage and roof. Entry points have subsequently been blocked. They say the level of insulation is really low so theoretically having more insulation could help on the bills.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings