National Guard SF
1,801 Views | 7 Replies
FightinFarrier18
3:40p, 11/5/23
Does anyone know anything about it? I saw that they're recruiting and I'm thinking about dropping a packet
CT'97
10:01p, 11/5/23
Go talk to them in person before you drop the packet.
Naveronski
9:47a, 11/6/23
Worked with them during Harvey. Good dudes.

Couple of them are doing almost a "full time" guard setup - bouncing between schools, TDY, deployment, etc.

That was 2017(?) so I'm sure it's different now, but still... I'm sure they're still good dudes.
HollywoodBQ
12:51p, 11/6/23
In reply to FightinFarrier18
Here's what I know.

Met a guy who was SF in the Utah National Guard who was selling timeshares in Cabo San Lucas.
He had some pretty outlandish stories about his Operation Desert Storm service.

And of course the most famous alleged SF Utah National Guardsman was D.B. Cooper.

When I moved from Austin to Denver pre-9/11, the Colorado Army National Guard only had two types of Combat Arms units. Field Artillery and SF. I wasn't hooah enough for SF and didn't want to be the 3rd overstrength staff officer on some BN or BDE HQ staff so, I decided I was done playing.
maverick2076
2:05p, 11/6/23
In reply to Naveronski
Naveronski said:

Worked with them during Harvey. Good dudes.

Couple of them are doing almost a "full time" guard setup - bouncing between schools, TDY, deployment, etc.

That was 2017(?) so I'm sure it's different now, but still... I'm sure they're still good dudes.

They are still deploying regularly. 19th Group falls under AFRICOM.
Lobster Twins
1:40p, 11/7/23
I was an 18 series but don't really know a whole lot about the Guard side. I sometimes wish I would've done it when I got out. I would agree that you should go talk to them so they can line out what you would be getting into. Some good dudes over there. They'll be honest with you and they do have their own recruiters so use them and not random strip mall recruiters. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I'll say this though...the Q course is tough but it's not excruciating. My most fond memories of my time in are from the Q course. If you're fit mentally and physically you can go a long way.
InfantryAg
11:49p, 11/8/23
Buddies there have told me being "part time" can be pretty taxing. If you have a job you can leave pretty regularly, that helps immensely.

One AGR buddy (full-time guard) said he would just go regular army active duty before being part time guard, because of the numerous life disruptions. That was a few years ago so may be completely different now.

Definitely talk to the guard SF recruiter and some guys currently in.
Tanker123
6:15p, 4/29/24
I would not want to be responsible for their budget. Units like that can be "creative" at spending funds.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings