******************* BOURBON *******************
5,027,318 Views | 40438 Replies
ConfidentAg
6:47p, 5/30/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
I ALSO love Hispanics
AgDev01
8:21p, 5/30/24
Was watching some whiskeytube and got to thinking, how much do you care about how your whiskey is crafted?

If you could go buy a TW house brand bottle for $35 that tasted just like GTS but was artificially aged or had flavoring or other additives, would you?

Is the value of the bottle just end product or the story that goes along with it?

Would you buy a 13th colony double oak at retail if it was proven there was some shenanigans behind it?

For me i don't think i would care as long as the product was good and they were up front about it.
ConfidentAg
8:27p, 5/30/24
In reply to AgDev01
I would care.

I don't know why but I would.

My stupid monkey brain I guess.
Shaggie 05
8:31p, 5/30/24
I would also care. There is something awesome about the natural process and what some are able to do.

Add in chemicals and flavors and it's no longer an art, it's cheapened. And why there is such a push for additive free tequila these days.
AgDev01
8:45p, 5/30/24
both valid points. Im thinking about it in the commodity sense. If i could get a GTS clone for 40 bucks then that becomes the daily and i see it in the same vein as any other cheap bottle. would i reach for the fake stuff or the OF100?

I think the end result is that the real thing becomes all that more special because it is "real" that and i'd certainly never buy a pour from an opened bottle.
Aggie Therapist
8:47p, 5/30/24
In reply to AgDev01
Real or fake, I'm down for either
AgDev01
8:50p, 5/30/24
we still talking about whiskey?
Aggie Therapist
9:01p, 5/30/24
In reply to AgDev01
AgDev01 said:

we still talking about whiskey?

I don't mind chemicals and lost art.

As you said, I just want the same end result and satisfaction.
jackie childs
9:18p, 5/30/24
In reply to AgDev01
bmc13
8:12a
artificial aging via ultrasonic or controlled temp cycling I don't mind. not sure I'm a fan of using external additives, though.
Aggie Therapist
8:22a
I'll be living in a tent for the next couple weeks and out of pocket. Please bring any TexAgs pick related questions or concerns to srob2004.

srob2004
8:46a
I will be your huckleberry
ConfidentAg
8:51a
In reply to bmc13
bmc13 said:

artificial aging via ultrasonic or controlled temp cycling I don't mind. not sure I'm a fan of using external additives, though.

Yeah I wouldn't mind that at all.

As long as the ingredients didn't change
AgDev01
9:13a
In reply to bmc13
bmc13 said:

What is the line to consider an external additive?

The thing that prompted my question is these "infusion spirals" that are designed to be dropping in a barrel and add a finish to it.

Quote:

Now is the time for distillers to think outside the barrel when it comes to aging alternatives for their spirits. By utilizing Infusion Spirals from The Barrel Mill, you'll experience savings in cost, labor, and time while experimenting with new woods and toasts to get truly oneofakind spirits.

Whether you're trying a small sampling with our Bottle Spirals or conducting larger trials with our popular 8" Carboys and large-volume Tank Packs, the end result will be top-notch.
https://thebarrelmill.com/infusion-spirals/infusion-spirals-spirits/

I have a hard time differentiating between this and someone just dumping in a concentrate into the barrel.

I do think there is a distinction with this method and MM who replace the actual staves to my knowledge.

Again as long as they are transparent i don't think i would care but i do think it goes to show we should demand more transparency on the labels these days because the game has changed.
AlaskanAg99
9:16a
In my opinion there's a huge difference of adding flavorings in chemical form to a barrel vs adding different toasts and chars from an actual wood product.

Adding staves or spirals to a spirit is not the same as adding chemical additives.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1156 of 1156
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings