9:57p, 5/8/24
In reply to LawHall88
There's 3 incoming freshmen coming as well
LawHall88
9:59p, 5/8/24
In reply to NativeAg3
NativeAg3 said:

The one from Houston is almost certainly a walk on.
AgEfan
10:00p, 5/8/24
In reply to NativeAg3
NativeAg3 said:

The McDermott kid is walking on hence why TexAgs or A&M athletics department hasn't mentioned him at all.
NativeAg3
10:07p, 5/8/24
In reply to LawHall88
He would become the greatest walk on in Aggie basketball history (not saying I don't think he will be a walk on, but he will certainly get a scholarship at some point in his career)
EliteZags
11:37p, 5/8/24
In reply to NativeAg3
I see him ending up the 2nd greatest walk on behind Jaelyn Lee
NativeAg3
8:25a, 5/9/24
In reply to EliteZags
I still don't see how he endless praise for Lee, I haven't seen anything that has led me to believe that he'll be a great player
bobinator
9:03a, 5/9/24
In reply to NativeAg3
That's why Zags is Elite
EliteZags
12:20p, 5/9/24
In reply to NativeAg3
just like we hadn't seen anything from Jaxson Robinson and Obaseki for 2 seasons, and redshirted a 3* QB from Kerrville
pierceshipp
12:58p, 5/9/24
there's no way we could snag Arthur Kaluma right!?
NativeAg3
4:04p, 5/9/24
In reply to EliteZags
To be fair both the obaseki and Robinson were very highly rated recruits, and being a 3 star is nothing to scoff over. Lee doesn't even have a 247 page at all
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
6:51p, 5/9/24
In reply to NativeAg3
NativeAg3 said:

He would become the greatest walk on in Aggie basketball history (not saying I don't think he will be a walk on, but he will certainly get a scholarship at some point in his career)

I am excited about getting McDermott! I think Buzz knows we are going to have a large number of scholarship spots open up next year and would not be surprised if he essentially promised one to this relatively highly rated (top 150) PWO.

The kid is reportedly strong academically and is a double double machine - but at a 20/20 pace rather than just 10/10.

See: https://guyvlewisaward.org/

Note some of the prior winners.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
6:58p, 5/9/24
In reply to LawHall88
LawHall88 said:

AgEfan said:

It's means being on the team.

Well then we are back to MarcAg's question, 8 returning players + 3 transfers + 2 incoming freshman = 13 scholarships. Something has to give to add another player. So maybe we have a player who is converting into a graduate assistant?

Perhaps, just like with the case of the McDermott incoming freshman PWO, we might put together an enticing NIL package and compete to get one more player without the need to have another scholarship available.

In that case, I would think it might be for a graduate transfer- but I am not aware of any rules that don't allow an undergraduate to transfer to a school and play without an athletic scholarship.

I'm still hoping for JT Toppin, the kid from Dallas who was Texas 4A POTY in 2023 and MWC Freshman of the Year playing for New Mexico this past season - averaging almost a double double - and still developing.

But not sure we can compete for him as I suspect the price will be very high.
MarcAg
7:25p, 5/9/24
In reply to pierceshipp
pierceshipp said:

there's no way we could snag Arthur Kaluma right!?

He would be the perfect piece that we need. But he can go anywhere, so would be tough. He knows Manny and Wade though, but still hard to imagine we can get him. Plus he's still exploring nba as a possibility.
pierceshipp
7:31p, 5/9/24
In reply to MarcAg
Eluding to billy thinking we get one more my money is on

Brandon Gardner
Arthur Kaluma
Trazarien White

No particular order
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
8:38p, 5/9/24
In reply to pierceshipp
pierceshipp said:

Eluding to billy thinking we get one more my money is on

Brandon Gardner
Arthur Kaluma
Trazarien White

No particular order

All three appear to be strong and likely potentially significant contributors when I looked up how they played at previous stops.

First two on the list, though, have only one year of eligibility left - while White has two years.

For that reason alone, would prefer White out of those three.
pierceshipp
8:45p, 5/9/24
In reply to Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Gardner would have 3 years im pretty sure
MarcAg
8:47p, 5/9/24
In reply to pierceshipp
pierceshipp said:

Gardner would have 3 years im pretty sure

4. He redshirted this year.
LawHall88
8:54p, 5/9/24
Quote:

As he prepares for his first season at Arkansas, John Calipari said he won't stack his rosters with an abundance of talent, which was his tactic during his lengthy tenure at Kentucky.

On the latest episode of his "Ways to Win" podcast with former Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson this week, Calipari said the turnover in college basketball in the transfer portal era has changed his philosophy on assembling rosters.

"You may think I'm crazy, but I told my staff I only want to have eight or nine guys," Calipari told Robinson, who is now executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. "They're leaving anyway, and why would I develop a kid for someone else? Why would I do that?"
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40115234/amid-portal-era-calipari-hints-limiting-arkansas-roster-8-9-guys
GrayMatter
9:14p, 5/9/24
I understand that sentiment, but if the injury bug hits your team you're screwed.
NativeAg3
9:16p, 5/9/24
In reply to Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Some studs on that list, definitely gives me hope for the future after we lose the majority of our team next season!
Know Your Enemy
7:24p, 5/10/24
LawHall88
8:49p, 5/10/24
It's called a "Marfo" when a player transfers back to a team he previously played on based on Kevin Marfo, who transferred from Quinnipiac to Texas A&M and back to Quinnipiac, and is believed to be the first player to transfer back to a previous school.
Method Man
9:07p, 5/10/24
Can we get Jaxson Robinson to Marfo?
pierceshipp
3:58p, 5/11/24
Billy. How can you say "trust me bro" and just leave us there. We need MORE!!!
MarcAg
7:54a, 5/12/24

That's more than what I was told our entire available basketball NIL was last year.
Pumpkinhead
9:18a, 5/12/24
In reply to MarcAg
Yep. Now that players can get paid without having to hide it, can transfer whenever they want with no penalties, next step is to sue to remain on college teams as long as they want. Stating how it is not fair they are forced to give up a nice paying job after an arbitrary 4 years.

Just imagine a roster with a bunch of 30+ year olds on it and how Buzz will have to adapt his 'shaping young men' courses.
LawHall88
10:35p, 5/13/24
[url] [/url]
AggieCrew44
10:47p, 5/13/24
In reply to Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead said:

Yep. Now that players can get paid without having to hide it, can transfer whenever they want with no penalties, next step is to sue to remain on college teams as long as they want. Stating how it is not fair they are forced to give up a nice paying job after an arbitrary 4 years.

Just imagine a roster with a bunch of 30+ year olds on it and how Buzz will have to adapt his 'shaping young men' courses.
Every organization in the world is allowed to have eligibility rules.

I can't practice medicine if I don't meet the requirements to do so by the medical board

I can't play high school sports because I don't meet the requirements to do so

Ncaa sports are no different
MarcAg
10:52p, 5/13/24
In reply to LawHall88
LawHall88 said:

[url] [/url]

Feels like a guy we reached out to 6 weeks ago when he went into the portal because we reach out to everyone. He can shoot, but just doesn't seem like a guy we would add. But I'm just guessing as I don't see him getting much playing time here.
EliteZags
11:51p, 5/13/24
In reply to MarcAg
tho appears to possibly have 2 seasons eligibility with medshirt and covid year
pierceshipp
9:05a, 5/15/24
https://instagr.am/p/C6_XcOZMWSL

Trazarien White is gone
pierceshipp
9:06a, 5/15/24
I'm starting to wonder is Wesley Yates is an option
MarcAg
7:33p, 5/17/24

If this is indeed true then we know how A&M basketball has room to add more. We knew Buzz was bringing in kids as walkons with some NIL assistance, but the belief (and I believe rule) was always if you started as a scholarship player you couldn't then later become a walkon. That appears to no longer be the case. So they could be say bringing in the kid from Nebraska in as walkon and give him NIL money for a year and not use a scholarship spot
LawHall88
7:34p, 5/17/24
In reply to MarcAg
MarcAg said:

If this is indeed true then we know how A&M has room to add more. We knew Buzz was bringing in kids as walkons with some NIL assistance, but the belief (and I believe rule) was always if you started as a scholarship player you couldn't then later become a walkon. That appears to no longer be the case.
Maybe you can't move from scholarship to walkon at the same school.
JJxvi
12:51p
In reply to MarcAg
MarcAg said:

If this is indeed true then we know how A&M basketball has room to add more. We knew Buzz was bringing in kids as walkons with some NIL assistance, but the belief (and I believe rule) was always if you started as a scholarship player you couldn't then later become a walkon. That appears to no longer be the case. So they could be say bringing in the kid from Nebraska in as walkon and give him NIL money for a year and not use a scholarship spot

You cant recruit a player as a scholarship player (with a paid official visit etc) and then later have them be a walkon for you. If someone you havent recruited before pays their own way to see your school and goes through the process as a walkon, they can be a walkon for you as long as you havent recruited them in a way that makes them ineligible for that, it makes no difference that another school has recruited them as or even had them on a roster as a scholarship player
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 18 of 18
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings