Phelps shooting and outlook
3,370 Views | 47 Replies
The Marksman
3:53p, 5/1/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Love that starting 5 with proper depth that can come in to start due to injury or poor performance. I still hold out hope that mills can be a real contributor next year. He looks every bit the real deal
Absolutely agree. I think people are sleeping on Rob Dockery too. He was a pretty good recruit and with a redshirt year under his belt I think he'll be a contributor next season.
85AustinAg
4:13p, 5/1/24
In reply to bg92
Quote:

Probably my biggest complaint about Buzz is how long it takes to figure out the right rotation and offensive/defensive approach. Really needs to figure out how to settle on the right approach earlier in the season.
Seasons and players evolve. Things change. Players get better. That's why we looked the way we did at the end of the season. Sometimes that's just not there at the beginning or middle of a season.

Give credit where its due. Some coaches would just keep shoving a round peg into a square hole.
bobinator
5:28p, 5/1/24
In reply to 85AustinAg
Yeah this is just part of the game. You're going to have hills and valleys.

It's also not like we absolutely sucked in non-conference and took four months to figure it out. We started out pretty good, hit a stretch with some injuries and poor play, then played pretty well again before REALLY being awful for a couple weeks, and then found it again.
GrayMatter
6:30p, 5/1/24
Manny was hurt last year too and it took him over a season to become the player that he is now.

Henry seems to be taking the same trajectory and it's harder on him because he's the kind of player that likes contact.
Redfishag93
7:58a, 5/2/24
With all we have coming back, can we possibly not have a long, crappy stretch where we lose virtually all hope of making the tournament only to get it together at the last second?

I seriously doubt it. Might as well accept it now as a truism in life.
bobinator
8:10a, 5/2/24
In reply to Redfishag93
Good offseason topic here of how many years in a row of that would it take for Buzz's seat to actually heat up?

So the deal is we have an awful stretch every year, but ultimately make the tournament, and for this conversation say we more or less alternate winning one game or none in the NCAAT. No second weekend runs.

How long does that keep a coach from getting fired at A&M? Would they ever get fired?
TombstoneTex
8:31a, 5/2/24
In reply to bobinator
bobinator said:

Good offseason topic here of how many years in a row of that would it take for Buzz's seat to actually heat up?

So the deal is we have an awful stretch every year, but ultimately make the tournament, and for this conversation say we more or less alternate winning one game or none in the NCAAT. No second weekend runs.

How long does that keep a coach from getting fired at A&M? Would they ever get fired?
In this scenario Buzz would be poached long before being fired.
bobinator
8:38a, 5/2/24
In reply to TombstoneTex
NOT THE QUESTION
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
9:26a, 5/2/24
In reply to bobinator
bobinator said:

I addressed this in another thread- but NO - he would not be fired with annual appearances in the NCAAT as long as his teams remained as entertaining as they have been throughout the season (even with the "bad run" each year) - especially with how Reed has been revived.

That is UNTIL our baseball and football success (regular or even annual appearances in CFP and in Omaha) raise the overall athletic department expectations level to wanting deeper runs in the NCAAT - but I think it'll be a decade before we hit that point- and I actually believe Buzz will have our team into the second weekend several times in that span.
bobinator
9:31a, 5/2/24
In reply to Fanatic15...Drs2B!
I don't think the football and baseball teams have anything to do with it, and would probably actually argue the opposite, the better they're doing the less anyone is going to care if the basketball program is just pretty good. Except that if we haven't had to fire a football coach in a while we might have more money.
GrayMatter
10:50a, 5/2/24
In reply to bobinator
bobinator said:

I don't think the football and baseball teams have anything to do with it, and would probably actually argue the opposite, the better they're doing the less anyone is going to care if the basketball program is just pretty good. Except that if we haven't had to fire a football coach in a while we might have more money.
Agreed. Given our history of being non-participants in the tournament, I really don't think he would get fired if he had consecutive trips to the NCAAT.

Hypothetically speaking anyways....

Realistically, I've seen it go both ways.... consecutive trips to the tournament with an off year of not making the tournament and other years where a team has broken through to the 2nd weekend.

But for the sake of your question, his seat doesn't get hot with 1 or less wins in the tournament, if we make it every year.
jac4
11:01a, 5/2/24
In reply to Ag_EE_88
Ag_EE_88 said:

Hefner and Coleman will start a few games at the beginning of the season and look like they've turned the corner. People will rave about the progress they've made. Then conference will hit and they will disappear and Buzz will spend 10 games trying to figure out the new rotation. Finally, about 2 games before the tournament, something will click in one of the guys and they will come alive and take over for the rest of the games.

Can you edit this one with spoiler tags? Many of us know how it will turn out, but we still enjoy the roller coaster season as battered Ags.
TombstoneTex
11:58a, 5/2/24
In reply to bobinator
bobinator said:

NOT THE QUESTION
lol chill out!

1) Indefinitely
2) No

... because he would get poached first
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard