The (New) Global Methodist Church
91,526 Views | 544 Replies
XpressAg09
10:25a, 10/27/22
In reply to cgh1999
Lakewood UMC voted last week to disaffiliate. Haven't heard the official number, but the threshold was met and I've heard it was as close as 70%.
cgh1999
11:03a, 10/27/22
In reply to XpressAg09
XpressAg09 said:

Lakewood UMC voted last week to disaffiliate. Haven't heard the official number, but the threshold was met and I've heard it was as close as 70%.

31 of 32 churches in that district voted to go GMC
nortex97
12:49p, 10/27/22
In reply to cgh1999
There are more than 32 around Houston, aren't there? Is that just the ones that have voted already/now? Thx.
XpressAg09
1:15p, 10/27/22
In reply to nortex97
There's probably a few districts that reach into Houston, if I had to guess.
MAROON
2:03p, 10/28/22
not a huge congregation, but Livingston UMC voted to leave. 1300 members.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
UTExan
5:46p, 10/29/22
Apropos to this thread;
https://juicyecumenism.com/2022/10/21/united-methodist-church-exits-accelerate/

" United Methodist exits are accelerating, as at least 260 of 779 churches in the North Carolina Conference, or one third, have voted to disaffiliate or plan to next year, according to The Carolina Journal. United Methodist churches, whose property is owned by the denomination through the local "conference," can vote to exit the liberalizing denomination, with their property and a one-time payment, before the end of 2023."

"Meanwhile, 118 churches, or 28 percent of the total, have notified the Peninsula-Delaware Conference that they plan to exit, the conference's trustees announced. This number shocked conference officials, as the churches organized within only a few weeks when notified that Bishop Latrelle Easterling was going to impose a 50% real estate value surcharge on exit costs after the arbitrary deadline. The exiting churches contribute $1.4 million to the conference's budget, which was $4.8 million in 2021. It's believed another 75-100 churches would like to leave but failed to meet the deadline. Possibly some will litigate…"

" At least 500 UMC churches in the state of Texas, including four of the top six by membership, have exited or plan to, according to The Dallas Morning News. St. Andrew is the state's seventh-largest United Methodist church."

"… But some very liberal bishops, like Bishop Easterling, who presides over Baltimore-Washington and Peninsula-Delaware, along with Bishop John Schol of New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania are adding exorbitant surcharges, making exit very difficult and prompting likely litigation. Over 100 churches in the Florida Conference are suing Bishop Ken Carter and the conference over an exorbitant insurance charge he has added to exit costs."
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TRD-Ferguson
8:30a, 10/30/22
I reviewed our "Beliefs" section of our UMC website yesterday.

"While our belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is essential, we are open to a variety of perspectives beyond this core belief."

That concerns me as it seems to suggest anything goes as a possible outcome. Am I being overly critical?

As mentioned earlier in this post, we're in our 60's and long time members. Starting over has its on set of issues. We do want to be faithful to Christ though. Thanks
Fishing Fools
8:47a, 10/30/22
In reply to TRD-Ferguson
You should be concerned just like the Churches that are disaffiliating. And you are not overly critical. Just being wise.
one MEEN Ag
9:49a, 10/31/22
In reply to TRD-Ferguson
TRD-Ferguson said:

"While our belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is essential, we are open to a variety of perspectives beyond this core belief."

That concerns me as it seems to suggest anything goes as a possible outcome. Am I being overly critical?

As mentioned earlier in this post, we're in our 60's and long time members. Starting over has its on set of issues. We do want to be faithful to Christ though. Thanks
What are you willing to approach Jesus and state what you believe about Him one day? There's way more to what Jesus shared and established than just, 'I believe Jesus is the Lord.' James writes about how even the demons believe that and shudder.

Its always a good time to dig into church history and ask questions about authority, beliefs, traditions, and how they have or haven't been passed down.

Will continue to pray for the UMC here.
UTExan
10:51a, 10/31/22
In reply to TRD-Ferguson
TRD-Ferguson said:

It's typical of the modern Methodist clergy/episcopal mindset: trying to please everybody while pleasing nobody and avoiding Jesus' key key statement about Him being the way, the truth and the life. It's what happens when an organizational leadership is compromised by the world. Ironic, because this is exactly what John Wesley predicted.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Pro Sandy
9:12p, 10/31/22
In reply to TRD-Ferguson
TRD-Ferguson said:

That statement by your local church is something to greatly be concerned about. It goes against the Book of Discipline, specifically the Articles of Religion and Confession of Faith. And denies many basic Christian teachings.

The lack of adherence to basic Methodist teachings by many United Methodist pastors is a factor why I'm no longer a Methodist.
goatchze
3:58p, 11/4/22
In reply to TRD-Ferguson
TRD-Ferguson said:

It is concerning, and while everyone thinks the split is about human sexuality, it is in fact about much more.

Concepts like that are being taught in many of the UMC seminaries. There is a theological drift in the UMC towards Universalism in order to have the "big tent" that they want. But doing so means trampling on traditional doctrine and the UMCs own confession of faith.

This is one of the multitude of issues that is causing the split. And post split, without the traditionalist congregations holding them back, most expect an accelerated move in this direction.
Aggieland Proud
4:55a, 11/6/22
Take a look at the new Bishop just elected to take over the Texas Conference. She's a full blown supporter of same sex marriage and gay clergy. Those churches that wanted to take the "wait and see" approach have just got their first hint of what's to come.

malenurse
9:28a, 11/6/22
In reply to Aggieland Proud
Aggieland Proud said:

Take a look at the new Bishop just elected to take over the Texas Conference. She's a full blown supporter of same sex marriage and gay clergy. Those churches that wanted to take the "wait and see" approach have just got their first hint of what's to come.

Link?
dermdoc
3:51p, 11/6/22
Prayers for the Methodist church.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TRD-Ferguson
4:10p, 11/6/22
I attend a men's Bible study every Monday morning. We're all in our 60's and 70's. Protestant and Catholic. Good folks. I'm going to ask for prayer tomorrow for both the Methodist church and our situation in our church. This is heavy on my spirit now. Just makes me sad. Appreciate all the comments and your prayers.

We're in Georgetown. Really don't know where to begin. Lots of longtime, close friends we've made over the years.
dermdoc
4:15p, 11/6/22
In reply to TRD-Ferguson
Prayers of groups of believers are powerful in my experience.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UTExan
6:10p, 11/6/22
In reply to Aggieland Proud
Aggieland Proud said:

And the western jurisdiction just elected an openly gay male bishop.

And left wingers are trying to call out individual bishops for "aiding" the dis affiliation process:
https://www.umnews.org/en/news/three-bishops-accused-of-aiding-disaffiliation
aggieband 83
8:13p, 11/6/22
Here are 2 positive reports to make y'all feel a little better.

Example #1
My sister has attended Montgomery UMC for years.
A month ago their church voted.
The result was 57% to disaffiliate, 43% to stay.
My sister voted to disaffiliate.
Since the vote did not receive the required 2/3 majority, Montgomery UMC remains in the UMC.

Fast forward to today.
Christ the King Global Methodist in Montgomery, Texas held their first ever service.
Almost 200 showed up for the service.
She said there was an excitement the congregation could feel.
The music, singing and message were top notch.
A covered dish meal was served after the service.

Example #2
My cousin stopped attending FUMC - Kerrville 3 years ago.
He got fed up with the political side of the UMC.
He has been attending a Lutheran church.

Today was the first ever service for Kerrville Global Methodist.
He told me over 200 showed up for services.
He forgot how good it felt attending a Wesleyan based Methodist church.

Y'all keep the faith.
Focus on the positive.
Keep your eyes on God.
He sees you!
Aggie Band not the easiest but the Best.
nortex97
7:11a, 11/7/22
In reply to aggieband 83
The Truth shall set us free.
Aggieland Proud
6:58p, 11/8/22
Whites Chapel, a 16,000 member congregation in Southlake, voted 93% to disaffiliate. Going to be essentially independent, joining another small group of churches is what I understand but not entirely clear on. Huge loss for UMC. Be interesting to see what they do in the future.
BluHorseShu
7:13p, 11/8/22
In reply to TRD-Ferguson
TRD-Ferguson said:

I attend a men's Bible study every Monday morning. We're all in our 60's and 70's. Protestant and Catholic. Good folks. I'm going to ask for prayer tomorrow for both the Methodist church and our situation in our church. This is heavy on my spirit now. Just makes me sad. Appreciate all the comments and your prayers.

We're in Georgetown. Really don't know where to begin. Lots of longtime, close friends we've made over the years.
I love that you have a Bible study with both Protestants and Catholics. I would love to find a group like that here in BCS
Fishing Fools
9:46p, 11/10/22
Small Churches making it happen!

aggieband 83
7:12p, 11/11/22
In reply to Fishing Fools
What town is Rising Star in?
Fishing Fools
7:36p, 11/11/22
Rising Star (Tx)
UTExan
9:46p, 11/11/22
In reply to aggieband 83
aggieband 83 said:

What town is Rising Star in?

Southern Eastland County between DeLeon and Cross Plains.
aggieband 83
9:51p, 11/11/22
Surprised the sign does not say "Global" on it. I guess the logo says it for them.

Thanks!
TresPuertas
5:56p, 11/14/22
Does anyone have an updated list of churches who have disassociated?

I was a member of FUMCR (Richardson) 10. years. I baptized my children there, memorialized family members there, sent my kids to school there, and finally found my home there. But they went full woke, and about two years ago I couldn't do it anymore.

The hardest part about all of this is that I have not been able to find a new church home and it has really caused a huge hole in my life. I'm very interested in finding a new global UMC, or similarly situated church around the DFW area, specifically Plano Richardson, so some sort of a list where I can start would be really greatly appreciated and helpful.

I pray for everybody who's in the same situation that we are in and hopefully you find a new home soon
The Chicken Ranch
6:13p, 11/14/22
In reply to TresPuertas
We have recently moved to an ECO Presbyterian church. If that is an option, I encourage you to try it.
Fishing Fools
7:00p, 11/14/22
In reply to TresPuertas
Join the GMC FB page. Lots of good information and people in the same boat as you. Ask…

Or come on out and visit FMC of Cross Plains. We a fun bunch especially on Camo Sunday. It's worth the drive.
Txducker
8:44p, 11/14/22
In reply to TresPuertas
I left the UMC around 2014 after being born and raised in it and baptized by my deceased grandfather who was a conservative UMC pastor. I am glad he is not alive to see what has happened to the UMC, it would have broken his heart. I was in a woke church and was not going to have my son exposed to that nonsense. We found the Lutheran Missouri synod to be the best fit for us. A very conservative theological church, I wish I had found it sooner. Good luck on your search and take your time. We spent a year researching denominations and visiting churches. It's an important decision.
notex
8:06a, 11/15/22
In reply to Txducker
It is utterly sad to see the rump UMC that is being left for dead/the radical unchristian management that is running it off a cliff.

It will fold at some point in the next 10 years I predict, as it is financially going to be unable to pay the bills. Since doctrine/dogma don't matter to them I wonder if there will be a combined "GLBTQ+ unity church" of some sort which involves a remnant of Presby./UMC/Episcopalian denominations that were devoured by them.

powerbelly
9:37a, 11/15/22
In reply to Txducker
Txducker said:

I left the UMC around 2014 after being born and raised in it and baptized by my deceased grandfather who was a conservative UMC pastor. I am glad he is not alive to see what has happened to the UMC, it would have broken his heart. I was in a woke church and was not going to have my son exposed to that nonsense. We found the Lutheran Missouri synod to be the best fit for us. A very conservative theological church, I wish I had found it sooner. Good luck on your search and take your time. We spent a year researching denominations and visiting churches. It's an important decision.
You can always count on the LCMS for conservative theology.
UTExan
10:46a, 11/15/22
In reply to notex
notex said:

It is utterly sad to see the rump UMC that is being left for dead/the radical unchristian management that is running it off a cliff.

It will fold at some point in the next 10 years I predict, as it is financially going to be unable to pay the bills. Since doctrine/dogma don't matter to them I wonder if there will be a combined "GLBTQ+ unity church" of some sort which involves a remnant of Presby./UMC/Episcopalian denominations that were devoured by them.

That's one reason they want such high exit fees and to retain property control. Selling off a lot of the church property would pay the program, pension and medical insurance costs for the remaining clergy and staff as the UMC continues to shrink rapidly.
88Warrior
2:33p, 11/15/22
In reply to UTExan
UTExan said:

notex said:

That's one reason they want such high exit fees and to retain property control. Selling off a lot of the church property would pay the program, pension and medical insurance costs for the remaining clergy and staff as the UMC continues to shrink rapidly.

The ones I feel for are those small churches that want to disaffiliate from the UMC but can't because of the exit fees. Our church (Asbury-Tulsa) is fortunate/blessed to have the resources to leave but a lot of others don't…
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 16
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings