Divorce = Lying to God?

2,463 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rex Racer
Sinuso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I married my wife 25 years ago, I made a vow to love and keep her forever before God. In year 26, she has told me she no longer loves me and we are divorced. By agreeing to the divorce, did I break my vow before God?

I recently found out she broke her wedding vows a long time ago...

Is this the reason I have a heart-sized crater in my chest that just hurts all the time? Any advice for moving forward?
Rex Racer
AG
If she committed adultery, which you indicate here, then you are in the clear, according to the Bible.

ds00
I believe your relationship with God is fine. Focus on yourself and your well being.
BonfireNerd04
If she's the one who cheated on you, and she's the one who ended your marriage, then I think that you kept your side of the marriage covenant, and did nothing wrong. You're responsible before God for your decisions, not for hers, or for anyone else's.

While divorce is certainly not ideal, it is sometimes necessary, and the Bible does explicitly permit it in cases of adultery.

Still, the heartache that you're feeling right now is understandable. Not having been in your situation, I'm not sure what to say, except to try not to dwell on the past, and to seek support from your friends, family, or spiritual leaders.

Maybe someday, you can forgive your ex-wife. And yourself.
Antoninus
I cannot give you a Biblical answer, but I can certainly give you a legal one.

Texas is a no-fault divorce state. If she wanted to divorce, she was going to get a divorce. All you could have done was drag it out and make it both expensive and painful for everyone involved.

No God worthy of your devotion would expect you to fight a battle with absolutely zero chance of success.
PabloSerna
AG
She may have been in love with you at one time, but is no longer. Love is an act of the will, self giving, that requires a daily commitment.

It sounds as if you were committed to that relationship. I hope you can find another person to share the journey. The journey is to heaven.

While it is true that we are each responsible for our own actions, I have also promised my wife that I will help her get to heaven and she has promised the same to me. That is why God put her in my life.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Sorry to hear about this. I've been there, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. First off, regardless of any laws or religious rules, a marriage requires two people to continue. If she wanted out, then there's nothing you could have done. You can't keep a marriage going by yourself when the other person wants out. So at the very least, clear your mind of any guilt in that regard. Sin requires a choice, and in this matter you didn't have a choice.

In regards to divorce itself, you could talk with your priest or pastor. There's a lot of different Christian thought about this, and best to stick with someone you trust.

Past that, take time to grieve. A lot of time. Your marriage and your future just died. Your life will never be the same. Take plenty of time to get used to living alone, any situation with kids, untangling finances and all the rest. Take some time trying to figure out your relationship with your former in-laws. Some want to still be family, others will want to break contact, and your feelings are going to be complicated. Don't rush into another relationship. Your emotions are going to be very unpredictable, and it's not really fair to whoever you meet.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
spud1910
AG
I am sorry Sinuso. For me, it was year 16 that my wife decided no more. She actually filed for divorce on my parent's wedding anniversary. I was devastated and had many of the concerns you mention. As others have said, you didn't have a lot of options if she wanted the divorce. I reached peace by looking at what I did. I was not a perfect husband for sure. But I tried with all my heart. And I think that is what God looks at. With time I remarried. A wonderful woman. And she and my ex are friends. And we all go on vacations and to grandkid's birthday parties together. We had a lot of years that we didn't think too highly of each other, but both decided not to speak ill of the other in front of our daughter. Now we get along OK. I still sometimes wonder if it would have worked if I knew then what I know now. But 16 years after the divorce I think we are both happier than we were iin the marriage. And I think God blessing me in the marriage I now have is His sign that I am forgiven for the divorce. So, as others said, I think you have done all you can. God will judge your heart. Take your time and do not rush into anything.
dermdoc
AG
Prayers Sinuso.

God loves you. And so do we. Rest in His peace..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SpiderDude
AG
dermdoc said:

Prayers Sinuso.

God loves you. And so do we. Rest in His peace..
This. Prayers for you sir. God will heal your heart...keep it open for him.
Sinuso
AG
Wow. To say thank you to all the replies to this post seems to fall short of what your words are worth to me right now.

In working through this process your prayers and advice will be checked daily until I feel like I no longer need the affirmations.
Txducker
AG
Sorry for your loss. The pain of being betrayed and having her quit on your relationship must be awful. Prayers of healing for you as you adjust to your new life. Lean heavily in to the Lord during this time, He is there for you. Never cease in prayer and scripture reading for the Holy Spirit will work through those in your healing. So sad and I am sorry this happened to you.
Sinuso
AG
Thank you again for your prayers. I can really feel them working. For example, the Lord has been revealing things about my ex that I believe are meant to show me that I'm better off without her. If it had all come out at the time, it would have easily killed me.

I have prayed for the Lord to take away the hate, resentment and jealousy so I can go on. So far, so good.

Thank you.
Rex Racer
AG
Sinuso said:

Thank you again for your prayers. I can really feel them working. For example, the Lord has been revealing things about my ex that I believe are meant to show me that I'm better off without her. If it had all come out at the time, it would have easily killed me.

I have prayed for the Lord to take away the hate, resentment and jealousy so I can go on. So far, so good.

Thank you.
Glad to hear. Sounds like you are handling things about as well as can be expected. The Lord will provide.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.