The Holy Bible App (YouVersion)

4,539 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by dermdoc
88Warrior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dermdoc said:

88Warrior said:

Aren't we all "heretics" to someone or another?!? LoL!
Exactly. But the guy we are talking about is way over the top in my opinion. That is why I said from the start that as soon as someone calls everybody who does not believe exactly like him/her heretics I tune the out.

And I do not call anyone a heretic who believes in the basic Gospel.

Agreed…my statement was just "in general"…As I've said many times I think we make this out to be harder than it is….the hard work was done 2000 years ago…we seem to let the small nuisances divide us more than we should…imho..
dermdoc
AG
88Warrior said:

dermdoc said:

88Warrior said:

Aren't we all "heretics" to someone or another?!? LoL!
Exactly. But the guy we are talking about is way over the top in my opinion. That is why I said from the start that as soon as someone calls everybody who does not believe exactly like him/her heretics I tune the out.

And I do not call anyone a heretic who believes in the basic Gospel.

Agreed…my statement was just "in general"…As I've said many times I think we make this out to be harder than it is….the hard work was done 2000 years ago…we seem to let the small nuisances divide us more than we should…imho..
Amen. Advocating boycotting the Bible app seems strange.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bighunter43
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

So, anything specific that is worth refuting that he said? Other than backwards hats, asking for ministry support and assuming hyper-Calvinism? Seems very general.

In case you missed the overall point, the danger lies with having such a wide range of study information available. From Biblically sound teaching to heretical teaching, you surely can see the issue with that. Folks can get teaching from Tim Keller and then head on over the next week and get it from Joel Osteen. Obviously folks need to have some personal discernment, but some Christians may not have that quite yet.
Have you googled anything on Riley?

He thinks Billy Graham was a false teacher.

And I get the overall point and agree. Just like any app or website you have to use discernment.

And my Holy Spirit discernment tells me to avoid this guy.
Billy Graham no doubt was used mightily despite some of his flawed theology and ministerial tactics.
I honestly have a hard time making sense of someone like him. One one side, he no doubt preached the gospel to many, and it was a springboard for a lot of testimonies. On the flip side, it was potentially a flawed gospel presentation that gave false assurances to many after they said a prayer and tapped out. Either way, God is in control and can use anyone he pleases to advance his kingdom.

Just a question…..may I ask what you feel was "flawed theology and ministerial tactics" by Billy Graham?
Mostly Peaceful
Bighunter43 said:

10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

So, anything specific that is worth refuting that he said? Other than backwards hats, asking for ministry support and assuming hyper-Calvinism? Seems very general.

In case you missed the overall point, the danger lies with having such a wide range of study information available. From Biblically sound teaching to heretical teaching, you surely can see the issue with that. Folks can get teaching from Tim Keller and then head on over the next week and get it from Joel Osteen. Obviously folks need to have some personal discernment, but some Christians may not have that quite yet.

And I get the overall point and agree. Just like any app or website you have to use discernment.

Billy Graham no doubt was used mightily despite some of his flawed theology and ministerial tactics.
I honestly have a hard time making sense of someone like him. One one side, he no doubt preached the gospel to many, and it was a springboard for a lot of testimonies. On the flip side, it was potentially a flawed gospel presentation that gave false assurances to many after they said a prayer and tapped out. Either way, God is in control and can use anyone he pleases to advance his kingdom.

Just a question…..may I ask what you feel was "flawed theology and ministerial tactics" by Billy Graham?

I love Billy Graham. Anytime I get a free trial of Sirius it's locked on the Billy Graham channel. I'm not aware of anything he ever preached at one of his crusades that I would deem as heretical.

I think his biggest flaw was a tendency to avoid controversy at all costs. It may explain why he seemed to downplay the exclusivity of Christ in salvation on more than one occasion, most notably in an interview on the Hour of Power in the late 90s. He also opened his crusade committees to those on the liberal edge of the theological spectrum. We're talking denials of the diety of Christ and the Bible's inspiration and infallibility. Consequently, many crusade attendees would be referred to churches who were unbeholden to the authority of Scripture.
Bighunter43
AG
Mostly Peaceful said:

Bighunter43 said:

10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

I love Billy Graham. Anytime I get a free trial of Sirius it's locked on the Billy Graham channel. I'm not aware of anything he ever preached at one of his crusades that I would deem as heretical.

I think his biggest flaw was a tendency to avoid controversy at all costs. It may explain why he seemed to downplay the exclusivity of Christ in salvation on more than one occasion, most notably in an interview on the Hour of Power in the late 90s. He also opened his crusade committees to those on the liberal edge of the theological spectrum. We're talking denials of the diety of Christ and the Bible's inspiration and infallibility. Consequently, many crusade attendees would be referred to churches who were unbeholden to the authority of Scripture.

As for the Hour of Power interview….I've watched it and it's obviously contrary to Graham's whole life and stance on Christ. The response I am linking makes perfect sense….in that he had Parkinson's and probably dementia at the time of the interview….and was more than confused and probably taken out of context. (I hadn't heard of the liberal associations with the crusade).

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0075sc
dermdoc
AG
I read Billy Graham devotionals daily. Love it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.