Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective (Relaunch Part Deux)
329,718 Views | 7790 Replies
Teslag
5:41p, 5/2/24
In reply to Build It
Where did I claim there wasn't any?
Ag with kids
5:52p, 5/2/24
In reply to Build It
Build It said:

I didn't say that. But to suggest there aren't many ethic Russians that have lived generations in the East and Crimea who don't identify as Ukrainian is simply wrong.
There's always the Russification that the Russians have been forcing on the people that live in those areas, too...
Build It
5:57p, 5/2/24
In reply to Ag with kids
I promise I received many A's in English. However I mistyped and said Ukrainian when I meant Russian. I edited it. I'll ban myself for a few hours
Tanker123
12:19a, 5/3/24
What is not talked about much is the national disaster millions of Ukrainians are experiencing. Ukraine is fighting two wars - Russia and national disaster. It is juggling a lot of glass balls.
Rongagin71
12:34a, 5/3/24
Here is an Irish Star article that might qualify as somewhat "different".

https://www.irishstar.com/news/us-news/vladimir-putin-alarmed-after-ukrainian-32723766
YouBet
12:51a, 5/3/24
Quote:

the conflict will freeze and we will have to negotiate with Putin," the publication quotes the words of an officer of the 5th assault brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, which holds the defense in Chasovy Yar.
Someone needs to inform the Ukrainians that this reality happened months ago. It's just a matter of when the US and the EU decide to actually go to the table.
nortex97
4:27a, 5/3/24
In reply to Rongagin71
Different in an absurd way, sure. The Kerch bridge is held as some sort of propaganda target in some minds, but is militarily irrelevant with the rail line route for supplies existing separately now.

From a weapons perspective Russia's reach with thermobaric MLRS systems in urban areas is increasing, a more significant development than the (Already delivered) ATACM's the Ukrainians want to use to reach into Russian infrastructure;

The real question is what can Europe actually give the Ukrainians to keep them in the fight. Hungary certainly opposes the 5 year forever-war plan. The answer appears to be 'not much.'

Tanker123
6:39p, 5/3/24
One side is waging Total War. The other side is waging very Limited War.
PlaneCrashGuy
8:52p, 5/3/24
In reply to Tanker123
While true, that is mostly just a function of Russia being so much larger with well over 4x the population.
Tanker123
11:13p, 5/3/24
In reply to PlaneCrashGuy
Ukraine needs aviation assets like attack helicopters, fighters, CAS, bombers. It can't fight the full spectrum of warfare without them. Therefore, they can't conduct maneuver warfare to breach Russian defensive lines and can't conduct movement to contact with large units.
fullback44
11:30p, 5/3/24
In reply to Tanker123
Tanker123 said:

Ukraine needs aviation assets like attack helicopters, fighters, CAS, bombers. It can't fight the full spectrum of warfare without them.
But no one is going to give them their best aviation equipment .., if they get some planes It will be small quarries of F16s and other left over older used planes …. I don't see Ukraine lasting another year in the war .. their moral has to be headed in the wrong direction I would think ?
Tanker123
11:47p, 5/3/24
In reply to fullback44
fullback44 said:

Tanker123 said:

Ukraine needs aviation assets like attack helicopters, fighters, CAS, bombers. It can't fight the full spectrum of warfare without them.
But no one is going to give them their best aviation equipment .., if they get some planes It will be small quarries of F16s and other left over older used planes …. I don't see Ukraine lasting another year in the war .. their moral has to be headed in the wrong direction I would think ?

Then they are relegated to fighting in linear formations which plays into the strength of the Russians. Without sufficient aviation, then I can't see Ukraine tipping the war in their favor. That is my gut feeling. I could be wrong, but nothing transpiring now gives me confidence Ukraine can execute manuever warfare with large units because it can't breach or bypass Russian forces. It will be attrition warfare.
nortex97
4:55a, 5/4/24
In reply to Tanker123
Ukraine lacks the bodies more than anything. I am tired of posting the 'recruiting' videos from twitter but there are a lot of them.

It's been a cesspool of a country for a long time. That Soros and the Biden familia have been profiteers off Ukraine for 10+ years is just one more reason not to support sending another dime.

We don't have…the things they would need in any case. And the Russians are…not running out of people or materiel.

(Above is a long tweet, worth the click.)

Forever war, comrades!
PlaneCrashGuy
6:42a, 5/4/24
I think these two tweets great insight into the Russian mind. Specifically, they have this idea that their fight in Ukraine is a fight for the survival of their people. They really, honestly, fully believe that.

notex
8:20a, 5/4/24
Not a big fan of that speech and I have no idea where those guys were, but I would like to think it was some sort of "St. Crispin's day" theory of motivational speeches yet probably high on bravado. Weird deal to release that though if many of them did subsequently die. Supposedly, young soldiers in WW1 etc. would often urinate on themselves etc. before being ordered out of the trenches. Horrible stuff to think about ground hand to hand combat etc. like that.

The Russians clearly have a substantial part of their population that see the war as justified and right. I don't care about Ukraine one iota and don't think we should be prolonging the slaughter for a party that has no chance to win.
Tanker123
10:13a, 5/4/24
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

Ukraine lacks the bodies more than anything. I am tired of posting the 'recruiting' videos from twitter but there are a lot of them.

It's been a cesspool of a country for a long time. That Soros and the Biden familia have been profiteers off Ukraine for 10+ years is just one more reason not to support sending another dime.

We don't have…the things they would need in any case. And the Russians are…not running out of people or materiel.

(Above is a long tweet, worth the click.)

Forever war, comrades!
No. Nations with smaller militaries have won wars. The number of service member is part of the equation. Tactics, weapons, and weapons systems are integral to warfare as well. Ukraine needs weapons systems that shape the conditions necessary to breach or bypass Russian defenses and conduct large unit movement to contacts. They are incapable of Combined Arms Warfare. If the US enters the war, it will use fighters, CAS, bombers, and attack helicopters. To do otherwise would be patently stupid.
nortex97
5:24a, 5/5/24
In reply to Tanker123
Ukraine lacks the people, and materiel, so I guess I disagree, respectfully. This is where they are; they will never go on a real offensive against Russia, period.

Meanwhile the Russians grind along toward Kharkiv;

Georgian PM accuses Washington of twice attempting to spark a coup in the past couple years to open a second proxy war front on Moscow;

Quote:

Washington has backed two "revolution attempts" in Georgia over the past years, the nation's prime minister, Irakli Kobakhidze, said on Saturday. A successful coup would have turned the former Soviet state into another bridgehead used to open "the second front" against Moscow, he warned.

The statements came as Kobakhidze discussed the present American attitude toward recent developments in his nation with Derek Chollet, the counselor of the US State Department, the prime minister said on X (formerly Twitter). Washington's current rhetoric reminds him of previous "false" statements made by US officials that had already led to "violence," he added.
YouBet
9:37a, 5/5/24
If this isn't a sign of the end I don't know what is. It's also almost comical as well.

https://www.wsj.com/finance/ukraine-debt-payments-russia-war-1c0c301e?st=4y8n7ee7l4q19lb&reflink=article_copyURL_share

Quote:

Ukraine's lenders said Kyiv could wait to pay them back after Russian troops stormed into the country two years ago. Now, their patience is starting to run out. A group of foreign bondholders including BlackRock and Pimco plans to press Ukraine to start paying interest on its debt again as soon as next year, according to people familiar with the matter.

Zelenskyy got his money from us and now Blackrock is immediately saying they want their cut of that.

Quote:

The group wants Kyiv, which is fresh off clinching roughly $60 billion in U.S. aid, to strike a deal in which it would resume payments in exchange for forgiveness of a big chunk of the country's outstanding debt. Some bondholders in the group have discussed the plans with senior officials in Kyiv.

When the bondholders agreed to a two-year debt holiday in 2022, many thought the war would be over by now.

Ya think?

Quote:

The U.S. and its allies are concerned that taxpayers' money will wind up in bondholders' hands if Ukraine resumes any type of debt service. The countries agreed to give Ukraine a debt holiday on roughly $4 billion of their own loans, until 2027, and have voiced concerns that bondholders could start to be repaid ahead of them.
PlaneCrashGuy
11:02a, 5/5/24
I'm not so sure its Russia who is losing respect on the world stage. Our leader is a joke
Tanker123
11:44a, 5/5/24
PlaneCrashGuy said:

I'm not so sure its Russia who is losing respect on the world stage. Our leader is a joke

Why do you consider he is a joke?
YouBet
2:16p, 5/5/24
In reply to Tanker123
Tanker123 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Rhetorical?
Tanker123
3:53p, 5/5/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

Tanker123 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Rhetorical?
It's not rhetorical. However, I am not going to turn this into a political thread. There is enough acrimony in the country.
Tanker123
4:12p, 5/5/24
Does the invention of Blitzkrieg and its use in WWII have any parallels with the war in Ukraine?
nortex97
4:38p, 5/5/24
In reply to Tanker123
Not really. ISR, lack of air superiority, mines, and FPV etc. drones make such a doctrine largely irrelevant (and this is what obviates the Russians' advantage in armor/infantry/mechanized forces/artillery alike). Nothing resembling this is practical in the present space, unless/until one side essentially suffers from a rapid collapse, via maneuver warfare.

The caveat would be if they do…more air assault etc. attacks in the Ukrainian rear as in the first weeks of the war. That is possible, pending a major offensive, and would then possibly spring things 'free.'

I may have put this on the other one too but worth noting;

Meanwhile, amidst the disastrous Xiden proxy war's pending denouement (from an American perspective), Xi Jinping hammers the point home this week as the strategic winner in the conflict, visiting France, Serbia, Hungary etc;

PlaneCrashGuy
4:50p, 5/5/24
In reply to Tanker123
Tanker123 said:

YouBet said:

Tanker123 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Rhetorical?
It's not rhetorical. However, I am not going to turn this into a political thread. There is enough acrimony in the country.

I definitely assumed it was rhetorical. We all just watched him **** himself. Look at how his wife reacted to the smell. Not the first time.
Tanker123
4:58p, 5/5/24
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Tanker123 said:

YouBet said:

Tanker123 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Rhetorical?

I definitely assumed it was rhetorical. We all just watched him **** himself. Look at how his wife reacted to the smell. Not the first time.
I take it you are a Trump supporter. lol
AtticusMatlock
5:07p, 5/5/24
In reply to nortex97
They've been using the TOS-3 since early in the war. Not sure why suddenly it's being reported as new.
nortex97
5:25p, 5/5/24
In reply to AtticusMatlock
I haven't seen that reported. Contrary reporting is prevalent.
nortex97
4:50a, 5/6/24
Weekly round up;

Russian casualties and use of conscripts/PMC (mercenary) units seems to be at a low point:

Soon? Let's hope.
nortex97
1:24p, 5/6/24
Propaganda war around Ukraine from the political left in America/Europe is somehow…increasing. Anne Applebaum is married to a 'former' Polish politician, fwiw.
Quote:

Anne Applebaum, the propagandist who just put out the hit-piece on me, is a well-decorated Pulitzer Prize winning historian and journalist.

She is married to former Polish Minister of Defense, and current EU bureaucrat, Radoslaw Sikorsky…

WTF is going on?

These are some pretty high-profile individuals, who have been producing pro-NATO propaganda for decades, trying to discredit US/Ukrainian biological activity, and defaming me in the process.

This is not just your standard media hit-piece. This is part of a broader political propaganda campaign, conducted by lifelong EU bureaucrats, to run cover for their crimes against humanity…

Anne's reporting and upcoming book are nothing but State-sponsored propaganda, as part of a last ditch effort to reclaim control of public perception.

They already failed.

Always follow the money, and relationships.
Tanker123
1:24p, 5/6/24
In reply to AtticusMatlock
AtticusMatlock said:

They've been using the TOS-3 since early in the war. Not sure why suddenly it's being reported as new.
It makes me think. If an enemy was using those weapons on our cities, would we sue for peace? That is what many are suggesting.
Psycho Bunny
2:33p, 5/6/24
In other news.

Russia has said it will hold drills that will include practice for the use of tactical nuclear weapons, days after top European leaders voiced stronger military support for Ukraine.

The Kremlin said on Monday the military exercises ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin were in response to statements by Western and NATO-member countries about sending troops into Ukraine, which Russia invaded more than two years ago.

They will include practice for the preparation and deployment of nonstrategic nuclear weapons intended to "increase the readiness … to fulfill combat tasks" after "provocative statements and threats of certain Western officials", the Ministry of Defence said.

Missile formations in the Southern Military District and naval forces will take part in the drills, which would take place "in the near future", it added

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/6/russia-announces-nuclear-weapon-drills-after-provocative-western-threats
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
Stat Monitor Repairman
2:40p, 5/6/24

US soldier stationed in Korea gets honeypotted; travels to Vladivostok; gets thrown in Russian jail.

The Beau Bergdal of Russian split-tail.
Stat Monitor Repairman
3:13p, 5/6/24
Quote:

Russia has said it will hold drills that will include practice for the use of tactical nuclear weapons
Who was it that lol'ed when this issue was floated a few weeks ago?
Artorias
3:41p, 5/6/24
In reply to Tanker123
Tanker123 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Because we have eyes, ears, and a functioning brain?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 220 of 223
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings