Changes with the Corps
15,207 Views | 141 Replies
Tex100
9:24a, 4/24/24
In reply to BQRyno
BQRyno said:

n1mr0d said:

Source is the recent issuance of a couple thousand pair of brown shoes. No you didn't miss the memo. michalis doesn't send memos (to parents at least). He acts in secrecy. Go to Final Review this weekend and see for yourself.
If this is true (big if, but will come to light one way or another in short order), he's really going to have a hard time cultivating (can't say maintaining because I don't think he's been transparent until he's caught with his hand in the cookie jar) an image of transparency. I imagine he'd say it's just the color of belts and shoes, there's a good reason, etc etc, but in the broader context, this would not be a good look.

For those saying change could be good and if this or that doesn't work, we can just go back, I have a question. When does that ever happen? Once the train leaves the station, there's typically no going back. That's why "progress" for the sake of progress is dangerous. In reality, we never go back.
. How can you? Current cadets only know what they have seen.
tamc93
9:28a, 4/24/24
In reply to Tex100
I saw that later. I suck at golf so that could be fun to frustrate him more.
pilgrimshadow
9:32a, 4/24/24
In reply to Ryan the Temp
"Personally, I think if the commandant can make a compelling case for a change, I'm willing to give him a shot with it."

I'd venture to say the majority agree with this. The problem is, he hasn't made a compelling case, nor has he given any indication he will try to. All we have are vague statements about fish not meeting standards with no indication as to what exactly they are deficient in or how his plan is tailored to address those deficiencies. Nor has he given any other reason to trust the process used to develop his plan.

For better or worse, the Corps is not the military or an academy and it can't be like them even if we all wanted it to be. It is voluntary. Cadets can choose to leave any time. That makes certain leadership approaches ineffective. When you lead volunteers, you can't just say, "Do it this way or else!" You have to do the hard work of winning hearts and minds through trust. It seems that every one of these commandant generals initially fail at this.
BQRyno
10:17a, 4/24/24
In reply to pilgrimshadow
From a former cadet perspective, it seems like he doesn't think he needs to present a compelling case for change. He sees a need for change and only needs to do enough to prevent a total mutiny. He doesn't need buy-in. If it's just a bunch of former students grumbling and some current cadets who quit, then within a couple of years his new corps will be the only corps anyone on campus has ever known. If in his mind he's convinced the proposed path forward it the optimal path forward, then the complaints right now are just a small price to pay.
redcrayon
11:30a, 4/24/24
In reply to fc2112
fc2112 said:

Excellent response.

What's outfit were you in? What year?
redcrayon
11:31a, 4/24/24
In reply to BQRyno
BQRyno said:

For those saying change could be good and if this or that doesn't work, we can just go back, I have a question. When does that ever happen? Once the train leaves the station, there's typically no going back. That's why "progress" for the sake of progress is dangerous. In reality, we never go back.
TXAG 05
6:10p, 4/24/24
Will all the cadets get brown belts/shoes, or just the black belts?
stallion6
9:04p, 4/24/24
In reply to japantiger
japantiger said:

Was not a member of the Corp, nor did I attend A&M. My oldest son Class of 2020, graduated in the Corp and is currently a serving Army Officer. I was a Marine NCO, 100 years ago.

I saw two glaring deficiencies in his Corp Experience.

Hazing culture and unqualified Sophomores and upper classmen responsible for training Freshmen.
  • No one should be responsible for training 18 year old Freshman that hasn't had some rigorous training on how to train young people...yes, there needs to be a certification
  • In addition, they should only be turned loose after having trained under supervision of more qualified personnel
  • The basics of what is allowed/not allowed varies widely across units
  • This is a basic that needs to be addressed under any new plan. I can see Sophomores being involved in training, but in charge of it, hell no. A training academy is needed if Corp students are to be the primary trainers.

Military vs Civilian leadership focus
  • Separate the two groups...the current co mingling just creates needless drama...
  • Service contract members should be on one track and college students on another
  • Different training cadres, different training curriculum, et al
  • My son's ROTC training was quite good...the cadre that trained him were well qualified and based on his performance to date, I would say he was well prepared for Army life

Trust me. If he was class of 2020 he never saw true hazing.
File5
10:22p, 4/24/24
Let's just swap Per Unitatem Vis out for Vox Populi and call it a day.
n1mr0d
3:14p, 4/26/24
has anyone seen a formal announcement from michalis' staff for the uniform change? I have asked another parent in the mailing list for and received the last several commandants updates. No mention of something as significant as a change in the official uniforms of the Corps. Why is that? wtf?
ABATTBQ87
3:30p, 4/26/24
In reply to TXAG 05
TXAG 05 said:

Will all the cadets get brown belts/shoes, or just the black belts?
from the You know you were in the Corps at A&M when Facebook page; some dad posted this picture of his son's JR uniform, including brown shoes

n1mr0d
4:17p, 4/26/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
rumor settled. The question remains…..how is this happening so quietly? What is the point of the change? Make the Corps more like the army? What's next? Where is the accountability and transparency?
ABATTBQ87
5:37p, 4/26/24
In reply to n1mr0d
n1mr0d said:

rumor settled. The question remains…..how is this happening so quietly? What is the point of the change? Make the Corps more like the army? What's next? Where is the accountability and transparency?
Brown shoes are the same that the Army wears with their new pink and green uniforms:

rgleml
6:10p, 4/26/24
Kind of off subject, but didn't Obama refer to the Marines as the Marine Corpse?
OldArmy71
6:36p, 4/26/24
Sigh.

What an unnecessary hassle and waste of money.

Of all the things to be worried about, deciding to change the color of belts and shoes?

A&M isn't the Army. It has its own uniform.

Breaking news: The Army also doesn't have different colors to distinguish the four classes. It also doesn't have officer's boots. It also doesn't have Sam Browne belts.
aggiephoenix02
6:44p, 4/26/24
I always thought the Corps was supposed to change you, not the other way around. But inevitably there were a few cadets that wanted to leave their mark on the Corps, or an outfit, they had the ego to think they can improve a 150 year old institution with their ridiculous and often tedious and/or worthless changes.

This turd of a commandant seems just like those jerks. Hopefully someone flushes him soon… CRAPPER! SHOOT IT!
BillYeoman
7:03p, 4/26/24
Just reading this…..but is everyone *****ing about change in the color of shoes?"
aggiephoenix02
7:08p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
BillYeoman said:

Just reading this…..but is everyone *****ing about change in the color of shoes?"
No…
n1mr0d
7:10p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
bill, take your cougar high bull**** somewhere else. It is more than the shoes. Let us see…in 24 months we have had the 1st corps commander that never went through a fish year, 1st openly gay corps commander, fish brigade, now the uniform changes.

michalis is an agent of change. a dei crusader. he is bent on destroying the corps. he had an agenda in the us army and he is doing the same here.
BillYeoman
7:28p, 4/26/24
In reply to n1mr0d
n1mr0d said:

bill, take your cougar high bull**** somewhere else. It is more than the shoes. Let us see…in 24 months we have had the 1st corps commander that never went through a fish year, 1st openly gay corps commander, fish brigade, now the uniform changes.

michalis is an agent of change. a dei crusader. he is bent on destroying the corps. he had an agenda in the us army and he is doing the same here.

In what way is he a DEI crusader? If he has championed DEI….where has that happened?
aggiephoenix02
7:33p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
BillYeoman said:

n1mr0d said:

In what way is he a DEI crusader? If he has championed DEI….where has that happened?
It's gotta be the shoes!

/Mars Blackmon
fredfredunderscorefred
7:41p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
BillYeoman said:

n1mr0d said:

https://thebatt.com/news/brigadier-general-patrick-r-michaelis-to-serve-as-46th-corps-commandant/

Michaelis said he plans to amplify current priorities in the Corps and put a focus on academics and diversity and inclusion.

"That is a powerful message in the decision space of young men and women wanting to join to be a part of the Corps at A&M and also in their parents," Michaelis said. "I think we've got an obligation to help cadets to be the best version of themselves, through academic assistance and through an inclusive cadet experience."
BillYeoman
7:49p, 4/26/24
In reply to fredfredunderscorefred
fredfredunderscorefred said:

BillYeoman said:

n1mr0d said:

https://thebatt.com/news/brigadier-general-patrick-r-michaelis-to-serve-as-46th-corps-commandant/

Michaelis said he plans to amplify current priorities in the Corps and put a focus on academics and diversity and inclusion.

"That is a powerful message in the decision space of young men and women wanting to join to be a part of the Corps at A&M and also in their parents," Michaelis said. "I think we've got an obligation to help cadets to be the best version of themselves, through academic assistance and through an inclusive cadet experience."

That might be language close to DEI but it isn't DEI.

I am giving this Corps Commander the benefit of the doubt here.

aggiephoenix02
7:54p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
That's a clever troll.

Or you know nothing about any of this…
Jim Hogg is angry
7:56p, 4/26/24
Haven't followed the Corps in over two decades. Is there anything left after Ted Hopgood gutted it?
n1mr0d
8:00p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
that is comforting bill. doesn't cougar high have a fan board? you don't have the first effing clue what this is about. So kindly see yourself out.
ABATTBQ87
8:53p, 4/26/24
In reply to rgleml
rgleml said:

Kind of off subject, but didn't Obama refer to the Marines as the Marine Corpse?
https://www.military.com/video/forces/marine-corps/obama-mispronounces-corpsman/663155186001
rgleml
9:05p, 4/26/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
Thanks
BillYeoman
10:00p, 4/26/24
In reply to n1mr0d
n1mr0d said:

that is comforting bill. doesn't cougar high have a fan board? you don't have the first effing clue what this is about. So kindly see yourself out.

This is the politics board.

And maybe I don't know anything about the Corps as you might see it. Maybe.

But maybe you should provide a bit more proof to the DEI innuendos. And maybe you should give this guy a chance instead of suggesting he is a subversive Commie. Which is DEI.

aggiephoenix02
10:25p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
You know almost nothing about the structure of this organization. You have very little idea what it means to join the Cadet Corps at A&M. Your input into this is so out of bounds that you appear to be a troll.

You know so little on the subject that you're posting is unnecessary and useless. If you truly want to join in on the conversation on any meaningful level you need to do a lot of research. We aren't here to explain things, we're telling you to get up to speed on the subject or butt out…
BillYeoman
10:37p, 4/26/24
In reply to aggiephoenix02
aggiephoenix02 said:

You know almost nothing about the structure of this organization. You have very little idea what it means to join the Cadet Corps at A&M. Your input into this is so out of bounds that you appear to be a troll.

You know so little on the subject that you're posting is unnecessary and useless. If you truly want to join in on the conversation on any meaningful level you need to do a lot of research. We aren't here to explain things, we're telling you to get up to speed on the subject or butt out…

I only asked for people to explain why Michaelis is a DEI Commie. As a lot are suggesting.

Regardless of what I know (or do not know) about the Corps nobody has explained that to any reasonable satisfactory answer.

aggiephoenix02
10:39p, 4/26/24
In reply to BillYeoman
You're right, "It's gotta be the shoes!"
BQRyno
10:57p, 4/26/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
At least there's still white belts I guess. For now…

Same question as above - why the secrecy? Not good.
n1mr0d
5:19a, 4/27/24
In reply to BillYeoman
it is there. i have heard it is incredible and will be released. he is the worst commandant since 1876.
TexasAggie73
10:37a, 4/27/24
In reply to OldArmy71
Shoe color and belts are just going back to Old Army. This was the style before 1957.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings