30 year olds doing worse than parents

19 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by cecil77
Tex117
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

[Trolling other posters to incite a reaction is out of bounds -- Staff]
AgDad121619
AG
This has been a fascinating read. And since I'm a tail end boomer and leading edge Gen X. Please tell me unemotionally why I'm the cause of all problems as a boomer so I can decide if I want to claim gen x

All my kids are millennials and have great jobs, take great trips and all own homes. If you want to blame boomers /X as a whole for anything it is raising kids with participation trophies that are weak minded when it comes to adversity. Which I see a lot of in this thread
mandevilleag
My son makes decent money installing portable ice rinks. In fact, I think they set up the Aggie hockey team with a rink.

His wife makes the real money as a managing partner of a digital marketing firm.

Both are from middle class backgrounds, so no help from parents.
Aglaw97
AG
This thread is an interesting read into the mindset of generations. Of course you can wrongly paint a broad brush and claim everyone in a given generation is homogenous, which isn't correct.

I'm Gen X here. For all of those hating on the boomers, we were raised by them. If anyone has a legitimate beef, it's us. Haha.

In all seriousness, I tend to notice our generation complains the least about other generations. We also seem to get the least press, probably by our choice. I think that's due to us being considered the forgotten generation. We were the first generation where two working parents was more common than not. Divorce rates and single parents were much higher. We were the latchkey kids. That molded us to be more independent and resourceful and from what I've noticed, a mindset of accepting life on life's terms and dealing with that reality as it approaches us without worrying too much how it got there.

I'm not saying that's good, bad or indifferent, but curious if any other X-ers feel the same?
WestHoustonAg79
Wyoming Aggie said:

Let's give it up for the Boomers for destroying the greatest country the world has ever known.

This. EOT
VegasAg86
AG
WestHoustonAg79 said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

Let's give it up for the Boomers for destroying the greatest country the world has ever known.

This. EOT

Wrong. EOT.
WestHoustonAg79
Aglaw97 said:

This thread is an interesting read into the mindset of generations. Of course you can wrongly paint a broad brush and claim everyone in a given generation is homogenous, which isn't correct.

I'm Gen X here. For all of those hating on the boomers, we were raised by them. If anyone has a legitimate beef, it's us. Haha.

In all seriousness, I tend to notice our generation complains the least about other generations. We also seem to get the least press, probably by our choice. I think that's due to us being considered the forgotten generation. We were the first generation where two working parents was more common than not. Divorce rates and single parents were much higher. We were the latchkey kids. That molded us to be more independent and resourceful and from what I've noticed, a mindset of accepting life on life's terms and dealing with that reality as it approaches us without worrying too much how it got there.

I'm not saying that's good, bad or indifferent, but curious if any other X-ers feel the same?

Good picture of Gen Xers imo. Yall are much smaller than other generations as well which is a big factor leading to some of their attributes. Not saying that negatively.
PGAG
AG
Work from home? Yeah they have it so much worse
Aggies1322
AG
PGAG said:

Work from home? Yeah they have it so much worse

14% of people wfh.. lol wut
PGAG
AG
In that age group? It seems like almost every one I know does at least partially. Maybe my sample group is not representative
Aggies1322
AG
PGAG said:

In that age group? It seems like almost every one I know does at least partially. Maybe my sample group is not representative

Across all workers in the US.
ShaggySLC
30 year olds today

Cromagnum
AG
ShaggySLC said:

30 year olds today

That beta looks like he came straight off the set of Big Bang Theory.
CanyonAg77
AG
Cromagnum said:

That beta looks like he came straight off the set of Big Bang Theory.

Yeah, Sheldon's girlfriend Amy
IIIHorn

If the Y axis depicted level of attitude for taking personal responsibility for outcomes, would the resulting plot change substantially?

Yukon Cornelius
AG
captkirk said:

I guess those liberal arts and social science degrees didn't quite pan out.

True but you have to understand the universities made those degrees instead of expanding engineering and business programs. Look at A&M. Those degrees are artificially limited.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Owlagdad said:

When I was thirty, I didn't have as much as my parents. They had spent a lifetime getting there. And it didn't bother me.
I lived through Carter and early Reagan inflation years. You do what you can do.
Yes, economy is crappy now and is difficult and deck is stacked worse. And it is Biden fault, or whoever tells him what to do.
But you can overcome. You can move ( some folks think that good job ought to plop out of the sky so you don't have to leave grandma)

This explains so much of how we got here
cecil77
AG
Quote:

When I was thirty, I didn't have as much as my parents. They had spent a lifetime getting there. And it didn't bother me.

Uhh.. the discussion is you at 30 compared to your parents at 30.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.