American tourist caught with ammo in Turks and Caicos

23 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Bubblez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
..and now is facing 12 years in prison. I don't know why people think other countries should abide by our gun laws, or be given some sort of privilege to do as they please. If you travel, you really should know the stuff that could get yourself into big trouble.

[Removing this last section. No need to troll the board -- Staff]

Quote:

An American father is facing 12 years in prison in Turks and Caicos after ammunition was found in his luggage as he returned home from a vacation with his wife.

Ryan Watson, 40, has remained on the island for weeks following his arrest on April 11 alongside his wife Valerie, 38, who saw her charges dropped on Monday as she was allowed to return home to their two young children.

The couple said they were passing through airport security when four rounds of hunting ammo was found in Ryan's carry-on, which they claim were left by accident.

Valerie said she and her husband enjoyed a picturesque vacation for a friend's birthday on the Caribbean islands, but their trip quickly 'went from what was supposed to be a dream vacation to a nightmare.'

A small bag of bullets in a zip-lock bag were found in his luggage, which US TSA had missed on their departing flight, which Ryan said in an interview before his first court hearing that he 'recognized' immediately from a recent deer hunting trip.

'They were hunting ammunition rounds for white tail deer, and I recognized them and thought, "what a bonehead mistake,' he said. 'I had no idea that those were in there.'

The couple were forced to remain on the island as their passports were seized, as Ryan said officials brushed off his pleas that it was a 'complete innocent mistake.'

Despite their insistence that the ammunition was accidentally left from a previous hunting trip, Turks and Caicos prosecutors maintained that the crime is a serious offense in the nation. In 2022, the nation passed stricter laws that mandated a 12-year minimum sentence for ammunition possession.

Valerie through tears that when she heard the mandatory sentence, she was 'immediately terrified, because we can't be in prison for 12 years, we have kids at home.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13345369/Ryan-watson-Turks-Caicos-ammunition-luggage.html
sam callahan
I'm guilty of the hypocrisy you allege.

But if video comes out of this guy kneeling during the anthem, I'll change my mind pretty quick.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's a chicken-crap law and amount of ammo to get arrested over.

But it is their law.

Know it

Obey it

Never use the same bag for hunting as you do for any travel.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I'm sure Joe will make a phone call on her behalf.
sam callahan
Dudes lawyer should announce he is trans - he'll be out within hours
MouthBQ98
AG
Never mix your shooting gear and your travel gear, especially baggage. Don't do it.
TA-OP
Sounds similar to the Andrew Tahmooressi incident.
oh no
AG
maybe the US gov will trade another merchant of death for this guy
Rydyn
AG
Quote:

I don't know why people think other countries should abide by our gun laws, or be given some sort of privilege to do as they please.
He didn't. Read your own article.
techno-ag
AG
I would be in support of a tourism boycott of Turks and Caicos. Let's hit them in the pocketbook.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
zag213004
AG
I don't think that country is an enemy of USA (therefore not a Russia situation). I would hope our government would reach out to the turks' government to try and come up with a solution to get US citizens back. Tourism dominates Turks' economy and with its proximity to USA I would think most of it comes from USA. US gov could sink their economy with messaging steering travellers away from those islands. It behooves the Turks govt to send them home with a fine paid there and a lifetime ban in visiting the country
sam callahan
Quote:

But it is their law.

Know it

Obey it

I've been to the Turks and Caicos and 40 or so other countries. Never read up on their gun laws before going, save a hunting expedition in Argentina.

Not gonna bust his balls for not knowing their crap law.
Street Fighter
AG
Quote:

US TSA had missed on their departing flight

Anyone else not shocked at this? Bet they caught that non travel sized toothpaste though.
RafterAg223
AG
Bubblez said:

..and now is facing 12 years in prison. I don't know why people think other countries should abide by our gun laws, or be given some sort of privilege to do as they please. If you travel, you really should know the stuff that could get yourself into big trouble.

Also, I'm sure many of those on the right that wanted Brittney Griner to rot away in a Russian prison will be wanting this guy rescued.

Quote:

An American father is facing 12 years in prison in Turks and Caicos after ammunition was found in his luggage as he returned home from a vacation with his wife.

Ryan Watson, 40, has remained on the island for weeks following his arrest on April 11 alongside his wife Valerie, 38, who saw her charges dropped on Monday as she was allowed to return home to their two young children.

The couple said they were passing through airport security when four rounds of hunting ammo was found in Ryan's carry-on, which they claim were left by accident.

Valerie said she and her husband enjoyed a picturesque vacation for a friend's birthday on the Caribbean islands, but their trip quickly 'went from what was supposed to be a dream vacation to a nightmare.'

A small bag of bullets in a zip-lock bag were found in his luggage, which US TSA had missed on their departing flight, which Ryan said in an interview before his first court hearing that he 'recognized' immediately from a recent deer hunting trip.

'They were hunting ammunition rounds for white tail deer, and I recognized them and thought, "what a bonehead mistake,' he said. 'I had no idea that those were in there.'

The couple were forced to remain on the island as their passports were seized, as Ryan said officials brushed off his pleas that it was a 'complete innocent mistake.'

Despite their insistence that the ammunition was accidentally left from a previous hunting trip, Turks and Caicos prosecutors maintained that the crime is a serious offense in the nation. In 2022, the nation passed stricter laws that mandated a 12-year minimum sentence for ammunition possession.

Valerie through tears that when she heard the mandatory sentence, she was 'immediately terrified, because we can't be in prison for 12 years, we have kids at home.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13345369/Ryan-watson-Turks-Caicos-ammunition-luggage.html
It sucks, but it's the law. Just like it's the law that you cannot come in to this country in illegal fashion. You aren't going to gotcha any conservatives with your trolling here. There are plenty of the laws in this country that people on your side choose to discard.

I think its absolutely usurious that a crime of this nature would carry this type of penalty, but it is what it is. Ignorance of what may or may not be in your bag when you travel does not exonerate you. I do find it interesting that the TSA, an absolute JV squad of incompetent "officers", just let this slide right on through the checkpoint. But heaven forbid you try to run through that area with 4 oz of lotion, half a bottle of ozarka, or a pair of scissors that are .1mm too long. But more government agencies like this one are the answers to every problem for you guys on the left.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Gotcha post not so gotcha.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Irish 2.0
If T&C sentences him to any time at all, it will be to their own detriment and severely hurt their economy that is 91% services/tourism.

ETA:
Not defending the guilty party. Just stating that this is a cut your nose to spite your face moment for T&C and they better choose wisely.
usmcbrooks
Op you've been waiting for something like this to happen just so you could run here and call us hypocrites. Troll post at best, do better.
El Gallo Blanco
Don't visit other stupid trash countries with braindead trash laws.
El Gallo Blanco
Irish 2.0 said:

If T&C sentences him to any time at all, it will be to their own detriment and severely hurt their economy is 91% services/tourism.

ETA:
Not defending the guilty party. Just stating that this is a cut your nose to spite your face moment for T&C and they better choose wisely.
This...I would say that they get a disproportionate amount of responsible/conservative tourists, as opposed to typical liberal trash. A lot of people will take notice if they do something very stupid here.
AgGrad99
AG
I hear people comparing this to Griner's situation, but they're obviously completely different situations, if you stop to think about it for half a second.

Brittany Griner purposefully tried to sneak in illegal substances into a country that has very strict rules about drugs. A country she lived/worked in part time (not just visited). She purposefully chose to break the law, in a place she should know the laws.

This guy accidentally left a few rounds in his bag. Not the gun, you would need to use the ammo...but a few rounds of ammo, mistakenly left in his bag.

It would be pretty ironic, if this admin traded a notorious gun/arms merchant, for Griner who purposefully broke the law, and left this guy out to dry for a few rounds of ammo mistakenly in his bag.

Bad mistake to make, but an obvious mistake. Surely Turks and Caicos will see the squeeze isnt worth the juice here, and show some goodwill since they rely on our travel dollars.
Logos Stick
It's a British territory.

I'm sure the Brits/monarchy could exert some influence here and get this dismissed.
fixer
Bubblez said:

..and now is facing 12 years in prison. I don't know why people think other countries should abide by our gun laws, or be given some sort of privilege to do as they please.

Because hoplophobia is a pervasive threat to a basic human right…

And I'll also say travel to multiple states in the US can get you jammed up for similar reasons.

oh no
AG
this tourist might vote for the anti-communist party and might have even voted for orange hitler dictator instead of the regime. therefore, he probably needs to sit in a T&C prison for 12 years.
B-1 83
AG
Bubblez said:

Quote:

The whole post was a troll. The concept that these people were trying to circumvent another country's laws with a small bag of bullets as some sort "privilege" is an asinine take thrown out there purely to get a reaction.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
aggiehawg
AG
Have separate and easily distinguishable bags for hunting trips versus vacations.

For people who travel into South or Central America for hunting, how do they bring their gear?
12thMan9
AG
Street Fighter said:

Quote:

Anyone else not shocked at this? Bet they caught that non travel sized toothpaste though.

Apparently every idiotic post missed it.
Ronnie '88
BCG Disciple
AG
12thMan9 said:

Street Fighter said:

Quote:

Is TSA supposed to check for a couple spare rounds of ammo in a bag? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. I wouldn't have known that it is illegal to even bring ammo into countries.
Ag_B_10
AG
Bubblez said:

Quote:

This may be us if we lose the presidency and both houses.
brandon reading this would probably make him almost as excited as when he sniffs a young child.
Irish 2.0
BCG Disciple said:

12thMan9 said:

Street Fighter said:

Quote:

Is TSA supposed to check for a couple spare rounds of ammo in a bag? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. I wouldn't have known that it is illegal to even bring ammo into countries.
Yes. Bullets are a big no-no on planes. I'd be more worried about a couple spare rounds of ammo than the mother that's told she needs to dispose of her breast milk because it wasn't properly declared.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Is TSA supposed to check for a couple spare rounds of ammo in a bag?
If it's checked, aren't there 'sniffers' for explosive residues, which you would think ammo and a bag taken on a hunting trip might set off?

If carry-on, you would hope the Security Theater guy at the X-Ray machine might have at least wondered what those little pointy things were.
Slicer97
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

BCG Disciple said:

12thMan9 said:

Street Fighter said:

Quote:

Yes. Bullets are a big no-no on planes. I'd be more worried about a couple spare rounds of ammo than the mother that's told she needs to dispose of her breast milk because it wasn't properly declared.

I had a 20 minute conversation trying to explain to a TSA moron that the .45 cartridge I had fashioned as a keychain was ok to fly as it lacked both powder and primer (I mean, the connecter loop was run through the primer hole) and was therefore impossible to discharge. It's a harmless chunk of metal now. It took another TSA person who actually knew something about firearms to look at it and say, "Oh yeah, that's fine." Followed by, "Where did you get that and do they have them in .44 Mag?"
C@LAg
Bubblez said:

And yet, you are 100% on board with Biden's importation of millions of illegals, who are violating the laws of our land and given privileges average citizens do not get.

that makes you a hypocrite.

and while staff removed your trolling, that was still the entire point of your OP.
arrow
AG
What a ridiculous situation. This mistake could happen to almost every single person I know. The US better get this guy back home quick.
Bubblez
C@LAg said:

Bubblez said:

And yet, you are 100% on board with Biden's importation of millions of illegals, who are violating the laws of our land and given privileges average citizens do not get.

that makes you a hypocrite.

and while staff removed your trolling, that was still the entire point of your OP.
Stop with the thread derail and get back onto the topic at hand.

This guy was careless with his ammo and got caught. I verify each and every OTC drug I bring along and make sure my bags are empty. I'll avoid connecting through a Middle East country because of their laws. I don't want to get caught with a poppy seed on the sole of my shoes.
Logos Stick
Good for you. This is nothing like the Griner situation though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.