American tourist caught with ammo in Turks and Caicos

26 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by IndividualFreedom
fredfredunderscorefred
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sleepybeagle said:

I forgot about a large hunting knife in my bad about 2 years ago. Made it through security and found it in the hotel. Checked my bag going back...but that was a close call.

I feel for this guy.

randomly moved my pistol to my backpack one time; few weeks later, got to IAH and realized I was there early enough to get an earlier flight (Cancun), so my mind went to trying to rush to get to early flight - completely forgot pistol was in backpack. As soon as security conveyer stopped, i knew immediately why. TSA and local LEO said it happens all the time at IAH but usually when someone still has it on them. Lost my TSA pre-check :/ still wonder about what I would have done had it gotten through and I remembered mid-flight - no way in heck would I have wanted to bring that into mexico

12 years is insane and hopefully state dept or someone else steps in helps this guy get home
Al Bula
AG
Plot twist: guy did this intentionally to get away from the ole battle axe at home.
Barnyard96
AG
aggieforester05 said:

People that think anyone deserves 12 years in prison over forgotten ammo left in a bag are garbage human beings, that deserve to be thrown into a third world prison for 12 years. Absolutely disgusting to think that this is acceptable to do. Ruining his life, his wife's, and his children's lives over something that is absolutely useless without a firearm. Gun control advocates are amongst the worst people on earth.
Thunder18
AG
I went to school with his wife Valerie so this has been all over my FB feed for the past few days. They are wonderful people, and this is an incredibly awful situation for them and their young family. Thankfully Valerie was able to get home to their kids this week. Hopefully Ryan will be able to reunite with his family soon.
DDub74
Sorry, but might have to just bust open the checkbook. I would say $100,000. And then make an insurance claim.
Bubblez
https://suntci.com/american-tourist-facing-years-for-ammo-possession-granted-bail-in-turks-p10786-129.htm

He has been granted bail, surrendered his passport, and must check in twice a week to a police station. Next court date is on June 7th. So he has some time to continue his vacation.

Quote:

American tourist Ryan Watson who faces 12 years in Turks and Caicos Islands jail for illegally possessing four high calibre bullets, was granted $15,000 bail on Wednesday, April 24, 2024.

Supreme Court judge Tanya Lobban Jackson granted bail with one surety and ordered that 42-year-old Watson, a native of Oklahoma, surrender his travel documents and report twice weekly to the Grace Bay police station in Providenciales. He must return to court on June 7, 2024.

Prosecutor Tessja Mitchell did not object to bail and Watson's lawyer King's Counsel Oliver Smith, who appeared with Kimonne Tennant, said he was pleased with the Crown's collegial approach to the matter.

Watson, who spent the last several days on remand at police station in Providenciales, appeared in court dressed in a blue suit, white shirt and brown shoes.

After bail was granted, Watson grabbed his personal belongings in a supermarket bag from the police vehicle which brought him to the court, then had a lengthy conversation with his surety, local businessman Dellas Lightbourne and a few American friends who were in court. He declined comment.

B-1 83
AG
Bubblez said:

C@LAg said:

Bubblez said:

..and now is facing 12 years in prison. I don't know why people think other countries should abide by our gun laws, or be given some sort of privilege to do as they please. If you travel, you really should know the stuff that could get yourself into big trouble.

And yet, you are 100% on board with Biden's importation of millions of illegals, who are violating the laws of our land and given privileges average citizens do not get.

that makes you a hypocrite.

and while staff removed your trolling, that was still the entire point of your OP.
Stop with the thread derail and get back onto the topic at hand.

This guy was careless with his ammo and got caught. I verify each and every OTC drug I bring along and make sure my bags are empty. I'll avoid connecting through a Middle East country because of their laws. I don't want to get caught with a poppy seed on the sole of my shoes.
Woah!!!!!!! Now he was "careless" after you accused him of tryi g to force his American "privilege"? Don't trip backing up.

Troll proven.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
TexasAggiesWin
S
Is OP celebrating that an American citizen is locked up in a foreign country? WTF
one safe place
I'd pick up the phone and give them 24 hours to have him back in the U.S. or would ban all travel to this place and call on all our allies to do the same.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Is OP celebrating that an American citizen is locked up in a foreign country? WTF

He tried to use it to dunk on conservatives.

Pretty gross.
Houston Lee
AG
On a business trip to India, one of the guys I was traveling with had a 9mm bullet in his travel carry on found by airport security in Mumbai. He had used the bag prior to the trip to carry his gun and ammo to the pistol range in Houston and missed it when he was packing. The usual part was this was on the way home and we had already gone through security for 4 previous flights and it wasn't discovered. They let him go with a warning.
fredfredunderscorefred
one safe place said:

I'd pick up the phone and give them 24 hours to have him back in the U.S. or would ban all travel to this place and call on all our allies to do the same.
I would not be surprised an iota if this admin decided to charge him for bringing it through security on the way to T&C; this admin and DOJ is that disgusting.
FIDO*98*
AG
I posted this on a recent thread asking about Turks on the OB. T&C was the most disappointing vacation I have ever been on. The island is trash outside of a few nicer beaches and the people there were lazy and not particularly friendly (stayed at the Ritz Carlton in '22).

I would never go back to that dump and this thread confirms I never will.
Ag CPA
AG
Mas89 said:

Just one more reason not to go to third world countries, including Mexico. And obviously T& C.

And if you do, find their biggest local supermarket and walk around long enough to see the big rats and unsanitary meat department. Flies, bugs, etc.

A guy that obviously has never been to TCI.
one safe place
fredfredunderscorefred said:

one safe place said:

I would not be surprised an iota if this admin decided to charge him for bringing it through security on the way to T&C; this admin and DOJ is that disgusting.
You are probably right. Best move he could make is to come out as LBTGQ+, identifies as black, anti-MAGA, America hating, anti-capitalist, democrat.
jopatura
AG
T&C intentionally changed their gun laws in 2022 to be stricter than a fine with a mandatory 12 year jail sentence. I guarantee you the government was looking forward to incoming shakedowns.
Mas89
AG
I have not, and do not intend to. Kid got real sick at Grand Cayman one year. Plenty of nice beaches in US so I'll pass on the foreign islands. Just seeing how Grand Cayman and many other islands treated COVID was enough for me. Why chance it? I've spent plenty of time in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean/ Atlantic Islands but have had enough of them. No mas.
techno-ag
AG
Mas89 said:

I have not, and do not intend to. Kid got real sick at Grand Cayman one year. Plenty of nice beaches in US so I'll pass on the foreign islands. Just seeing how Grand Cayman and many other islands treated COVID was enough for me. Why chance it? I've spent plenty of time in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean/ Atlantic Islands but have had enough of them. No mas.

No Mas89.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Bubblez
A recent case from September of last year, with a that 12 year mandatory minimum sentence ended up being 8 months in prison. It was similar circumstances to this one, where the defended had ammo discovered in his bag upon leaving the country, 12 9mm rounds. The judge declared exceptional circumstances of the case warranted a lighter punishment.

A few other cases the tourist escaped with a fine, but in those circumstances the ammo / weapons were declared.

Though, just last month a couple of judges were taken to task for not sending offenders to prison.

https://magneticmediatv.com/2024/03/should-have-gone-stright-to-prison-three-high-court-judges-give-wrong-verdict-says-court-of-appeal/

There still is leeway for something other than 12 years in prison, but he may end up having to spend 12 months.

They are very well aware their economy is dependent upon tourism, but that is their reasoning for strict gun laws. A high crime rate will greatly damage their tourism business.
Quote:

It must be remembered that the economies of these islands depend on tourism and international business. The use of firearms will' create a danger to the economy.

TRADUCTOR
Bullet in your glovebox crossing border will get you jail time. eff Mexico and eff Turks Caca.

If Elon would slap a warhead on his rockets would add another revenue stream, fire hose style.
cevans_40
AG
Imagine thinking this is a good OP
aggieforester05
AG
Bubblez said:

A recent case from September of last year, with a that 12 year mandatory minimum sentence ended up being 8 months in prison. It was similar circumstances to this one, where the defended had ammo discovered in his bag upon leaving the country, 12 9mm rounds. The judge declared exceptional circumstances of the case warranted a lighter punishment.

A few other cases the tourist escaped with a fine, but in those circumstances the ammo / weapons were declared.

Though, just last month a couple of judges were taken to task for not sending offenders to prison.

https://magneticmediatv.com/2024/03/should-have-gone-stright-to-prison-three-high-court-judges-give-wrong-verdict-says-court-of-appeal/

There still is leeway for something other than 12 years in prison, but he may end up having to spend 12 months.

They are very well aware their economy is dependent upon tourism, but that is their reasoning for strict gun laws. A high crime rate will greatly damage their tourism business.
Quote:

It must be remembered that the economies of these islands depend on tourism and international business. The use of firearms will' create a danger to the economy.

Strict gun laws only make their tourists and resident more likely to be victims of crime. The idea that strict gun laws will reduce crime is abundantly idiotic to say the least.
agwrestler
AG
Al Bula said:

Plot twist: guy did this intentionally to get away from the ole battle axe at home.

Wanna get away?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I moved to Korea with my family in 2014 for work.

Our stuff was packed by a 3rd Party Company under the supervision of my wife while I was in Korea working.

We received everything about a month after we moved into the Condo in Korea and unpacked. Lived there for 7-8 months before being transferred to Australia.

As we're packing everything back up to move to Australia, I notice a box of mine that has gun paraphernalia... open it up and sure enough my pistol holster and 2 boxes of 9mm ammo.

Sheeeet. We're leaving the next day. Do I go out in the woods and bury it?

I decided to pack it. It would give me a month of ocean freight to decide what to do with it.

We get to Australia; move into our new condo. After 3-4 days sweating what to do, I notify the agent:

Agent says, "where are you from?"

Me: "Texas".

"Ah, Americans yes. Don't worry this happens way more often than you'd think..."

The agent let the Australian federal police know about the mistake. I fill out a form saying I dont want to claim it (otherwise it's 10 years prison and $400k AUD fine). No brainer.

Police opened the box at import and removed the contraband. No issues.

All that to say, I feel bad for the guy and I can empathize .
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
IndividualFreedom
So not a firearm but rather 4 rounds of ammo?! This screams shake down for American dollars. Smart move for T&C as they are dealing with those that like to launder money.

T&C: Joe we need $5B gifted to us

Joe: Sure thing. Just make sure XYZ account gets half put into it. Now excuse me, it is time for some cream and a lid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.