Anyone have supersonic silent subs on their 2024 bingo card?

3,948 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Ag_of_08
TexAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
China is apparently making advances in laser propulsion for their subs. This is something that has been an idea for over 20 years, but nobody could figure out how to control the detonation wave created by using lasers to turn water into plasma.

Quote:

Thrust of a commercial jet engine

A research team led by Ge Yang, a professor at the School of Engineering at Harbin University, has now found a way to improve the efficiency of laser propellers using a coating of optical fibers also referred to as underwater fiber laser-induced plasma detonation wave propulsion.

Using this approach, the researchers claim to be able to generate 70,000 newtons of thrust using just two megawatts of laser power. The thrust generated is similar to that of a commercial jet engine.

In addition to generating thrust, the laser also vaporizes the seawater close to the vessel, creating bubbles on the submarine's surface and reducing water resistance. This phenomenon, known as supercavitation, could potentially allow submarines to travel at supersonic speeds underwater.

link

With everything else going on... why not?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Psycho Bunny
One step away from having sharks with lasers.

Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
Gilligan
AG
What could possibly go wrong?
CheeseSndwch
One ping only.
rwtxag83
AG
Sounds like it's loud, aka easily detected and located.

I know back in the 80s the Soviet subs were very fast but you could hear them from a very long distance.
Greater love hath no man than this....
LOYAL AG
AG
I'm going to bet on history that China isn't innovating anything. They don't create, they steal.

That aside according to the interwebs nuclear subs designed for speed go about 40mph yet somehow we're to believe this system will result in supersonic speed which is like 18 times what we see today. I'm gonna call BS on this.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Sid Farkas
AG
And acres of fried fish in its wake.
Catag94
AG
Gilligan said:

What could possibly go wrong?

No kidding. The idea of subs traveling subsonic is just seems stupid.
CactusThomas
AG
Supercavitation?

That seems like it would be really quiet and great for the hull long term.
MouthBQ98
AG
Extremely loud, and you cannot get around the basic physics of displacement. You must move the volume of water occupied by the submarine out of its path at the flow rate in accordance with the speed with which it intends to move.
aTmAg
AG
Supersonic and silent do not go together.
Get Off My Lawn
Supercavitating torpedoes are a thing. Makes sense you could scale it up. …but cavitation is incredibly hard on the skin of a vehicle, so I'm guessing physics will put a very low ceiling on the "flight-hours" that a sub could use similar tech.
e=mc2
AG
Here on land, we watch out for deer and dogs. Try dodging a whale.
Gigem314
AG

Rapier108
Get Off My Lawn said:

Supercavitating torpedoes are a thing. Makes sense you could scale it up. …but cavitation is incredibly hard on the skin of a vehicle, so I'm guessing physics will put a very low ceiling on the "flight-hours" that a sub could use similar tech.
And those torpedoes are no where near supersonic.

IIRC, they can travel around 200-250mph and their range is about 6-10 miles.

I'd say the author of the article just added the supersonic part in to make it sound scary and to get more clicks.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
agracer
AG
rwtxag83 said:

I know back in the 80s the Soviet subs were very fast but you could hear them from a very long distance.
Not after Toshiba sold the Russians high end milling machines for their propellers.
ABATTBQ11
AG
100% bull**** like most other claims by the Chinese.
zag213004
AG
Please please please china make all of your subs supersonic.
Madman
AG
This is just like the time the Japanese beat us in the race to Heaven

Saltwater Assassin
AG
Anyone else read "supersonic silent subs" as some sort of new fancy bullet that would achieve supersonic energy while suppressing like a sub blackout?

Cuz I did and I went from 6 to midnight (science be damned... )
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
Madman
AG
The concept of a controlled vaporization of water around the surface of the sub sure sounds neat.

How will they predict the salinity and temp of the water they are about to move through? Cuz thats going to cause some issues if you can't.
BBRex
AG
agracer said:

rwtxag83 said:

Not after Toshiba sold the Russians high end milling machines for their propellers.
I still haven't forgiven them for that.
AgGrad99
AG
What happens when they hit a shark going 700mph? Seems problematic.
Ciboag96
I would have liked to have seen Montana
MGS
LOYAL AG said:

I'm going to bet on history that China isn't innovating anything. They don't create, they steal.

That aside according to the interwebs nuclear subs designed for speed go about 40mph yet somehow we're to believe this system will result in supersonic speed which is like 18 times what we see today. I'm gonna call BS on this.

Isn't the speed of sound in water like four times faster than in air?
LOYAL AG
AG
MGS said:

LOYAL AG said:

Isn't the speed of sound in water like four times faster than in air?

It might be which means this article is saying this teach will move a sub 4x faster than current technology. Still screams BS to me.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Considering they steal everything from us I'm going to assume we already have this and just haven't told anyone.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
AgGrad99 said:

What happens when they hit a shark going 700mph? Seems problematic.

I was thinking whale but I'm right there with you.
I've seen what a deer does to a car on a two lane, let's see what happens here.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
sleepybeagle
AG
Isn't the whole point of being underwater is to not be detected?
If you want to go fast - just fly above the water i.e. a jet.
sleepybeagle
annie88
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

One ping only.
First thing that came to my mind, too.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
CactusThomas said:

Supercavitation?

That seems like it would be really quiet and great for the hull long term.

Predmid
AG
Here I thought subs served two purposes... undetectable killers to torpedo down enemy fleets before they get in range of our fleet or giant silent missile launch platforms to unleash a barrage of powerful missiles before the enemy can react.

What mission function does a loud fast underwater vessel serve?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Sid Farkas said:

And acres of fried fish in its wake.
but think of the fish sticks.

GeorgiAg
AG
A supersonic sub! That's Impossibru!

GeorgiAg
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

One ping only.
wouldn't it be a chang in this instance?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.