Anyone have supersonic silent subs on their 2024 bingo card?

3,952 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Ag_of_08
Dufflepud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Me tink sum ting wong.
GeorgiAg
AG
Dufflepud said:

Me tink sum ting wong.
I got the reference.

DTP02
AG
Predmid said:

Here I thought subs served two purposes... undetectable killers to torpedo down enemy fleets before they get in range of our fleet or giant silent missile launch platforms to unleash a barrage of powerful missiles before the enemy can react.

What mission function does a loud fast underwater vessel serve?

Seems like the only practical application would be short duration defensive maneuvering.
TXAG 05
AG
I would think a sonic boom underwater would be problematic.
Texker
AG
The kid is on a sub as we speak.Silent Service.
AgResearch
AG
Does it say Ocean Gate Titan on it?
Texker
AG
AgResearch said:

Does it say Ocean Gate Titan on it?
No. No it doesn't cuz it's the US Navy The sacrifice is real.
TexasRebel
AG
The speed of sound through water is over 4x faster than through air.

Friction would melt the vessel.
Ag_of_08
AG
TexAgs91 said:

China is apparently making advances in laser propulsion for their subs. This is something that has been an idea for over 20 years, but nobody could figure out how to control the detonation wave created by using lasers to turn water into plasma.

Quote:

Thrust of a commercial jet engine

A research team led by Ge Yang, a professor at the School of Engineering at Harbin University, has now found a way to improve the efficiency of laser propellers using a coating of optical fibers also referred to as underwater fiber laser-induced plasma detonation wave propulsion.

Using this approach, the researchers claim to be able to generate 70,000 newtons of thrust using just two megawatts of laser power. The thrust generated is similar to that of a commercial jet engine.

In addition to generating thrust, the laser also vaporizes the seawater close to the vessel, creating bubbles on the submarine's surface and reducing water resistance. This phenomenon, known as supercavitation, could potentially allow submarines to travel at supersonic speeds underwater.

link

With everything else going on... why not?

I highly recommend spending some time watching a channel called sub brief, he's a former navy chief and sonar operator. He explains the principles behind sonar and what makes a sub silent very well, and will explain why this is basically bragging they have really loud targets now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.