Job Network
Sponsored by

Stood up by a recruiter

9,228 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by bmks270
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last week, on 15 Feb, I got an email from a very famous retail company with a large tech office in the Bay Area. I had applied to that role and several others and one of them seemed to have struck. The email was from a recruiter asking me to schedule some time with her for 15 minutes to discuss the role. So I did and the earliest available time was a week later - 22 Feb.
When the time came, I waited and no call at all. 5 mins passed, 10, 15 mins passed. Nothing. So I called the number on the meeting invite and it goes to answering machine. Nothing for the rest of the day or even this morning. I emailed her after our time was over to reschedule and I did a manual reschedule for 4 Mar, the earliest time available.

This generally does not happen to me but it did with the SAME company, same office 15 years ago! I had just finished my MBA and was looking for a new job and my friend had referred me. I had to sneak out of my cubicle and find an abandoned meeting room in a different floor to take the call. Nothing. Then I emailed her and she wrote back saying she was very busy and sorry. OK, no problem., we set up another time and she does not call me this time also! When I emailed her, there was no reply.

I seem to have bad luck with this company which is also known as the Behemoth of Bentonville!

Any such experiences? I think it may be an accepted practice here as it happened twice, 15 years apart. People in Quora are also complaining about it.

On a personal level, I am still in the market looking for a job after my Dec layoff. Response has been great after Jan 20. Interviews every day, some rejections. I am currently in play with 7 companies. A few are good advancement of career. This one was low on my list, rank 5 out of 7 mainly because I would prefer not to move as I have a kid in HS and the job is not remote.
fightingfarmer09
I have dealt with this multiple times in the last month. The Tech companies I have been communicating with are the worst offenders.

Laid off in December, some of these companies have come back around and stretched the interview process out for 2 months.
Cruiser87
AG
Well, if either of you, or anybody, has architect-level experience in IT security, specifically identity and access management, as well as privileged access management, drop me an email in my profile. Or leave something here and I'll get back to you.

No guarantees, but since I'm the hiring manager...
fightingfarmer09
Nope. But I can help give you agriculture recommendations and make a good cup of coffee.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Yeah, HR recruiters are notorious for having bad manners and being disrespectful like this.

I had one do this to me, and I called her out on it. Told the VP of the company that referred me also. I got my rescheduled date asap and she was on time and not late. Now granted, it didn't translate to a role as they were interviewing me for a role that didn't exist yet. But getting stood up by an entry level HR dunce that is 25 years younger than me is insulting.

So I guess I showed her! Lol.
infinity ag
I can understand that sheet happens and one might not be able to make it. One can get delayed because of a previous meeting also. Like yesterday, I was scheduled to talk to a company recruiter at 9:30am. He himself had said he was available and we agreed on it. 9:36, no call. I thought here we go again.... but then he called and apologized profusely that a previous meeting with some high level people went over. Happens. No problem. We had a very good call and this company is now No 1 on my wish-list displacing a previous one.

It is 2 days since my Thursday scheduled call and no email and no call yet to apologize of reschedule. I am amazed that the exact same thing with same company/location happened to me 15 years ago in 2009 so it must be company culture to do so. Oh well. I will mark the job as "Dormant" until I hear from her.

I feel such clowns need to be named and shamed.
infinity ag
The Chicken Ranch said:

Yeah, HR recruiters are notorious for having bad manners and being disrespectful like this.

I had one do this to me, and I called her out on it. Told the VP of the company that referred me also. I got my rescheduled date asap and she on time and not late. Now granted, it didn't translate to a role as they were interviewing me for a role that didn't exist yet. But getting sold up by an entry level HR dunce that is 25 years younger than me is insulting.

So I guess I showed her! Lol.

These HR recruiters treat candidates poorly when the market is bad. Then they themselves get laid off and come on Linkedin to complain about how difficult their lives are. Treat people well when you can, maybe some of that good karma will rub off on you.
20ag07
I work with a lot of recruiters. Both to hire, and get hired.

They have no idea what scheduling is like. Sometimes we gotta interview in 2 days because somebody else is lined up. Sometimes, it's gonna take 3 weeks to line it up.

The recruiters, be they internal or external, don't always know.

Have some patience.

I'm always wary if an interview needs to be scheduled within the week. And I'm always willing to wait a week to schedule the right candidate.

Typically, if a role is open, a hiring manager is doing double duty. So getting stuff done, and dealing with their recruiter, is going to take days, if not weeks.

Have some chill, bro.
infinity ag
20ag07 said:

They have no idea what scheduling is like. Sometimes we gotta interview in 2 days because somebody else is lined up. Sometimes, it's gonna take 3 weeks to line it up.

Have some patience.

I'm always wary if an interview needs to be scheduled within the week. And I'm always willing to wait a week to schedule the right candidate.

Typically, if a role is open, a hiring manager is doing double duty. So getting stuff done, and dealing with their recruiter, is going to take days, if not weeks.

Have some chill, bro.

We are all busy and have stuff to do. Everyone understands that sheet happens. At least have the courtesy to call/text/email right away and make alternate plans. Don't ghost and not bother to reply. I have called twice and sent 2 emails already and its been 4 calendar days.

The only thing that makes this behavior understandable is if she suffered some serious personal tragedy which makes all of this insignificant. Else it is just unprofessional.
John Armfield
Recruiters are the worse they do this all the time then have the nerve to ask me for contacts. smh
John Armfield
20ag07 said:

Have some patience.

Have some chill, bro.
sounds like excuses be professional bro
infinity ag
I have a story about how recruiters/companies get vindictive about these things.

Some years ago, I applied to a position at a company in Dec 2020 and got a call from them. On the day of the interview, we got a call that my father in law had been diagnosed with cancer and my wife had to go to be with him and help out. So I felt with such news, I did not want to go in for a job change. So a few hours before the interview, I called and emailed to let the recruiter know that I could not make it for those reasons.

A few months later, in Apr 2021, an external recruiter called me for a job at the same company. I was ready. Then a few days later, she tells me that she talked to the company and they looked at my resume and said that I was a "no show" at the interview. It had been about 5 months since the first interview that I asked to cancel. I was surprised, this company ain't no Google or Amazon, it was a company that not many had heard of. I sent the recruiter a screenshot of my email to the company from December requesting to withdraw from the process. My father in law who was unwell had passed away in March. The external rec said she was sorry to hear the news and will talk to the company.

After that, nothing. No rejection, no interview. I had probably been blacklisted. This is how recruiters get vindictive.

Well, F them.
infinity ag
OK, the recruiter from the Behemoth finally emailed me back. No apology, nothing. Just thanking me for "checking". WTF? She says her cal is completely booked but will try to get before next Monday so to text her at her number.

Man.
20ag07
Quote:

After that, nothing. No rejection, no interview. I had probably been blacklisted. This is how recruiters get vindictive.
Have you ever, in your life, hired somebody?

As a hiring manager, you have time what you have time for. As a recruiter, you deal with what your hiring manager will give you.

Acting like you are a victim, or that somebody is being vindictive, ain't it.

People have the time in the day to deal with what they can deal with. Expecting your personal situation to tip the scales ain't it.
infinity ag
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Have you ever, in your life, hired somebody?

As a hiring manager, you have time what you have time for. As a recruiter, you deal with what your hiring manager will give you.

Acting like you are a victim, or that somebody is being vindictive, ain't it.

People have the time in the day to deal with what they can deal with. Expecting your personal situation to tip the scales ain't it.

Not sure what you are trying to get at. Where did I say I am a victim? It was ultimately their loss. They lost out on a good experienced candidate because of their ego.

It's folks like you who justify unprofessional behavior who are the real problem. Maybe that is why the recruiting process is totally broken.
Mike Elko
AG
20ag07 said:

Have some patience.

Have some chill, bro.

LOL at this take.
bmks270
AG
The bigger the company the worse the hiring process. That's my experience.

I've been ghosted by recruiter once for a job I didn't even apply to, they reached out to me. I agreed to chat, then they no show at the scheduled time and ghost me. Never respond to my follow up, and I never hear from them again.
Hoyt Ag
AG
bmks270 said:

The bigger the company the worse the hiring process. That's my experience.

I've been ghosted by recruiter once for a job I didn't even apply to, they reached out to me. I agreed to chat, then they ghost me and never respond, and I never hear from them again.
100000%.
infinity ag
Yes this is true.
And as someone here said, they themselves contact the candidate first. And ghost them. So Ford, the iconic car company called me for a Director level job. Ford is not the most ideal place for people in my line of work but I was somewhat feeling desperate so I said let's talk. So a recruiter lady calls me, she is 7 minutes late but apologizes a lot so I said no problem. She was very nice during the conversation. A good interview. Then she says my profile looks good, she has to run it by the hiring manager. Okay. That was on Jan 25. I did not hear anything for a week so I emailed. Nothing. Then I emailed again and she replied on 2/1 to ask me to be patient. It is now 3/2 and NOTHING. I don't care as it wasn't high on my life. But professionalism calls for a rejection email (canned ones will do) or some sort of status of interest level.
Petrino1
infinity ag said:

Yes this is true.
And as someone here said, they themselves contact the candidate first. And ghost them. So Ford, the iconic car company called me for a Director level job. Ford is not the most ideal place for people in my line of work but I was somewhat feeling desperate so I said let's talk. So a recruiter lady calls me, she is 7 minutes late but apologizes a lot so I said no problem. She was very nice during the conversation. A good interview. Then she says my profile looks good, she has to run it by the hiring manager. Okay. That was on Jan 25. I did not hear anything for a week so I emailed. Nothing. Then I emailed again and she replied on 2/1 to ask me to be patient. It is now 3/2 and NOTHING. I don't care as it wasn't high on my life. But professionalism calls for a rejection email (canned ones will do) or some sort of status of interest level.
Infinity ag, if you're not already on the reddit sub r/recruitinghell, then you should definitely take a look. Its basically just constant posts about candidates getting ghosted by recruiters, and just constant recruiter trash talking lol.
bmks270
AG
infinity ag said:

Yes this is true.

In my case they didn't even show up for the scheduled call.
infinity ag
Petrino1 said:

infinity ag said:

Yes this is true.
Infinity ag, if you're not already on the reddit sub r/recruitinghell, then you should definitely take a look. Its basically just constant posts about candidates getting ghosted by recruiters, and just constant recruiter trash talking lol.

I don't post there but I have read many of those posts. This seems to be very widespread.
I saw a job from a Palo Alto, CA company and applied on Linkedin. Within 20 mins I got an email from the recruiter asking for an interview! So I picked a time and she called me from LA area through video. It went okay but I felt it wasn't a great fit for me (I applied looking at the title without really reading the description) but she said she will ask the hiring manager if they want to move forward. Okay. After that nothing. It's been 24 calendar days.
At least frikkin send me a bland rejection email. The company wasn't high on my list and I was not keen so I decided not to follow up. Let us see if they will ever close the loop or not. I just make the effort to follow up if I care about the company. Like the Bentonville one. Talking to them on Monday.

While there are bad recruiters, there are many good ones too. I applied to a job at Amazon. Just looked at title, not job. There were no available jobs with my skillset. Just wanted to see if I could get called. And I was! I got a call from Amazon. So I set up a time and she called me. After discussion, she said she felt the match was not very good but would leave it to the HM since he shortlisted me in the first place. Then she actually did it. I did not want to waste mine or their time so I asked them to cancel it and thanked them for their time. Example of a good recruiter. She was honest, upfront and followed up with what she said.
infinity ag
That's amazing. Bentonville Behemoth just stood me up again. The second time in 2 weeks. And I've been stood up by the same company and location 15 years apart! The last time I applied there was 2009 through a friend's referral and the recruiter did exactly the same thing.

This time I am not going to email or call to get another interview.

This is just part of life in 2024.

'Ghosting' gets more common in the job market: It's not a 'passing fad,' report says (msn.com)
ThunderFighter06
AG
Been ghosted by about half a dozen recruiters in the last few months. That article was telling but I think a lot of job seekers don't know the proper way to follow when communication stops. Frustrating. I also wonder what it's like from a recruiter's standpoint. Always try to see both sides. I don't think they do it on purpose. Any recruiters lurking out there who would be willing to elaborate?
ABATTBQ87
AG
I've been recruiting for 26 years, and I can tell you that if I schedule an interview with you, then I will call you, one minute early.

I've been a third party headhunter but prefer contract recruiting, and I always respect the candidates time.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffflowers
infinity ag
ThunderFighter06 said:

Been ghosted by about half a dozen recruiters in the last few months. That article was telling but I think a lot of job seekers don't know the proper way to follow when communication stops. Frustrating. I also wonder what it's like from a recruiter's standpoint. Always try to see both sides. I don't think they do it on purpose. Any recruiters lurking out there who would be willing to elaborate?

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. It's not been that bad for me, just about 3 recruiters. All large well known companies that everyone knows about.

They may not do it on purpose, but they do it because they have no empathy and don't give an F. I have seen recruiters getting laid off themselves and then crying about needing to pay rent on Linkedin. Then they get roasted by people in the comment section because recruiters are hated everywhere. Maybe if they showed some empathy, they would get some of that back.

The other thing they do is a recruiter calls and does the initial screen. Says "Your resume looks awesome, I will share it with the Hiring manager and let you know in a day". The day passes, nothing. 3 days pass, and you message back to ask what happened? Nothing. 2 days later, comes a bland reject saying they went with other candidates.

Currently, I am talking to a company and completed interviews with recruiter, Director and VP. They all liked me. I am now on the final presentation panel round. They asked me for a suitable time and I gave it. Now they say one interviewer is on PTO so it will be delayed. Are they playing games with me? I don't know. Maybe they are interviewing someone else right now. I should get the schedule by the end of the week, but I am half expecting them to cancel on me and say "we went with another candidate".
ThunderFighter06
AG
That is pretty infuriating. Hopefully they're not leading you on and they get back to soon if they haven't already. Best of luck to you! Interestingly enough, since my last post I've been called twice by the same recruiter and have an interview next week! Will let y'all know how it goes!
Rudyjax
AG
That makes no sense. The recruiter screwed up and forgot to tell them.

Absolutely no reason to burn a bridge.
infinity ag
When I emailed her earlier last week, she said hang tight, we will let you know by the end of the week. Then on Thu I got fed up and emailed her again asking for any updates. She replied on Friday (yesterday) to say no change yet, she will let me know next week.

I have no option but to wait. It's spring break season and maybe one of the panel guys is out? Possible. I was planning on spending the weekend practicing the presentation but I don't feel like it, I will do so if/when I get a date.
On the positive side, I am in the mix with 4 companies at different stages. Better than zero.

ThunderFighter, congratulations, good luck! Keep us updated.
20ag07
Quote:

When I emailed her earlier last week, she said hang tight, we will let you know by the end of the week. Then on Thu I got fed up and emailed her again asking for any updates. She replied on Friday (yesterday) to say change yet, she will let me know next week.
Here's your problem, man.

Way too aggressive.

The end of the week is not Thursday.

So asking for updates is not going to get you anywhere.

Timelines slide out in this space.

Aggressively following up doesn't show "interest". It shows desperation. Nobody likes that.

And that's not a recruiter problem. That's a job applicant problem.
infinity ag
20ag07 said:

Quote:

When I emailed her earlier last week, she said hang tight, we will let you know by the end of the week. Then on Thu I got fed up and emailed her again asking for any updates. She replied on Friday (yesterday) to say change yet, she will let me know next week.
Here's your problem, man.

Way too aggressive.

The end of the week is not Thursday.

So asking for updates is not going to get you anywhere.

Timelines slide out in this space.

Aggressively following up doesn't show "interest". It shows desperation. Nobody likes that.

And that's not a recruiter problem. That's a job applicant problem.

You may be right. Point taken. Thanks for your reply.

But one can look at this in both ways. 3-4 days is reasonable time to wait for the next interview to be scheduled after they ask for availability. I have seen situations where I have not followed up on next steps and I have heard nothing from them after that, and it's already been 6+ weeks. I know the job went to someone else or got canceled (I don't know since they did not close the loop).

In my experience, if stretches beyond 3-4 days, then something has changed at their end and they are stringing a candidate along. One of the possibilities is that they have offered someone and are waiting for this person to accept. If they don't, then they will talk to me or whoever is No 2 on their list. Who knows.

Let's see how the chips fall. Thanks for your view though, I will keep it in mind.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Why do you want to work at Wal-Mart so badly?
zooguy96
Infinity, sorry for your predicament. I hope you eventually find something that suits you and where you can be happy.

Finding a position that fits (work environment, supervisor) is far more important to me than pay, etc. When I was first teaching, the administration was far more helpful; erego, I wasn't looking. I left for my wife's company, who recruited me for a position.

When I can back, the administration was new, and far less helpful (it takes 15 "demerits" for an office referral, which led to nothing, and the student back in class with no real consequences).

I'm finally leaving teaching. Got a job as an Asst Manager. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but far better than teaching middle school brats. I got it through networking.

I had a 2nd interview last week for a position I'm very interested in, a first interview with another job I'm very interested in, and have a first interview with a 3rd job I'm very interested in. All these other 3 jobs fit my career experience far better, and would represent a nice pay raise. Either way, at least I've left teaching for good.

Again, hope something works out sooner rather than later.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Cromagnum
AG
I just had a meeting with a recruiter who then passed my resume to their VP. The VP wanted to meet on a call the next day, but then ghosted me.
infinity ag
AggieArchitect04 said:

Why do you want to work at Wal-Mart so badly?

It's not the low-paying greeter/checker type job, it is the tech division of Walmart Ecommerce. It is in the Bay Area. They have some good positions available and are hiring a lot and I am a match as I have relevant experience. I am open to working for other companies too, but Walmart Ecommerce is among them. I won't be surprised if they blacklist me on their systems claiming that I was a "no show".
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.