Job Network
Sponsored by

Stood up by a recruiter

9,259 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by bmks270
GrandStand93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I normally hire engineers, scientists, and technicians. I'll be lucky to get a handful of candidates, especially qualified ones, in our local market.

Just posted for an admin position and got 300 candidates in three days and had to cut it off. I can't even imagine how many good people we'll miss out on because of the sheer volume.

It's been pretty easy to scoff at a lot of situations that you read here, but this is a healthy dose of perspective that does make me realize that not all situations are equal.

That probably doesn't make it feel better if you're on the receiving end of a crappy situation, but maybe just a little bit of insight.
htxag09
AG
Not to pile on but I agree with the above on toning it down. They don't need a candidate pushing to be hired...if they want to hire them they will.

But, I'll add, if you continue saying you're the perfect candidate and get through this and that process but then they go another direction or repost, maybe it's time for some self reflection. Not saying this in a negative way about the posters on here at all, but maybe it's just you aren't getting messages you think you are across. Do assessments of your calls, interviews, etc. Be honest and after some time to reflect and think, would you have answered differently?

If you had multiple, long interviews and the job is reposted....there is likely a reason other than incompetence on the hiring company. Interviewing costs them money. They want someone hired quickly as well. But, if it is just incompetence, be happy you aren't working there.
BadMoonRisin
AG
This wasn't sent to me, but was posted elsewhere on line....thought it would go great on this thread.

Some of these companies are ridiculous..
BadMoonRisin
AG
I'll add to that, "reposting" happens at automatic intervals on LinkedIn sometimes.

I wouldn't take that as a signal that you interviewed and are screwed because it's now reposted. I've heard of people getting offers that thought they were dead in the water this way.
Hittag1492
AG
20ag07 said:

I work with a lot of recruiters. Both to hire, and get hired.

They have no idea what scheduling is like. Sometimes we gotta interview in 2 days because somebody else is lined up. Sometimes, it's gonna take 3 weeks to line it up.

The recruiters, be they internal or external, don't always know.

Have some patience.

I'm always wary if an interview needs to be scheduled within the week. And I'm always willing to wait a week to schedule the right candidate.

Typically, if a role is open, a hiring manager is doing double duty. So getting stuff done, and dealing with their recruiter, is going to take days, if not weeks.

Have some chill, bro.
So busy they cannot call or shoot an email out of common courtesy? No, that is ridiculous and beyond unprofessional-and even lazy. These type of people should not be recruiters and clearly simply cannot handle their job. May be a better fit elsewhere. Probably should take some of their own qualification test to assess their job skills as recruiting may not be a great fit for them, lol.
Hittag1492
AG
infinity ag said:

I disagree.

Maybe in your field, the hiring cycles are long. In mine, things move quickly. If a company is interested, then they get back to you in about 3-4 days max. Anything beyond that, there may be an issue. Either they are too lazy to send a reject email or there is a genuine delay in figuring out next steps.

If I spend my time talking to the company in a professional manner, I expect the same behavior back. I expect them to at a minimum tell me if there is a delay after a reasonable amount of time (max 1 week). If they don't, then I move them aside into my "good bye" list. If it is a company I like and somewhat interested in, I like to give them a few more chances to give me the status on my candidature, so I message the recruiter a few times with a few days in between. A couple of companies have not gotten back to me after the first interview, I just did not bother because I was not interested in them either.

There is no "harassment" going on. Some of you watch too many crime shows. All my messages are 100% polite and respectful.

As of today, I am talking to 9 companies at the same time. A couple, I am not interested in. So things are moving. Offers not coming in yet are not because I sent a message too many. It is just that the market is unbalanced right now with too many candidates and higher competition. There are so many factors like location, salary expectations, experience fit etc etc.
If this bothers you as much as it appears then you need to be clear and precise when you ask about follow up call/emails. Ask the recruiter what THEIR time frame is for you to follow up. Don't make up your own. They will tell you a reasonable timeframe they are comfortable with. Once you do that then they cannot and will not be upset with you following the timeframe THEY gave you. That is the professional way to keep both parties on the same page and in sync-without wasted time/emails and discomfort for either party.

Keep in mind, you may not like their time frame. It may be longer than you prefer-that is the way it goes and you need to follow it. It is quite likely that they need it that way and it will also give you an indication up front how far out they are looking to actually place someone so there is no miscommunication and anxiety on your end, and no feeling of harassment on theirs.
Hittag1492
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

This wasn't sent to me, but was posted elsewhere on line....thought it would go great on this thread.

Some of these companies are ridiculous..
Hilarious. The self-importance of some companies is comical!
infinity ag
I had an unfortunate experience today.

Company A found me on Linked and contacted me asking if I was interested in this job that was somewhat strategic in nature for clients of this consulting company. I said yes. Spoke to recruiter. She made me speak to a VP of Delivery. That went really well, he gave me a superb review that the recruiter lady read out to me. Then she made me talk to another guy in a different country. He gave me a thumbs up too. Then the HR lady wrote to me for a call. I said am I still considered, she said absolutely yes. They wanted to do further interviews. Next would be with the COO who was a new hire. Okay, so maybe Friday or Monday. Thursday she emails me that they have to hold off as they are all planning to meet to decide what direction the role would take. So Friday interview would not happen.
Uh-oh. Red flag. If they still were wavering, then it wouldn't end well.
So she emailed me today to say they decided they needed someone "with more current consulting experience".

I had expected it but I was annoyed since they made me do 3 interviews and 2 calls, only to say "it's not you, it's us. We don't know what we are looking for.".

Companies, please stop wasting people's time.
bmks270
AG
Got a rejection email today from a job I applied to literally two years.

Why do these companies have such slow processes? They're useless.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.