Job Network
Sponsored by

Unlimited PTO?

5,100 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by knoxtom
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ogre09 said:

Unlimited PTO means no guaranteed PTO. Undefined bounds leads to unequal and uncommunicated expectations, which leads to disappointment, resentment, and mistrust.

Defined PTO is guaranteed and clearly communicated.
Well said.
AggieOO
I officially have set PTO as far as HR is concerned, but my organization does not track any PTO. I've never entered anything in the system, and wouldn't know how if I had to. I don't even have to request time off. I just shoot my boss a calendar invite.

There are years where I probably take a little less to than I officially have, but there are other years I definitely go over.
Cromagnum
AG
Ogre09 said:

Unlimited PTO means no guaranteed PTO. Undefined bounds leads to unequal and uncommunicated expectations, which leads to disappointment, resentment, and mistrust.

Defined PTO is guaranteed and clearly communicated.

Yep. I would rather have fixed PTO that nobody can say a damn thing about.
infinity ag
I just imagine a scenario when a person joins a company with Unlimited PTO. Then they begin taking PTO right away and hardly ever show up in the office. Then the company fires the guy. Who then sues the company for promising unlimited PTO and then wrongfully terminates him for taking it.

The legal language may however say something like "with management permission" though!
AJ02
AG
Yeah, ours is pretty clear that it still requires manager approval to ensure adequate coverage and that all business needs are being met. You can't just demand to take off every Friday for the entire year or for two straight months in the summer. Doesn't work that way.
bthotugigem05
AG
We have it and don't even track when it's used. Clear it with your manager and you're good to go.

Like many said, whether it's tracked or not it boils down to the team you're on and the manager you have.
90ags
It's a false perk as cannot take unlimited PTO in any professional job and expect to remain employed and on the payroll (esp if you are paid well). Being a finance guy, this is an acctg. play to remove liability off the books (funding requirements as a liability, but never have to pay out for salary employees).

Should never be a factor in accepting a role/opportunity other than clarifying if there are enough available times within a calendar year to get some time off (and trying to inquire with any current employees on vacation time perspectives).

Have worked at several top 100 corporations and PTO 'banking' is being slowly extinguished (exceptions are those states that have laws or a foreign based corp., but have seen a couple companies start removing operations from said states with said laws).
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
knoxtom
We don't track PTO.

I do require the employees to let me know when they won't be around and make sure we can get stuff done, but I don't care if they take time to do stuff with their kids, appointments, etc. I have never denied PTO to any employee in the history of the company but I have asked them to make sure some things get done.

If your employees act like grown ups then it isn't a big deal. Whenever they say they are taking a week off I literally just ask if everything is covered or what they need help with. If so... then see you in a week.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.