Outdoors
Sponsored by

What did you get for being in a wedding...?

7,372 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by taquache02
frankssnbeans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Morning ags,

I am getting married to a fellow aggie in about 6 weeks, and I am trolling all over the net trying to figure out a good gift for my guys. I have been in about 7 or 8 weddings over the years, and I have about 5 of the engraved beer mugs in my freezer as we speak. However, I really cant remember what I got from the other weddings...

I want to get my guys something that represents each one of them, and I am considering spending a decent amount of money.

What gifts have you received in weddings, and what did you like, and what can you remember thinking, "Great, another one of these...."

I have thought about the engraved beer mug, however, paired up with a year long beer of the month club membership. Maybe even hunting, fishing, or camping stuff that is geared towards each of my guys personalities....I dont know yet....but whatever it is I need to get it in gear.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
jh0400
AG
engraved flask, engraved zippo, engraved pocket knife.
AggFan06
King ranch game bags are great for shooting clays or hunting. I gave my guys all kershaw chives and retired lone star beer mugs from the chicken!
Texangler
All-Star rod, duffle bag, poker chip set, and a leatherman. All were personalized.
bigfoot10s
AG
I gave a nice personalized toiletry bag, which all of my groomsmen still use everytime we get togther. Wish I would have picked one up for myself...
AZAG08
AG
quote:
I'm one of 9 groomsmen for my friend's wedding tomorrow and at the rehearsal brunch today he gave all us groomsmen our gift. We all received a tactical pouch that housed a Gerber 06 Tanto automatic knife and a Surefire 6P LED Defender.

Don't know what your looking to spend, but if I was in your wedding I would vote on what that guy got.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-knives-other-weapons/95618-best-groomsmen-gifts.html
gwellis
AG
Custom folding pocket knives.
dahouse
AG
I gave engraved, leather-wrapped flasks and added an engraved Buck Alpha Hunter for my best man.
metrag06
AG
I gave my groomsmen personalized flasks, none of us ever use them anymore.

I've gotten a pocketwatch and a knife for two other weddings I was in, and nothing in another one. The knife is the only thing that remotely gets used.

Best gift I've seen is personalized Louisville Slugger bats (provided of course you're big baseball fans, as these guys were).
thaed137
AG
I am also getting married to a fellow aggie in more like six months but I found a sight that does custom bar signs. You basically could have like a big vintage sign that says Ryan's pub and eatery or something. I thought it was pretty cool.
OlArmy_97
Best one to date is a KaBar Skinner...

Gigemags05
AG
I gave my groomsmen under armour duffle bags. They all still use them.

I got gift cards to my favorite restaurant one time and a Columbia rain jacket one time.

the meal was delicious and I still wear the jacket.
MouthBQ98
AG
All sounds like good stuff to me. You simply DON'T remember these things much, regardless of what you get. Just the way it is.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm in the same boat as the OP...don't know what to get. Another question...do you get ushers and groomsmen gifts? or just groomsmen?
diehard03
quote:
You simply DON'T remember these things much, regardless of what you get. Just the way it is.

The people standing in your wedding are standing because of you, so really, the gift is little consequence. Of course, you feel like you want to get something nice for this occasion...but really, I think it's a lot of wasted effort (and money in some cases). I think people end up trying to outdo other gifts so they can say they had the cool gift or cool wedding.

I've stood in 4 weddings and haven't really cared at all what gift I was given. Some I've used, and some I haven't...but I was standing up for them.

I would just go with the classics and be done with it: flasks, steins, cuff links, etc.

quote:
Another question...do you get ushers and groomsmen gifts? or just groomsmen?

The price of my gifts was low enough (engraved steins) that I gave one to my preacher, ushers, etc.

[This message has been edited by diehard03 (edited 1/21/2010 8:49a).]
TRIDENT
AG
I got a collectible Playboy magazine once, from the month I was born.
Twix
AG
If you're considering spending a decent amount of money, do the guys a favor and pay for their tuxes. That will go over better than most gifts.
Cancelled
AG
A life of misery, boredom and lack of sex.

j/k
aggie0959
i am also getting married in may. and i have 3 attendants from tamu and three from tarleton state. I wanted to give them something they will like and not cost an arm and a leg. so i decided so make them (aTm for the ags and sTu for the tarleton guys)

[This message has been edited by aggie0959 (edited 1/21/2010 10:29a).]

[This message has been edited by aggie0959 (edited 1/21/2010 10:33a).]
Cowtown Red
A hangover and in serious hot water with the old lady.
Gigemags05
AG
Oh yeah, I got a custom rifle sling this summer for being in one. That thing is sweet!
easttexasaggie04
AG
those are impressive coffee tables...do you sell those?
aggie0959
"yes" i make them but i don't have the license for aggie stuff. i started just playing around but then i made a bunch so that i could afford an engagement ring. but right now i am figuring the logistics of building stuff at a trailer house when you don't have a garage to work out off.

[This message has been edited by aggie0959 (edited 1/21/2010 10:44a).]
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I second Twix's suggestion. It's what I did for mine.
easttexasaggie04
AG
you oughta make you website and start selling that stuff (if you don't already have one).
opie03
Stuff I use(d):
1. Kenneth Cole carry-on bag (From a pilot)
2. Bottle of JD Gentleman Jack (most of the groomsmen already had flasks from each other's weddings)
3. Engraved cufflinks
4. Engraved mug (from a restaurant owner that let us fill them up for free at the bar.)

Stuff I didn't:
1. AMC paperweight
2. Small thin engraved knife (only good as a letter opener)
3. Cheap BBQ tools

Stuff I'd appreciate:
-Nice toiletry bag
-Tux paid for
-Personalized poker chips
-Engraved Cross (or better) pen
-That KBAR knife posted earlier in the thread

-------------------------------------------------------
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.
Agz96
AG
You can't go wrong with a good knife. I have flasks and engraved mugs that never see the light of day, and a couple of knives that are used regularly.
bushman
AG
Been in LOTS of weddings...

Engraved flask
Engraved money clip
booze
Engraved pitcher
Knives
Engraved beer mugs
Couple of hot brides maids
Neches21
quote:
Tux paid for

this would be the best gift I could think of.

billikenag
I have received personalized poker set, bottle of expensive Sake, bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold.

For my wedding, I donated $100 in the name of each of my groomsmen to the http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/. My groomsmen (to a man) said they were more appreciative of the donation than an6y material gift I could have bought with the money.
AgsMnn
AG
you can get customized Crown Royal bags, and fill them with a bottle.

That will def. get used.
Campfire Soul
oh really? from their website?
youandwhosearmy
custom bobblehead that looks like each groomsman
Professor
The guys in our wedding party got: $100 toward the purchase of the suit, shirt and tie I wanted them to wear from me(classic navy single breasted suit & light blue shirt), and an engraved mag flashlight from the husband.

They also got dress socks the day of the wedding because a couple of them showed up with white athletic socks and I had to send my aunt to get something appropriate.
texican08
AG
I would say but the wedding is here in a few months and a few of my groomsmen/ushers post on this board.

And to the guys in my wedding party reading this...sorry, don't have enough money to pay for everyone tuxes.

[This message has been edited by texican08 (edited 1/21/2010 3:26p).]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.