Can we revisit the CSISD Bond Discussion (signs are up, voting day approaches)

53,044 Views | 460 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Stupe
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Consol had a year long rat infestation that chewed up crap in the ceilings and caused leaks - which lead to mold that needs to be remediated. Students and staff have become sick. I don't see cshs dealing with this. The school needs a complete overhaul.

What if the legislature passes vouchers? If the bonds fail I can see people inquiring to change schools.
Muzzleblast
Never vote to raise your own taxes.
You've got plenty of politicians doing that for you then telling you they are fiscal conservatives.
Texas government schools do less with more than just about anyone else.
PS3D
TAMU1990 said:

Consol had a year long rat infestation that chewed up crap in the ceilings and caused leaks - which lead to mold that needs to be remediated. Students and staff have become sick. I don't see cshs dealing with this. The school needs a complete overhaul.

What if the legislature passes vouchers? If the bonds fail I can see people inquiring to change schools.

Year long? One of the librarians at Consol back when I went circa 2009 said she found rat droppings under her desk after a trip.

I guarantee that Consol has had a growing rodent problem for years.
Aggie
AG
tu ag said:

I am leaning:
Maybe on A and B +
No on C and D

• PROPOSITION A: General ($284,975,000)
    • Districtwide Safety & Security
    • Renovations to Rock Prairie Elementary
    • A&M Consolidated HS Additions and Renovations
    • Phase II College Station HS Additions and Renovations
    • Phase II Career and Technical Education Center
    • College View HS Cosmetology Lab
    • Middle School Playing Fields Renovations
    • Central Office Additions and Renovations
    • Transportation
    • Technology Infrastructure
    • Facilities Maintenance Improvements
    • Land Acquisition
  • PROPOSITION B: Technology Devices ($14,145,000)
  • PROPOSITION C: Football Stadiums ($38,475,000)
    • Tiger Stadium Field House Additions and Renovations
    • Tiger Stadium Renovations
    • Cougar Stadium Renovations
  • PROPOSITION D: Baseball/Softball Stadiums ($13,270,000)

• I'd urge all to vote yes on C and D

The facilities especially at Consol need major upgrades.
    The field house at Consol is not big enough to house the entire football program. Right now you have quite a few kids whose locker is across the street and they have to go back and forth.

The pressbox , concession stands and ticket booths are the same as when the stadium opened in 1989.
    doubledog
    Stupe said:

I agree.

Those kids don't need decent facilities for extra curricular activities.

Why even have sports? Let them go home, play XBox, and get fat.
    They have a decent facility now. We are not competing with other high schools to build sports taj mahals.
    Stupe
    S
    You don't have a clue about what you are talking about if you think that Consol has decent facilities.

Zero.

They need a lot of improvements if not a complete overhaul.

And I am saying that as a parent that has no kids at that school.
    doubledog
    Stupe said:

You don't have a clue about what you are talking about if you think that Consol has decent facilities.

Zero.

Your definition of "decent" is completely different from mine.
    Aggie
    AG
    doubledog said:

Stupe said:

Zero.

You obviously have never paid attention to other HS athletic facilities. Quite a few 3A and 4A schools have better facilities than Consol.
    And before you reply.. I get it , you don't care.
    Stupe
    S
    If you think mold, mildew, and a lack of showers and locker room space is decent, I would hate to see how you live.
    tu ag
    AG
    Not a chance.
    George Costanza
    "Consol had a year long rat infestation that chewed up crap in the ceilings and caused leaks - which lead to mold that needs to be remediated. Students and staff have become sick."

Obviously Consol needs renovations and updates, but apparently what you posted is not true:

https://wtaw.com/no-mice-and-no-mold-at-consolidated-high-school/
    Stupe
    S
    Your link proves what he said WAS true.

Quote:

CSISD's new communications director, Austin Dunson, says that mice that was first detected during the fall 2022 semester have not returned after preventative efforts were taken during the summer.
    Quote:

Dunson says a mold concern last year in Consol's history hallway was resolved after the area was disinfected
    George Costanza
    No … the post I was responding to said "Consol had a year long rat infestation that chewed up crap in the ceilings and caused leaks - which lead to mold that needs to be remediated. Students and staff have become sick."

Not sure why you feel the need to cherry pick parts of the WTAW story, but the part you left out says mice (not rats) "detected during the fall 2022 semester have not returned after preventative efforts were taken during the summer." It also says there "was no mold." Did you actually listen to the interview?

The post implied the "rats" caused the "mold" and that it still needed to be remediated. It also attributed staff and kids getting sick from "mold" with no evidence of the imaginary mold causing any illness.

We all complain about fake and biased news, but we are just as bad on social media with incessant half-truths to make what are otherwise valid points.

Stupe
    S
    Quote:

Not sure why you feel the need to cherry pick parts of the WTAW story
    They are both rodents.

And it says there was no mold "after it was disinfected".

Talk about cherry picking.

UmustBKidding
    I can guarantee that the vermin mold and leaks are present in full force. Just because you close the work order does not mean mice and rats are gone, classes still meeting in library and lecture hall since class rooms are still inhabitable due to mold and in art and foreign language hall it was pouring in while it rained on wed and Thursday.
    At least the disinformation officer is on top of his game.

George Costanza
    The original post said there IS mold and it's making people sick. .

Listen to the actual interview.

That being said … if there is mold that is making people sick and their communications director is lying about it, y'all need to stop complaining on Texags and call the principal and superintendent, email the school board and contact KBTX, the Eagle, Wayne Dolcefino, Texas Monthly, etc., etc. Looks like WTAW already decided there isn't a rat or mold problem.
    iisanaggie
    AG
    My kids are in Bryan so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, I strongly encourage citizens to research and understand how our state's school funding works (if you don't already know). It is almost impossible for districts to do large renovations and build new facilities without bonds. The state also takes a lot of money back from our local districts with recapture. These large bond projects will not go away until we fix the funding issue. /end rant
    doubledog
    Aggie said:

doubledog said:

Stupe said:

Zero.

You obviously have never paid attention to other HS athletic facilities. Quite a few 3A and 4A schools have better facilities than Consol.
    No I care however I am of the mindset that our students would be better off learning how to design a football rather than throw it.
    doubledog
    George Costanza said:

That being said … if there is mold that is making people sick and their communications director is lying about it, y'all need to stop complaining on Texags and call the principal and superintendent, email the school board and contact KBTX, the Eagle, Wayne Dolcefino, Texas Monthly, etc., etc. Looks like WTAW already decided there isn't a rat or mold problem.
    This, it is in the budget to fix these types of problems...
    If your house has mold or rats do you tear it down and build another? That is the issue.
    George Costanza
    What is the issue? As the poster above noted, with how the state legislature funds schools "maintenance and operations" for dealing with things like mice and mildew are funded differently than physical additions and improvements to schools.
    TAMU1990
    AG
    George Costanza said:

"Consol had a year long rat infestation that chewed up crap in the ceilings and caused leaks - which lead to mold that needs to be remediated. Students and staff have become sick."

Obviously Consol needs renovations and updates, but apparently what you posted is not true:

https://wtaw.com/no-mice-and-no-mold-at-consolidated-high-school/
    Don't believe everything in the news....
    TAMU1990
    AG
    UmustBKidding said:

I can guarantee that the vermin mold and leaks are present in full force. Just because you close the work order does not mean mice and rats are gone, classes still meeting in library and lecture hall since class rooms are still inhabitable due to mold and in art and foreign language hall it was pouring in while it rained on wed and Thursday.
    At least the disinformation officer is on top of his game.

Are they not using the cafeteria anymore?

The mold is still active now - even after cleaning and replacing stuff. Mold remediation must be done and that is expensive.
    TAMU1990
    AG
    doubledog said:

George Costanza said:

This, it is in the budget to fix these types of problems...
    If your house has mold or rats do you tear it down and build another? That is the issue.
    The only construction projects on the main facility are in Prop A.

C&D are athletic bonds. By law they must be separate because they aren't attached to the main building.

There's no teardown of anything in the school. Stuff is getting a facelift (replaced/updated/fixed) and addition of square footage. If you want to call that tearing down, go ahead. I call it renovation.
    woodiewood1
    Aggie said:

tu ag said:

I am leaning:
    Maybe on A and B +
    No on C and D

• PROPOSITION A: General ($284,975,000)
    • Districtwide Safety & Security
    • Renovations to Rock Prairie Elementary
    • A&M Consolidated HS Additions and Renovations
    • Phase II College Station HS Additions and Renovations
    • Phase II Career and Technical Education Center
    • College View HS Cosmetology Lab
    • Middle School Playing Fields Renovations
    • Central Office Additions and Renovations
    • Transportation
    • Technology Infrastructure
    • Facilities Maintenance Improvements
    • Land Acquisition
  • PROPOSITION B: Technology Devices ($14,145,000)
  • PROPOSITION C: Football Stadiums ($38,475,000)
    • Tiger Stadium Field House Additions and Renovations
    • Tiger Stadium Renovations
    • Cougar Stadium Renovations
  • PROPOSITION D: Baseball/Softball Stadiums ($13,270,000)

• I'd urge all to vote yes on C and D

The facilities especially at Consol need major upgrades.
    The field house at Consol is not big enough to house the entire football program. Right now you have quite a few kids whose locker is across the street and they have to go back and forth.

The pressbox , concession stands and ticket booths are the same as when the stadium opened in 1989.

No doubt the sports facilities probably need updates, but to me, $52 MILLION is a lot of money. I would vote it down and then vote on giving about half of that and then state, that is what you have and all that you get.

Having been involved in budgeting for about 40 years, I know that you always propose and ask for much more than you can do with to get the job done and done well. There is always fluff in any budget request.

TellMeMore
    Remember Consol is WAY behind the curve because the Board was so excited about a new shiny high school they forgot to elevate Consol at least to some degree. Then the Prop failed. Do what you need to, but there is no reason the Consol folks should have to wait in hallways because a School Board wanted their name on the plaques of a New High School. WO HOW.....LOOK AT US!
    trouble
    AG
    Consol currently has classes meeting in the library because their classrooms aren't usable due to mold issues and the remediation of such.

Cartographer
    We need to keep the high schools in good repair. Fix the mold, renovate the areas.

You can vote no but, maybe consider skipping it on the ballot.

If you fail to maintain what you have you ALWAYS have to replace and the current capital/real estate environment isn't in any way conducive to building another high school.
    aggiepaintrain
    AG
    trouble said:

Consol currently has classes meeting in the library because their classrooms aren't usable due to mold issues and the remediation of such.

this is UNACCEPTABLE
    BiochemAg97
    AG
    HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

OR...since cost efficiencies are sought...

We merge BISD and CSISD.

Then you will be bussing Bryan kids to CSHS.
    BiochemAg97
    AG
    doubledog said:

Stupe said:

I agree.

Those kids don't need decent facilities for extra curricular activities.

Why even have sports? Let them go home, play XBox, and get fat.
    They have a decent facility now. We are not competing with other high schools to build sports taj mahals.

Definitely not competing to build sports taj mahals if all they are asking for is 38.5 mil for renovations across 2 football facilities.
    Stupe
    S
    You are getting into a discussion with someone that has no clue about those facilities.

No a single clue.

And is not open to the opinions of others or to the facts of what others are saying.

There is not reason to argue with ignorance.

I'm not calling the person ignorant. I meant ignorance about the situation.
    LJF78
    doubledog said:

Aggie said:

doubledog said:

Stupe said:

Zero.

No I care however I am of the mindset that our students would be better off learning how to design a football rather than throw it.

Some people don't see the value in HS athletics.
    To those I would say educate yourself.
    There is so much more young people take away from participating in athletics than just the sport of it .
    BCSWguru
    Are they not participating in athletics currently? Would $50 million make more kids participate?
    scs01
    BCSWguru said:

Are they not participating in athletics currently? Would $50 million make more kids participate?
    Not sure that more can participate, but I understand the point of the upgrades as allowing students to *continue* participating with reasonable facilities. Facilities get old, worn out, and stop working properly.

I'm not familiar with the football facilities, more so with the CSISD pool. In recent years the pool heater kept conking out, the showers were cold, etc. So there were real functional problems, not just aesthetic issues. The district is spending $2 million from the last bond to renovate the facility. Might sound like a lot, but that amount won't get us close to the level of many surrounding districts in terms of facilities--only back to a properly functioning pool that hopefully can last for a number more years. The district considered building a new natatorium at various points for what would have been several times the renovation cost, see https://swimswam.com/texas-style-high-school-pools/ for examples. They instead took a more fiscally conservative approach to keep the current facility functioning.

I see the proposed athletics renovations in much the same light. AMCHS is an older building which has seen increasingly heavy use over the past several years, and it stands to reason that it's going to need significant investment to keep it running at a level that doesn't distract from educational goals. For me this includes both core academics and extracurriculars such as athletics, which I view as having an important educational function. Many here have made a good case that the facilities, athletic and otherwise, are pretty much decrepit. Maintaining and upgrading them now is the right move to get them back to a properly functioning state and hopefully keep them that way for many more years.

George Costanza
    "Are they not participating in athletics currently? Would $50 million make more kids participate?"

Fair question .... I do know the current Consol fieldhouse and concession stand, for example, were built for a smaller 4A school and it is now a large 5A.

Here is some additional info on the athletics projects: https://www.csisd.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=1301524&pageId=93844469 and https://www.csisd.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=1301524&pageId=93844477

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.