Can we revisit the CSISD Bond Discussion (signs are up, voting day approaches)

53,041 Views | 460 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Stupe
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure NISD is going to just give up all that revenue. They are in worse financial shape. Last I heard they can't afford bleachers for their football stadium and were leasing them.
Aggie
AG
woodiewood1 said:

For those who attend football games, is the home side stands full for each game?

No it's not
Some of the proposed spending is questionable .
There is seating capacity expansion mentioned in the bond, neither football stadium needs capacity expansion.
Tumble Weed
I am voting
Nope, nope, lol no, lol no.

doubledog
Tumble Weed said:

I am voting

Sent 2 kids through the system. Offered the second kid private school but she declined because of her friends.

Knowing what I know now, I would have just started them both in private school from the beginning.
Has it really mattered if we vote these props down. They (our city and school boards) just repackage them and we will see them next year. Remember how many times we voted down the new CS city hall funding, and yet ... I heart Aggieland.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
doubledog said:

Tumble Weed said:

I am voting

Has it really mattered if we vote these props down. They (our city and school boards) just repackage them and we will see them next year. Remember how many times we voted down the new CS city hall funding, and yet ... I heart Aggieland.
I hear you, but the city issued debt obligations (which did not require voter approval) to build the new city hall. This means the city debt is either paid out of M&O or the general fund--not I&S.

Given CSISD's last few budgets, they don't have the ability to use debt obligations to build anything.
jwj
Well some are voting yes yes yes yes Makes it a horserace
jim james
woodiewood1
Tailgate88 said:

Stupe said:

Kicking the can down the road.

A 3rd high school is going to be needed.
You and I agree 99% of the time. I agree a 3rd High School is going to be needed but that is at least a decade away based on current projections.

From this video: (start at the 1:50 mark)

Current capacity:
Consol: 2350
CSHS: 1950

If the bond is approved, the projects would increase the capacity of both high schools to 2700 and delay the need for a 3rd high school for the forseeable future.

(Now, at some point that means either or both are going to bump up to 6A. If I had a magic money tree I'd rather have three 5A high schools in the district because all would be more competitive in athletics and fine arts. BUT, sadly, I do not have such a tree.)
If the school voucher bill ever passes, you might see both schools have reduction in enrollment for a few year as more parents send their children to private schools.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Early vote numbers have Prop A yes votes leading 73-27,
prop B is up 66-34, and C and D are up but only 53-47 so it will be close.
91_Aggie
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Stupe said:

Kicking the can down the road.

A 3rd high school is going to be needed.
You and I agree 99% of the time. I agree a 3rd High School is going to be needed but that is at least a decade away based on current projections.

From this video: (start at the 1:50 mark)

Current capacity:
Consol: 2350
CSHS: 1950

If the bond is approved, the projects would increase the capacity of both high schools to 2700 and delay the need for a 3rd high school for the forseeable future.

(Now, at some point that means either or both are going to bump up to 6A. If I had a magic money tree I'd rather have three 5A high schools in the district because all would be more competitive in athletics and fine arts. BUT, sadly, I do not have such a tree.)
If the school voucher bill ever passes, you might see both schools have reduction in enrollment for a few year as more parents send their children to private schools.

What is the current capacity at private schools in this area? Do they have enough room to move any substantial attendance numbers?
Are the people who want to send their kids to private school really in the economic demographic that would send their kids to private school if only they could afford it?

Honest questions I don't know the answers to
JMac03
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Early vote numbers have Prop A yes votes leading 73-27,
prop B is up 66-34, and C and D are up but only 53-47 so it will be close.

Love to see this. Keep info coming - I'm on a cruise so can't watch news.
Captn_Ag05
AG
With 56% of the vote in, To me, it appears A and B will pass easily. C and D are 50/50, with a handful of more no votes at the moment.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Simmen beat the incumbent.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A and B pass easily. C and D fail narrowly.

BulldAg99
BulldAg99
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

A and B pass easily. C and D fail narrowly.

Unfortunately the trend continues. The majority of CS residents don't want to invest in youth sports facilities.
FightinTxAg14
AG
All the hard work these athletes, coaches, and parents put in to show the community how outdated and inadequate the athletic facilities are at Consol, hope yall are happy saving enough to get your lunch for tomorrow. It's truly a shame.
BulldAg99
AG
FightinTxAg14 said:

All the hard work these athletes, coaches, and parents put in to show the community how outdated and inadequate the athletic facilities are at Consol, hope yall are happy saving enough to get your lunch for tomorrow. It's truly a shame.

THIS!
George Costanza
Yeah … I'm not sure I'd call that a narrow defeat of C& D. The times they are a changing ….
Hornbeck
We seem to have invested quite a bit in the new ball fields, only for it to be a complete bust…
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I'm generally against raising taxes for that kinda stuff but I'm not sure many people realize exactly how bad Consol is in these areas.
BCSWguru
no shame here. we are tired of paying for athletics and facilities we cannot use.
TAMU1990
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I'm generally against raising taxes for that kinda stuff but I'm not sure many people realize exactly how bad Consol is in these areas.
It's time to open up Consol for tours. Consol got left out and CSHS gets what they want.
JMac03
AG

It was terrible years ago when my oldest was there. I'm really sad they failed to pass.
TAMU1990
AG
BCSWguru said:

no shame here. we are tired of paying for athletics and facilities we cannot use.
But you are paying for most of it because A passed
Cartographer
That field house hasn't been expanded since I was there in the late 90's. It was too small then.

Oh well, CSHS gets a third gym, Consol gets.... brought up to TEA standards.
BulldAg99
AG
Hornbeck said:

We seem to have invested quite a bit in the new ball fields, only for it to be a complete bust…

Blame our city counsel for that. Phase 2 didn't pass.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I am pleased that A passed overwhelmingly. The students of CSISD, and the community, will benefit for many years as a result.
txgardengirl
I miss when we had community pride in our schools and the facilities.

Sad day when we can't come up with the funds to make facilities equal or at least acceptable.

I'm glad I don't have kids in public schools anymore with this kinda of community support (or lack of)
Aggie
AG
Cartographer said:

That field house hasn't been expanded since I was there in the late 90's. It was too small then.

Oh well, CSHS gets a third gym, Consol gets.... brought up to TEA standards.

Fieldhouse at consol was actually completly redone mid 2000's.

Glad A and B passed
Disappointed C and D didn't

Our community has shown majority don't value HS athletics.
I visit alot of HS facilities all over the state, football and baseball.
The facilities at Consol are pretty bad, there are several 3A and 4A schools with better facilities .
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
TAMU1990 said:

It's time to open up Consol for tours. Consol got left out and CSHS gets what they want.

Absolutely.

Complete night and day difference between Consol and CSHS.

To put in terms some of us older locals might understand....CSHS looks like a rich powerhouse 5A establishment (both school and athletics) and Consol looks like one of those lowly 2A establishment that is in the news every couple years for not meeting state standards in various areas. It's completely unfair.

And for the record I'm a huge football fan but I absolutely do not believe high schools should have some of these ridiculous luxury set ups we see around the state. I'm just asking for something that is at least a little nicer and more modern and something the kids can feel proud to play in . The contrast with College Station is beyond ridiculous
MiMi
S
How does voter turn out for this election compare to other elections? It's a shame that less than 11,000 voters showed up this year.
FightinTxAg14
AG
BCSWguru said:

You're paying for majority of it with building renovations. You do realize if there's about 2000 kids at consol, over half the student population uses those facilities in some capacity. Thanks for thinking about the kids rather than yourself…
aggiepaintrain
AG
All of those who voted down #3 please move
Stupe
S
TAMU1990 said:

That is a pile of bull manure.

CSHS parents had signs in their yards and were actively pushing for those to pass because everyone knows that Consol needs improvement.

And it was the same thing during the last bond push to improve the athletic facilities at Consol.

Stupe
S
Of course there is a difference. One is a brand new school and one is decades old.
Newer things are usually going to be more nice. But that was recognized and it's why there was a push by the CSHS booster club to get people to vote yes on the propositions.

The people voting against those propositions weren't CSHS parents. It was people that don't have kids in school or had kids that weren't involved in school activities.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.