BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
219,680 Views | 1036 Replies
Reload84
1:13p, 2/14/24
Hate to hear this news about restaurants and local businesses closing. We all need to be more intentional in supporting local small businesspeople.
ratfacemcdougal
1:39p, 2/14/24
Rusty says M Beaux is opening again
Tumble Weed
4:19p, 2/14/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
EBrazosAg said:

Murdochs now open.
Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply now open in College Station https://www.kbtx.com/2024/01/30/murdochs-ranch-home-supply-now-open-college-station/

Now just wondering if the Briarcrest Jersey Mikes will ever open. ……
Murdochs is awesome! Already stopped by there twice. It is like a really big Tractor Supply with guns. Now I don't have to fight the crowds at Academy.
Rex Racer
4:27p, 2/14/24
In reply to Tumble Weed
Tumble Weed said:

EBrazosAg said:

Murdochs now open.
Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply now open in College Station https://www.kbtx.com/2024/01/30/murdochs-ranch-home-supply-now-open-college-station/

Now just wondering if the Briarcrest Jersey Mikes will ever open. ……
Murdochs is awesome! Already stopped by there twice. It is like a really big Tractor Supply with guns. Now I don't have to fight the crowds at Academy.
Oh, they have guns????

I'm so there.
Captn_Ag05
4:37p, 2/14/24
They have a pretty decent selection of Carhartt stuff too. I picked up a Carhartt lunch kit there.
MS08
6:47p, 2/14/24
Things come and things go. (BCS) is a Very tough city area for restaurants and retail. Very cyclical. And very college semester driven. Mid-December to mis-January and Summers are a big challenge to overcome. Take a lot of cash reserves. Those two forms of business ventures seem very high risk in this town, unfortunately.

College Station needs to lure industry outside of A&M to the market. Tough to do with Easterwood. Bryan does a better job with that.
phillytex24
7:49p, 2/14/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
Crawdaddy said:

MarineBQ04 said:

Anyone know the plan for Urban Table? Seems like it would need a very specific buyer.
Urban Table is for sale? Did I miss that somewhere in this thread?

The location is awkward. I never remember that it's there.
EBrazosAg
8:50p, 2/14/24
In reply to phillytex24
I thought it was a sale of the real estate with a lease back to the restaurant. I suspect some kind of interest rate adjustment or reset in the original financing that doesn't work with current rates.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ShinerBlonde
9:30p, 2/14/24
We have really been enjoying the Urban Table family meals on Wednesday. We skipped this week because we did date night at 1860 but otherwise Wednesdays are now reserved for Urban table takeout for the family.
TyHolden
9:54p, 2/14/24
Until they tunnel the railroad, this is everything west of Wellborn to me....

I somehow got to Urban Table, though, a couple times and really enjoyed it. The problem is, though, Waze doesn't work when you cross Wellborn.
trouble
10:10p, 2/14/24
In reply to TyHolden
Isn't Urban table at Barron and Fitch? That's east of Wellborn, isn't it?
TyHolden
10:22p, 2/14/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Isn't Urban table at Barron and Fitch? That's east of Wellborn, isn't it?
Yeah, that little triangle area of Wellborn and Fitch is tricky. That's probably why I've made it to Urban Table a time or two. If you're reading the signs off 6, it's basically right there when you exit. Only to find it's 2-3 miles east of 6. And if you mess up and hit the Wellborn Expressway, you're never coming home.

I just don't go that way too often if I don't have to. I like Urban Table, though, and will continue to support it when I'm vacationing in the east.
trouble
10:27p, 2/14/24
In reply to TyHolden
I just don't make it that far south very often. I like urban table and chef tai though.
Crawdaddy
4:06a, 2/15/24
I'm so SoCo resident and had been wanting something like Urban Table to come down that way for years... but I can't remember the last time I went. Guess I'm part of the problem
maroon barchetta
6:23a, 2/15/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
We used to go pretty regularly but a few visits in a row we mistakes with our order and it was not as good as previous visits. We just kind of dropped it from our list but maybe we need to give it another shot.
KidDoc
8:56a, 2/15/24
We go to Urban Table pretty often, usually for post church brunch!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tu ag
9:00a, 2/15/24
In reply to KidDoc
I know that some might have a different view, but we stopped going there when after they hosted drag shows.
It was disappointing.
instapt
10:18a, 2/15/24
In reply to tu ag
tu ag said:

I know that some might have a different view, but we stopped going there when after they hosted drag shows.
It was disappointing.
It's hard to find good drag shows in this area. It's only once a year, but you could check out Draggieland!
trouble
10:37a, 2/15/24
In reply to instapt
You misread him. He's not looking for a drag show.
Captn_Ag05
10:49a, 2/15/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

You misread him. He's not looking for a drag show.
Geralt of Rivia
11:07a, 2/15/24
In reply to tu ag
tu ag said:

It was disappointing.
I know quite a few people that stopped going to Papa Perez after hearing about their drag shows
trouble
11:12a, 2/15/24
In reply to Geralt of Rivia
And the folks at PP will tell you that the drag brunches helped save their business during/shortly after the pandemic.

If you don't like them, don't go during one.
Bigfootisreal
11:27a, 2/15/24
In reply to trouble
PP should focus on food quality- it used to be a favorite that we would hit up once a month. It is pretty bad now and we no longer go. Not because of drag shows, because the food isn't that good anymore. Maybe they should focus on quality, not entertainment.
trouble
11:36a, 2/15/24
In reply to Bigfootisreal
We go about once a week for lunch and haven't had issues with the food.

tu ag
11:45a, 2/15/24
I wasn't trying to thread derail with culture wars.
My point is that sometimes when you try to appeal to one side, you alienate another - therefore costing business you may never hear about.

Businesses need to understand that planting a flag sometimes drives the flag into the nail of their own coffin.
Crawdaddy
12:10p, 2/15/24
I don't even think they ever actually hosted one. I'm pretty sure they got bullied into cancelling it.
techno-ag
12:42p, 2/15/24
chickencoupe16
12:53p, 2/15/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
Crawdaddy said:

I don't even think they ever actually hosted one. I'm pretty sure they got bullied into cancelling it.
There's a difference between bullying and social consequences. I bet they wish they had never planted that flag as one poster put in; now they've frustrated both sides and gained nothing.
tu ag
1:00p, 2/15/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/06/28/its-not-just-about-pride-drag-shows-providing-bcs-businesses-boost-after-pulling-some-through-pandemic/
Tumble Weed
1:36p, 2/15/24
In reply to tu ag
tu ag said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/06/28/its-not-just-about-pride-drag-shows-providing-bcs-businesses-boost-after-pulling-some-through-pandemic/

From the article

Some of the other places in town that have done these shows are The Corner Bar and Grill, Halo, Urban Table, The 101, and 3rd Floor Cantina.

Last night's show at Savage Brew Lab also raised money for The Trevor Project, a nonprofit that helps prevent suicide among youth in the LGBTQ community.

Bigfootisreal
1:47p, 2/15/24
In reply to trouble
Glad you like it!
chickencoupe16
3:56p, 2/15/24
In reply to Tumble Weed
I would have figured Halo would go without saying. Sorta like saying "Chic Fil A has started serving burgers. Another restaurant that has been serving burgers is Burger King."
Captn_Ag05
4:32p, 2/15/24
Pardon the interruption of the drag discussion, but city records show that permits have been pulled for interior work at 509 University (the former FedEx location in Northgate). The description is just "Sushi Bar." The owner is Cooley Properties, LLC.
Captn_Ag05
4:36p, 2/15/24
I also see a permit for 1501 University Dr. E, suite 100, which I believe may be the former Starbucks location. It is for a place called Balanced Foods.
Tailgate88
7:40p, 2/15/24
Can we please stop the derail and get back to comings and goings?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 11 of 30
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings