BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
220,487 Views | 1040 Replies
Expert Analysis
4:16p, 2/12/24
In reply to Thisguy1
Blaming the medians is not really realistic for Amico Nave. There is a turn bay for the road that goes right along side the parking lot and the road behind has easy access to lights on villa maria. Access with or without the medians is really good for the location. Access is much much worse for Shipwreck across the street.
The construction on the other hand is an issue. Tying up lanes during the median construction and south college being closed had to have hurt how many people are driving by.

I just ate at Shipwreck yesterday and have a reservation at Amico Nave Friday. Sad to see them go.

They still have kids eat free on Sundays at Shipwreck.
PS3D
6:27p, 2/12/24
You can turn left directly into Crane Avenue. I assume blaming medians is facetious.

The posted "fall hours" of Amico Nave shows they've been having some issues for quite some time.
PS3D
12:14a, 2/13/24
In reply to ChampsAg
ChampsAg said:

My wife was told this weekend that Casa Rod will be moving to College Station. Not sure how credible the source is so take it with a grain of salt.

Their College Station location wasn't long for this world.
MarineBQ04
5:34a, 2/13/24
Anyone know the plan for Urban Table? Seems like it would need a very specific buyer.
Smeghead4761
5:43a, 2/13/24
In reply to Expert Analysis
Amico Nave is my fiance's favorite restaurant locally. For the next 11 days, I guess.

Got a reservation for 6:30 Friday. Might see you there.
Crawdaddy
5:51a, 2/13/24
In reply to MarineBQ04
MarineBQ04 said:

Anyone know the plan for Urban Table? Seems like it would need a very specific buyer.
Urban Table is for sale? Did I miss that somewhere in this thread?
Charpie
6:05a, 2/13/24
In reply to Smeghead4761
Smeghead4761 said:

Amico Nave is my fiance's favorite restaurant locally. For the next 11 days, I guess.

Got a reservation for 6:30 Friday. Might see you there.
I honestly had never heard of this place until I saw that it was closing down.
trouble
6:44a, 2/13/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
I haven't seen that either.
Tailgate88
7:10a, 2/13/24
In reply to PS3D
PS3D said:

ChampsAg said:

My wife was told this weekend that Casa Rod will be moving to College Station. Not sure how credible the source is so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't remember them having a CS location. I remember a rumor that they were going to move to Tower Point back around the time HEB opened but then it supposedly fell through. I would imagine rent at Tower Point is pretty high...
lawless89
7:30a, 2/13/24
In reply to Tailgate88
Tailgate88 said:

PS3D said:

ChampsAg said:

I don't remember them having a CS location. I remember a rumor that they were going to move to Tower Point back around the time HEB opened but then it supposedly fell through. I would imagine rent at Tower Point is pretty high...

It was at the west end of the Shell station on Dartmouth and Southwest Parkway.
Crawdaddy
7:31a, 2/13/24
In reply to lawless89
Indeed. Pretty short lived but we used to go before or after church all the time. Pretty fantastic migas plates
maroon barchetta
7:57a, 2/13/24
In reply to lawless89
lawless89 said:

Tailgate88 said:

PS3D said:

ChampsAg said:

It was at the west end of the Shell station on Dartmouth and Southwest Parkway.

Where Master Donut is?
lawless89
8:05a, 2/13/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
Yep.
maroon barchetta
8:22a, 2/13/24
In reply to lawless89
I don't remember that at all.

That being said, it's not a great location for a restaurant.
MarineBQ04
8:49a, 2/13/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
https://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-Opportunity/college-station-two-story-dining-and-lively-bar-chef-tai-masterpiece/2198149/
trouble
8:56a, 2/13/24
In reply to MarineBQ04
I'm confused. Are they just selling the building? It mentions a lease back for the restaurant.
Captn_Ag05
10:51a, 2/13/24
In reply to trouble
It looks like the building, including the restaurant and the other retail space is for sale. The leaseback language is a bit confusing because I would think the new owner would just inherit the lease.
trouble
11:25a, 2/13/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
That was my assumption as well
Bucketrunner
3:42p, 2/13/24
We love the food and drink at Urban Table. I hope it stays open.
redball
4:02a, 2/14/24
In reply to Expert Analysis
Re Amico Nave: If the medians were to blame Shipwreck would be closing, too.
redball
4:10a, 2/14/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
Re Amico Nave: It's not the medians. The medians are a great excuse for other problems with a business. Scope out Yelp and Google reviews for some common themes and you'll understand why a business is closing.

Also, every business goes through a natural life cycle and will eventually close. That's the beauty and the ugly reality of capitalism.
Smeghead4761
5:08a, 2/14/24
That said, parking in downtown Bryan is a legitimate issue.

Specifically, the Varisco building needs its own garage or lot. I was at the Chocolate Gallery Tuesday afternoon (V-day chocolate acquisition), and between walking to and from my car, I saw four people leaving the upstairs office entrance/exit of the Varisco building and walk to cars parked on the street in front of businesses.

It would also have been nice if the city sized the parking spots for full sized pickups instead of compact cars. Not that that issue is limited to downtown Bryan (looks at TAMU Transportation).
Rex Racer
6:25a, 2/14/24
In reply to Smeghead4761
Smeghead4761 said:

That said, parking in downtown Bryan is a legitimate issue.

Specifically, the Varisco building needs its own garage or lot. I was at the Chocolate Gallery Tuesday afternoon (V-day chocolate acquisition), and between walking to and from my car, I saw four people leaving the upstairs office entrance/exit of the Varisco building and walk to cars parked on the street in front of businesses.

It would also have been nice if the city sized the parking spots for full sized pickups instead of compact cars. Not that that issue is limited to downtown Bryan (looks at TAMU Transportation).

The city could solve that by making the parking spots on the median 90 minute spots like the ones along the building side.
BCSWguru
7:48a, 2/14/24
I had lunch downtown yesterday and had no problems finding a parking spot. Even stopped by the Varisco to see how its going. They made that place nice.
trouble
7:50a, 2/14/24
In reply to BCSWguru
We eat downtown at least once a week for lunch and rarely have issues parking. And yes, the Varisco looks lovely.
Charpie
8:15a, 2/14/24
In reply to trouble
I have come to believe that people in this town just like to complain..about EVERYTHING...even if it isn't an issue.

• Parking sucks
  • Everything is expensive
  • OMG another chicken restaurant!
  • OH NOES, ANOTHER CHAIN IS CLOSING!
  • ON NOES, ANOTHER CHAIN IS COMING IN!
  • Medians? What are those?
TXAGBQ76
8:18a, 2/14/24
In reply to Charpie
Don't forgot those danged students getting in the way of everything!

It always make me laugh hear folks who chose to move to a place with a large major university and complain because there are students everywhere.
KidDoc
8:18a, 2/14/24
In reply to redball
redball said:

Re Amico Nave: It's not the medians. The medians are a great excuse for other problems with a business. Scope out Yelp and Google reviews for some common themes and you'll understand why a business is closing.

Also, every business goes through a natural life cycle and will eventually close. That's the beauty and the ugly reality of capitalism.
Although many businesses run a "life cycle", there are many that do not. It just depends on management, advertising, etc.

List of the oldest restaurants in the United States - Wikipedia

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Charpie
8:21a, 2/14/24
In reply to TXAGBQ76
TXAGBQ76 said:

Don't forgot those danged students getting in the way of everything!

It always make me laugh hear folks who chose to move to a place with a large major university and complain because there are students everywhere.
Yes those too.

I get that I moved here from Austin after 23 years. I keep looking at the things that folks complain about and shake my head. The folks who are complaining about how expensive things are also want a Cheesecake Factory to be built here and a Main Event type place to take their kids to. I'm like, "uh..have y'all ever been to those places?"
drthoop
10:04a, 2/14/24
And so many choose to overlook the fact that if not for the students and University that there would be no College Station. It's in the damn name. And Bryan would not be near as big a city as it is.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
TXAGBQ76
10:13a, 2/14/24
In reply to drthoop
Yep, College Station was just that- a train station serving the college. The professors and college workers lived in Bryan.
Bryan was a major banking center, huge cotton center, etc.- as well farming in general.
BlueMiles
10:21a, 2/14/24
Coming and going
Coming and going
Coming and going
Charpie
10:37a, 2/14/24
Has anyone heard anything about Wokamole? I assume they are closed because the owner had her baby.
AggiePhil
11:03a, 2/14/24
In reply to Charpie
Charpie said:

Has anyone heard anything about Wokamole? I assume they are closed because the owner had her baby.
Too fickle of an operation. Always opening and closing for various reasons.
trouble
11:06a, 2/14/24
In reply to AggiePhil
The only other time they were closed for an extended time was to visit dying relatives in China.

It's literally 2 people running it.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 10 of 30
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off