BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
219,036 Views | 1032 Replies
TyHolden
11:16a, 2/11/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta said:

One Louder said:

Roni's Mac and Cheese bar going into the Which Wich space by campus.
That's a bold move.
I'd give a Korean corn dog place a better chance at making it there...
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
11:53a, 2/11/24
Been to La Carreta a few times since they reopened

Same delicious chow as before. Surprised at always less than half full, but haven't been on a weekend either
12:17p, 2/11/24
In reply to TyHolden
Which Which was the most sensible option for that space and the most affordable food option nearby.

If they couldn't make it I don't know how a Mac and cheese place will make it
Hornbeck
1:31p, 2/11/24
In reply to m3prsive
$12,750 a month in rent plus Triple net?

Sign me up! /s

Also: why can't we get anything but chain restaurants?
TXAGBQ76
1:36p, 2/11/24
In reply to Hornbeck
Seems like this town is filled with locally owned restaurants. What are you looking for from a new perspective?
Hornbeck
2:27p, 2/11/24
In reply to TXAGBQ76
It was sarcasm.

Personally, I want good seafood that isn't Cajun or catfish. Over my periods of time here we had great places like Pelican's Wharf, Rockfish, and even Red Lobster. Those are all gone to be replaced by Boudreaux's Fried Catfish Kitchen
TXAGBQ76
3:08p, 2/11/24
In reply to Hornbeck
I agree on that! We've got some okay seafood here, but not great!
TyHolden
3:08p, 2/11/24
maroon barchetta said:

Which Which was the most sensible option for that space and the most affordable food option nearby.

we've had 2 mac and cheese places go oob in less than a year. i give this less than 5% chance of being there next year.
Smeghead4761
11:26p, 2/11/24
In reply to happyinBCS
happyinBCS said:

it is my understanding the medians and road construction really hurt their business.
"We have challenges with construction. We have some shiny new medians out front that have been extremely hard and devastating to revenues," says Wade."

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/02/12/two-more-restaurants-announce-closure-adding-growing-list-bryan-college-station/
BiochemAg97
11:33p, 2/11/24
In reply to Smeghead4761
Smeghead4761 said:

happyinBCS said:

it is my understanding the medians and road construction really hurt their business.
"We have challenges with construction. We have some shiny new medians out front that have been extremely hard and devastating to revenues," says Wade."

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/02/12/two-more-restaurants-announce-closure-adding-growing-list-bryan-college-station/

I find it interesting blaming closing amico nave on the medians but to keep shipwreck grill open given it is the same stretch of road and same medians.
PS3D
1:51a, 2/12/24
In reply to TyHolden
TyHolden said:

maroon barchetta said:

we've had 2 mac and cheese places go oob in less than a year. i give this less than 5% chance of being there next year.

Their following on social media suggests differently.
trouble
6:43a, 2/12/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
Riiiiiight? Even before the medians, it was rarely busy when I drove by.
ChampsAg
9:30a, 2/12/24
In reply to Charpie
Thank you!!! I was just about to post this. If I want to go to a restaurant, I will find a way to get there. You adjust your route accordingly to do so. I consistently adjust my route to avoid traffic so avoiding the medians has not been an issue for me.

I wanted to go to Fargo's a couple of months ago. Didn't realize the median made a left turn not possible. Went to the next intersection and did a u-turn. Next time I went, I planned for it.

Quit complaining about the medians killing businesses. If anything, I would imagine if they were affecting your eating decisions that much you didn't really care about going there in the first place.
ChampsAg
9:31a, 2/12/24
My wife was told this weekend that Casa Rod will be moving to College Station. Not sure how credible the source is so take it with a grain of salt.
Rex Racer
9:39a, 2/12/24
In reply to ChampsAg
ChampsAg said:

My wife was told this weekend that Casa Rod will be moving to College Station. Not sure how credible the source is so take it with a grain of salt.
Interesting that they are willing to consider selling the name, then.
Anna Molly
10:33a, 2/12/24
In reply to Rex Racer
Rex Racer said:

ChampsAg said:

Interesting that they are willing to consider selling the name, then.
In the KBTX story they mentioned parking as a reason for slow business. Which is interesting considering this language from the listing:

"Located at the corner of West 24th Street and North Bryan Avenue, the property has excellent visibility and benefits from abundant on-street parking."
trouble
10:43a, 2/12/24
In reply to Anna Molly
They are trying to blame A&M moving some departments to the Varisco building for their lack of business.

Their disappointing service and serious drop off in food quality is what has done it.
Rex Racer
10:53a, 2/12/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

They are trying to blame A&M moving some departments to the Varisco building for their lack of business.

Their disappointing service and serious drop off in food quality is what has done it.
Nobody that works in the Varisco Building parks all the way over there. Can't believe they are saying that!
MyNameIsJeff
11:22a, 2/12/24
I think Amico Nave just didn't advertise properly. I've mentioned my disappointment in it closing to several people that didn't even know if existed. I think it is one of the best and most underrated restaurants in town.

Casa Rod, on the other hand, has significantly gone downhill. It was one of my favorite places 10 years ago. My wife and I went there twice in the last four years or so to receive poor service and food that tasted like it came from the frozen food aisle.
trouble
11:23a, 2/12/24
In reply to Rex Racer
I know!!!!!! But they are counting on people not knowing downtown well.
Roxie146
12:01p, 2/12/24
In reply to Rex Racer
We used to eat weekly at Casa Rod in the original building following them to the corner location. In the last years (5-7-) the food and service became untenable. We eat at another restaurant downtown Bryan every Tuesday and have been for several years- creatures of habit. Parking is sometimes a creative process but we seem to find a spot every week.

If the food, service and price are consistent, parking is a non issue.
techno-ag
12:09p, 2/12/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
MyNameIsJeff said:

I think Amico Nave just didn't advertise properly. I've mentioned my disappointment in it closing to several people that didn't even know if existed. I think it is one of the best and most underrated restaurants in town.

Casa Rod, on the other hand, has significantly gone downhill. It was one of my favorite places 10 years ago. My wife and I went there twice in the last four years or so to receive poor service and food that tasted like it came from the frozen food aisle.
I'm sad to see them go too. The restaurant business is such a tough one. Food prices keep rising, cutting into margins. Menu prices keep rising. Families are more careful about where and when (or if) they eat out in this terrible economy. Then you have the always present issue of finding good employees.

Here's hoping better days are ahead.
Mr.Short-termMemory
12:27p, 2/12/24
In reply to Rex Racer
Rex Racer said:

trouble said:

Nobody that works in the Varisco Building parks all the way over there. Can't believe they are saying that!

Not saying I know the parking habits of those that work at the Varisco Building, but they are just a block away from Casa Rod. It actually makes a lot of sense they would park near the Varisco Building, which is near Casa Rodriguez.

A Net Full of Jello
12:37p, 2/12/24
In reply to trouble
Exactly right. I last ate there probably a year and a half ago. I hadn't enjoyed their food the past few times I had gone but wanted to give them another try. The food was still bad and the service was incredibly slow, which was interesting since it was noon and there were only two or three other occupied tables. The parking situation might not have helped, but it's their bad food and service that really did them in.
Charpie
12:40p, 2/12/24
I never understood the allure of Casa Rod when I can get just as good or even better Tex Mex at either Don Chente or La Botana.
Hornbeck
12:43p, 2/12/24
Nostalgia.

It was good years ago, but every time we've been over the past five years (3-4) have left us disappointed with both the food and the service.
Rex Racer
12:47p, 2/12/24
In reply to Mr.Short-termMemory
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Rex Racer said:

trouble said:

Not saying I know the parking habits of those that work at the Varisco Building, but they are just a block away from Casa Rod. It actually makes a lot of sense they would park near the Varisco Building, which is near Casa Rodriguez.

I do know the parking habits of those who work in the Varisco Building. Nobody is parking over there. There are numerous spots that are much closer.

Mr.Short-termMemory
1:01p, 2/12/24
In reply to Rex Racer
Rex Racer said:

Rex Racer said:

trouble said:

I do know the parking habits of those who work in the Varisco Building. Nobody is parking over there. There are numerous spots that are much closer.

We can agree to disagree, but you've proven my point. In your map, you highlight parking a block away (the northern highlight), the same distance or further than front door of Casa Rodriguez is from the Varisco Building. My point is the parking in between Casa Rod and Varisco may be used by employees and patrons of both. Parking near Casa Rod is not "way over there," it's closer than what you highlight and describe as "much closer."
Rex Racer
1:12p, 2/12/24
In reply to Mr.Short-termMemory

Rex Racer said:

Rex Racer said:

trouble said:

We can agree to disagree, but you've proven my point. In your map, you highlight parking a block away (the northern highlight), the same distance or further than front door of Casa Rodriguez is from the Varisco Building. My point is the parking in between Casa Rod and Varisco may be used by employees and patrons of both. Parking near Casa Rod is not "way over there," it's closer than what you highlight and describe as "much closer."

People are mostly parking in those two lots highlighted because they are set aside for the Varisco. And any parking on the building side of the street is 90 minute parking, so you can't park there. If people were parking over there, they would be towed. There is no center of the street parking over there like there is on Main St.
WonkaTXRanger
2:19p, 2/12/24
In reply to Rex Racer
Rex Racer said:

Rex Racer said:

Rex Racer said:

trouble said:

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/c6/e0/c6e067e9a05a3ce0f6aeb796c90ee79301e25a81_652821_u77880.jpg

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/54/da/54dadff71a42629a444cd7813419c07a34995636_147329_u26315.jpg

People are mostly parking in those two lots highlighted because they are set aside for the Varisco. And any parking on the building side of the street is 90 minute parking, so you can't park there. If people were parking over there, they would be towed. There is no center of the street parking over there like there is on Main St.

Unfortunately, the 90-minute and 30-minute parking in Downtown Bryan is not enforced. Office workers show up at 7-8AM and park there throughout the workday. The difference in parking availability M-F vs Saturday along the storefronts is staggering.
maroon barchetta
2:44p, 2/12/24
In reply to WonkaTXRanger
Business owners need to pressure the city to enforce those timed parking spaces.

Transportation on the TAMU campus can give them some pointers. Watch the money start rolling in from those tickets
WonkaTXRanger
2:53p, 2/12/24
maroon barchetta said:

Business owners need to pressure the city to enforce those timed parking spaces.

Transportation on the TAMU campus can give them some pointers. Watch the money start rolling in from those tickets
The signs have been up for more than a decade. It's been an ongoing struggle.

Edit: Checked Google Street View; the signs were there in 2012.
EBrazosAg
3:16p, 2/12/24
Can we take the derailed conversation about parking to a different thread ?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAGBQ76
3:24p, 2/12/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
Funny how folks will go to the mat over an issue that does not effect them
Thisguy1
3:39p, 2/12/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
BiochemAg97 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

happyinBCS said:

I find it interesting blaming closing amico nave on the medians but to keep shipwreck grill open given it is the same stretch of road and same medians.

They got what they wanted adding in that last little bit. I get home from work and the wife says she wants to go eat there before they close because we've never been outside of a wedding party. Then she adds she heard they're closing because of the medians.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 9 of 30
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings