BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
220,053 Views | 1040 Replies
FlyRod
10:10a, 1/3/24
The Lobster food truck (Cousins) will be back at Townshire Plaza in Bryan this Friday, 11-8.

Expensive but good!
KidDoc
10:17a, 1/3/24
In reply to cypress-ag
cypress-ag said:

For the long time folks in BCS, why do the local Mexican places like La Famila, CoCo Loco, etc not offer margaritas ? We have tried like crazy to find our Friday evening Mexican food place like we had back in Cypress and it's a waste land. Sadly we opt for Gringos or Lupes but miss a good little mom and pop place. Jose's is a hard no, casa rod is hit or miss as is Papa Perez. Mas Fajitas is meh.
I really like Maria mia on the access road near University, where Ninfa's was. They make some crawfish enchiladas that are like crack for me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EBrazosAg
10:19a, 1/3/24
In reply to KidDoc
Agreed. They have improved significantly since the opening.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
archangelus2
10:41a, 1/3/24
I'm new to this thread so getting caught up, sorry if already discussed...

Are we really getting an REI? Impressive if so.
Dustoff00
2:14p, 1/3/24
In reply to KidDoc
Ditto on the Crawfish Enchiladas. It's like the green sauce at coco loco.
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
CWIsom
11:39a, 1/4/24
Anything heard about Hooter's in Bryan? Pulled up last night and lights were off and chairs on tables. Heard a rumor not to long ago that they were closing for good.
CWIsom
12:16p, 1/4/24
Also Jamba Juice on University has closed via Rusty
maroon barchetta
12:35p, 1/4/24
In reply to CWIsom
Pour out an Orange Dream Machine for me.

I used to live on those things.
MyNameIsJeff
12:40p, 1/4/24
In reply to archangelus2
archangelus2 said:

I'm new to this thread so getting caught up, sorry if already discussed...

Are we really getting an REI? Impressive if so.
It was discussed in the 2023 thread quite a bit.

Yes. In the old Albertsons.
Crawdaddy
1:09p, 1/4/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
I thought a gym was going there?
Captn_Ag05
1:18p, 1/4/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
Crawdaddy said:

The old Albertson's location is right at 80,000 square feet. The Crunch Fitness is taking up around 45,000 SF of that. The REI that was announced is taking up 22,500 SF. There are two other retail spaces available at 12,500 SF total.

halibut sinclair
1:38p, 1/4/24
In reply to CWIsom
CWIsom said:

Anything heard about Hooter's in Bryan? Pulled up last night and lights were off and chairs on tables. Heard a rumor not to long ago that they were closing for good.

They are open right now.
MyNameIsJeff
1:40p, 1/4/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
Captn_Ag05 said:

Crawdaddy said:

The old Albertson's location is right at 80,000 square feet. The Crunch Fitness is taking up around 45,000 SF of that. The REI that was announced is taking up 22,500 SF. There are two other retail spaces available at 12,500 SF total.

Is the strip to the left (where GoldStar Barber is now) also being renovated, or did the architect get a little carried away with the rendering?
trouble
1:41p, 1/4/24
In reply to CWIsom
This rumor keeps resurfacing but it's usually busy when I drive past there.
Captn_Ag05
1:42p, 1/4/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
Not sure but Oldham Goodwin is actively marketing that segment of the center as well.
FlyRod
2:06p, 1/4/24
Original Shun de Mom is closed.

Which sucks because it was amazing and their Northgate branch (still open) is basically Panda Express.
CWIsom
2:25p, 1/4/24
In reply to trouble
Prob staffing issues
MyNameIsJeff
2:28p, 1/4/24
In reply to FlyRod
FlyRod said:

Which sucks because it was amazing and their Northgate branch (still open) is basically Panda Express.
I had never heard of it until now. A quick google search shows their Northgate location is also closed, although it's listed as temporary.
CWIsom
2:38p, 1/4/24
Wayback Burger in Bryan is closed again
CWIsom
3:12p, 1/4/24
Wich Wich has closed as well
maroon barchetta
3:28p, 1/4/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
MyNameIsJeff said:

FlyRod said:

I had never heard of it until now. A quick google search shows their Northgate location is also closed, although it's listed as temporary.

My son and his friends are not happy about it being closed.
Captn_Ag05
4:04p, 1/4/24
Speaking of Shun de Mom in Northgate, a superfood bowls place called Nautical Bowls is going in next to the Sun de Mom in the Rise building. I believe this location was previously a bank branch.

https://nauticalbowls.com
Hornbeck
4:21p, 1/4/24
Bad week for local restaurants it seems.
Mr.Short-termMemory
7:21p, 1/4/24
In reply to Hornbeck
Hornbeck said:

Bad week for local restaurants it seems.

ShinerBlonde
7:33p, 1/4/24
Honestly, as expensive as food is lately and the way quality and service has gone down I'm not surprised we are losing places. We have cut down eating out a lot because with 3 teenagers at home it expensive even for "fast food" but when we do eat out I am often disappointed. I had to work late tonight so to feed us at the 3 teenagers I sent my husband to grab Freddy's. $60 for 5 meals and they shorted us a fry. We got breakfast tacos recently at another drive thru and got home and we were short a taco. I'm sticking to just my favorite local places and I'll be checking every to go order bag more carefully.
maroon barchetta
8:39p, 1/4/24
In reply to ShinerBlonde
It's to the point that I check every item before I leave the parking lot when I pick up food.

This includes places like Blue Baker or Fuego or La Familia. Or places without a drive-thru like 1860 Italia or Hullabaloo Diner.

Hullabaloo doesn't get my order wrong. La Familia and Fuego just very rarely have a problem.

Everywhere else, especially a chain, must be checked. We don't live close to most places so getting home with a wrong order is disappointing.

Even Chick Fil A has goofed my order and they are typically solid.
bcstx06
9:36p, 1/4/24
Thanks everyone! I have updated the front page. Let me know if I have missed anything.
agmamaco09
5:57a, 1/5/24
In reply to bcstx06
Other recently opened:
pOpshelf - Wildflower Drive near Bryan Target
Postal Plus - near Wonderland in front of Towerpoint H-E-B

Opening Soon:
Cinnaholic in Kohls shopping center
agmamaco09
8:06a, 1/5/24
Also I saw there is place called Side Porch Coffee near the Shenandoah entrance and haven't seen any recent updates on their instagram… anyone know what the hold up is? Always happy to see more local places open, especially coffee shops in SoCo. (RIP Tipsy Bean…)

As a mom of three young kids I also find it interesting that there's hardly any places you can take kids to and enjoy as an adult, similar to something you'd see in the Austin burbs. Breweries with space for people to spread out, listen to live music, etc. and restaurants with outside areas for kids to play. SoCo especially is full of young families and kids and it doesn't surprise me at all that existing restaurants are failing. We have plenty of places for weekend date nights but not much we would want to go to with our kids. I know food prices are going up and that's hard on the restaurant industry but somewhere with a cool vibe, simple menu with good food, and some space for families would be nice. We'd go all the time. Is this just me??
Crawdaddy
8:11a, 1/5/24
In reply to agmamaco09
I think that's what the ATTEMPT is with that greenspace behind Marfa TX Kitchen, Uncorked, etc. I wish it was bigger and there was maybe one more bar or coffee shop, but it's definitely a start!
maroon barchetta
8:21a, 1/5/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
I've seen kids playing back there when my wife and I ate on the back porch.
lawless89
8:24a, 1/5/24
Anyone know when Murdoch's is opening? Thought I saw a date for this month, but can't find info anywhere.
agmamaco09
9:26a, 1/5/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
I had high hopes for that area but it hasn't reached its potential after how many years? Agree that a coffee shop and another restaurant would be nice. Definitely would like to see that area used more! I also think new restaurants and businesses need to be a lot more active on social media to get the word out. I don't use Facebook but check instagram accounts for photos, updates, event announcements etc.
maroon barchetta
9:55a, 1/5/24
In reply to agmamaco09
We eat at Marfa regularly. We love it!
Tailgate88
9:59a, 1/5/24
In reply to agmamaco09
agmamaco09 said:

I had high hopes for that area but it hasn't reached its potential after how many years? Agree that a coffee shop and another restaurant would be nice. Definitely would like to see that area used more! I also think new restaurants and businesses need to be a lot more active on social media to get the word out. I don't use Facebook but check instagram accounts for photos, updates, event announcements etc.

The back porch of Uncorked also looks over that area.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 30
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings