Spring 2024 Storms
25,334 Views | 236 Replies
Eliminatus
1:32a, 4/28/24
In reply to CashinOut
CashinOut said:

Getting closer..

Anyone else staying awake for this line to come through?
I am definitely. I mean, I am a raging insomniac and will be up regardless but also a raging inclement weather nerd so that helps too.
TAMUallen
1:32a, 4/28/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Eliminatus said:

Not seeing the formation of any significant supercells forming before the main QLCS, which lowers the chances of tornados on the ground. Most of what we saw in OK just now was from those supercells forming and pushing before the line. I just watched the one lil flair up around Denton potentially die out on NWS radar and don't think the conditions are right to sustain those kind of offshoots. Which is good news for us as those can get real bad, real fast. Just have to deal with the main line from what I can tell right now with free radar. So not betting the farm on that either.

I am still new-ish to this area and it does seem this system is moving a lot slower than what I am used to so we might get soaked for a bit.

This one is just so slow moving but I do agree. Things aren't looking very frightening, as of now.
gabehcoud
1:33a, 4/28/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Just finished the Stars OT win and can't sleep anyway !
TAMUallen
1:35a, 4/28/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Eliminatus said:

CashinOut said:

Getting closer..

I am definitely. I mean, I am a raging insomniac and will be up regardless but also a raging inclement weather nerd so that helps too.

Weather nerd discussion you likely know of but if not then enjoy

https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=123958&start=860
TAMUallen
1:36a, 4/28/24
In reply to CashinOut
CashinOut said:

Getting closer..

Staying up just to make sure nothing gets bad
Eliminatus
1:45a, 4/28/24
In reply to TAMUallen
TAMUallen said:

Huge fan of that site. Pure lurker though, don't even have an account set up. I'd spend way too much time there otherwise and question my life decisions more than usual (wanted to do weather professionally since a lil kid).

Speaking of metro super cells, the '95 Mayfest one was what got me fascinated by bad weather in the first place. I was a terrified 9 year kid glued to the window watching everything get smashed apart around us in a ****ty little trailer rocking off its foundations just northwest of Fort Worth. A year later I watched a gas station get shredded by a tornado while sitting on my bike a block away in NM. Between those two been hooked ever since!

Also, If anyone else loves wind maps, highly recommend this one. I always have a window of it up with any kind of weather going on. Not too much gleanable data really but just beautiful anyways, especially hurricanes. Resolution scales with zoom. Does currents and waves as well.

https://earth.nullschool.net/
TAMUallen
1:54a, 4/28/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Eliminatus said:

TAMUallen said:

Huge fan of that site. Pure lurker though, don't even have an account set up. I'd spend way too much time there otherwise and question my life decisions more than usual (wanted to do weather professionally since a lil kid).

Speaking of metro super cells, the '95 Mayfest one was what got me fascinated by bad weather in the first place. I was a terrified 9 year kid glued to the window watching everything get smashed apart around us in a ****ty little trailer rocking off its foundations just northwest of Fort Worth. A year later I watched a gas station get shredded by a tornado while sitting on my bike a block away in NM. Between those two been hooked ever since!

Wild times! I remember being a little kid... maybe 6 or younger when a tornado warning was issued and we were all in our safe area. Now of course my dad goes to the back door to look out, like men typically do, and I ran behind him looking up. All I remember from that was crazy rotation above us but no tornado yet touching down and more importantly how he yelled at me so loud and hard to get back inside (with some other words mixed in too) that he sounded like some hell spawn. Didn't do that one again ha
CashinOut
2:04a, 4/28/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Lived on the coast growing up, been in FtW for the past 10 years..still have never seen a tornado in person. ::knock on wood::

Part of me wants to storm chase just to see on (in the day time hours)
Eliminatus
2:12a, 4/28/24

Quote:

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Tornado Watch Number 157
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
100 AM CDT Sun Apr 28 2024

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of
North and central Texas

* Effective this Sunday morning from 100 AM until 700 AM CDT.

* Primary threats include...
A couple tornadoes possible
Scattered damaging wind gusts to 70 mph likely
Scattered large hail events to 1 inch in diameter possible

SUMMARY...A squall line will continue to move eastward through the
early morning hours with the potential to produce occasional
damaging winds of 60-70 mph and isolated large hail to 1 inch
diameter. A couple of tornadoes may also occur with embedded
circulations, or with isolated cells merging into the line.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 60 statute miles
east and west of a line from 30 miles east northeast of Sherman TX
to 55 miles west of Temple TX. For a complete depiction of the watch
see the associated watch outline update (WOUS64 KWNS WOU7).
Info on that tornado watch btw for those curious.

This thing is just crawling along...
Eliminatus
2:18a, 4/28/24
In reply to CashinOut
CashinOut said:

Lived on the coast growing up, been in FtW for the past 10 years..still have never seen a tornado in person. ::knock on wood::

Part of me wants to storm chase just to see on (in the day time hours)
There are very, very few things that have ever left me in actual stunned awe. Tornado is top two for sure. The raw power of nature condensed to a tiny (relatively) cone of destruction is wild and one of those "you have to see it in person to understand" things and in my case, leaves an everlasting mark. I turned down an expense paid summer of storm chasing in '16 from some contacts I had because my dumb ass was convinced I needed to do some summer classes. Ended up changing majors and nullifying those classes anyways. Hate myself so much for that. I would have just been a backup driver at most but still regret that missed opportunity so much.
TAMUallen
2:34a, 4/28/24
Luckily, not even a severe thunderstorm warning as it get closer to the metroplex (knock on wood)
Eliminatus
2:35a, 4/28/24
In reply to TAMUallen
TAMUallen said:

Luckily, not even a severe thunderstorm warning as it get closer to the metroplex (knock on wood)
Accuweather map projecting a marked degradation of intensity as it passes with the center of Dallas. If that holds, my far east Dallas experience is going to be quite different than my far west Dallas and Fort Worth people here. Seems typical tbh.
TAMUallen
2:39a, 4/28/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Eliminatus said:

TAMUallen said:

Accuweather map projecting a marked degradation of intensity as it passes with the center of Dallas. If that holds, my far east Dallas experience is going to be quite different than my far west Dallas and Fort Worth people here. Seems typical tbh.

Sorry, my fault, I should have watered the new sod earlier and it would have lived up to being severe
Van Buren Boy
3:20a, 4/28/24
Heavy rain just rolled into Flower Mound.
CashinOut
3:25a, 4/28/24
In reply to Van Buren Boy
Same here in west Arlington. About to get the front edge of it
TAMUallen
3:27a, 4/28/24
Nothing much happening, just some heavy rain and wind pushing it down in sheets. Not even much lightning or thunder. I'm guessing flooding is going to be a big problem in the metroplex
Eliminatus
3:34a, 4/28/24
In reply to TAMUallen
TAMUallen said:

Nothing much happening, just some heavy rain and wind pushing it down in sheets. Not even much lightning or thunder. I'm guessing flooding is going to be a big problem in the metroplex
Not even a slightest breath of wind over here in east McKinney yet. It's so still outside.
TAMUallen
3:38a, 4/28/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Eliminatus said:

TAMUallen said:

Not even a slightest breath of wind over here in east McKinney yet. It's so still outside.

You'll have it in 5 to 10 mins. I'm closer to DFW airport

I don't know if the first rain and wind was just too thick and too loud to see/hear the lightning and thunder but it's rumbling now!
wangus12
3:40a, 4/28/24
In reply to TAMUallen
Hitting in NE McKinney now
Eliminatus
3:40a, 4/28/24
In reply to TAMUallen
TAMUallen said:

Eliminatus said:

TAMUallen said:

You'll have it in 5 to 10 mins. I'm closer to DFW airport

I don't know if the first rain and wind was just to thick and too loud to see/hear the lightning and thunder but it's rumbling now!
Yup, getting some wind now and the first distant rumblings of thunder about 5 seconds ago. That degradation got pushed to as the squall line starts exiting Dallas county so may be lively for me too after all.
Spaceship
6:33a, 4/28/24
How much rain did y'all get? My weather app says 1.84" in Flower Mound but it rained really hard for 2 hours…that seems low.
FTAG 2000
7:21a, 4/28/24
In reply to FTAG 2000
FTAG 2000 said:

Nothing during the day. This is going to be one of those annoying and loud 3-5 AM severe squall lines rolling through with high winds, hail. The ones that wake up all the pets and kids and keep them up until the sun comes up and ruins your morning.
FTAG 2000
7:22a, 4/28/24
In reply to Spaceship
Spaceship said:

How much rain did y'all get? My weather app says 1.84" in Flower Mound but it rained really hard for 2 hours…that seems low.

2.7 in prosper.
beatlesphan
7:23a, 4/28/24
2.16" in Farmers Branch. Kids slept through it
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mosdefn14
7:54a, 4/28/24
3.17" SW FW
aggiesherpa
8:52a, 4/28/24
Looks like it came hard and heavy (that's what she said...) My water leak detector hasn't gone off so hoping everything is good with our house when we get back to town....
AgsWin2011
12:41p, 4/28/24
In reply to Wheatables02
Wheatables02 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Nothing during the day. This is going to be one of those annoying and loud 3-5 AM severe squall lines rolling through with high winds, hail. The ones that wake up all the pets and kids and keep them up until the sun comes up and ruins your morning.

Not to mention not knowing to prepare outside vehicle for hail or not

Not to mention I've got a ten am flight out of LUV tomorrow and I've flown 3 times for my job in 17 years…

Yup you guys were right with this one. Woke me up around 2:45 and I couldn't go back to sleep. And I had my motorcycle skills test this morning. Happy I passed but even happier to veg out and nap the rest of the day.
Decay
1:30p, 4/28/24
Storms at 3am and then church and Sunday school and now the grocery store

I'm ready for a nap
chick79
1:49p, 4/28/24
Another 3" in East Richardson last night. Lakes are nice and full before the dog days of summer get here.
Absolute
1:49p, 4/28/24
Just shy of 4 inches in north Dallas/west Richardson
Aggie1944s Kid
2:05p, 4/28/24
Tornado hit my sister's place in Marietta. Lost the house and some livestock. Her and bro-in-law are unharmed thankfully.
AgsWin2011
2:43p, 4/28/24
In reply to Aggie1944s Kid
Aggie1944s Kid said:

Tornado hit my sister's place in Marietta. Lost the house and some livestock. Her and bro-in-law are unharmed thankfully.

Wow! Glad they're ok!
drewser95
3:25p, 4/28/24
In reply to Aggie1944s Kid
Sorry to hear that, but glad they're OK.

I remember seeing this Dollar Tree distribution center when heading up to Lake Murray a couple of times last summer:

Wheatables02
8:31p, 4/28/24
In reply to AgsWin2011
AgsWin2011 said:

Wheatables02 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Not to mention not knowing to prepare outside vehicle for hail or not

Not to mention I've got a ten am flight out of LUV tomorrow and I've flown 3 times for my job in 17 years…

Yup you guys were right with this one. Woke me up around 2:45 and I couldn't go back to sleep. And I had my motorcycle skills test this morning. Happy I passed but even happier to veg out and nap the rest of the day.

Yep tried to go to bed at midnight…ended up being 1 because couldn't sleep as it moved in just to be woken at 3 am. Got up at 720 but only managed 5 hours of actual sleep on my garmin.
TequilaMockingbird
10:46p, 4/29/24
What's y'alls opinion of the forecast for Thursday-Friday? I was thinking about attending an event in Dallas which includes outdoor performances, but I'm seeing this-

Quote:

THURSDAY- Thunderstorms likely in the morning. Then a chance of scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Potential for severe thunderstorms. High 78F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

THURSDAY NIGHT- Scattered thunderstorms in the evening, then mainly cloudy overnight with thunderstorms likely. Low 68F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

FRIDAY NIGHT- Scattered thunderstorms. Low 67F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
I'm coming from 5 hours away, and I hate driving in the rain. Not sure I should waste the trip.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 7
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings