Metroplex
Sponsored by

Spring 2024 Storms

23,794 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 25 min ago by Absolute
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12
AG
FTAG 2000
AG
beatlesphan said:

FTAG, how does one check on the status of "the cap"?

Good question.

The National Weather Service will periodically post that info with Skew-T graphs, or a lot of times just put out an update that says it's capped or not on Facebook or X.

It's tough to find without hunting sometimes though.

Some of the good and informative mets on facebook and X will share it more readily than the NWS, in my experience.

Following guys like POW Ponder, Evan Andrews, and Steve McCauley should get you good info and filter out a lot of the noise in the DFW tv market.

Just a quick update on this afternoon - the stuff north of us is putting down golf to tennis ball size hail.

Storm by Mineral Wells is the one to watch for the metro. That, and any other storms that form in its vicinity or out ahead of it.

FTAG 2000
AG
It looks like the storms to the north have fleshed out an outflow boundary that is racing south. This seems to be pulling the western storms more south - southeast.

Those cells like they will impact the west - southwest - south areas of Ft. Worth and areas to the south (Waxahachie, Hillsboro, etc.) and miss Dallas metro proper completely.

ftworthag02
AG
yup, looks like its going to skirt us
Decay
AG
Wild stuff. We were staring down the barrel of that gun here in Wise county.
FTAG 2000
AG
Yeah that outflow boundary did dfw and all our insurance premiums a solid.
ChoppinDs40
AG
About to fire up the sprinklers.
FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

Another round is firing up around Denton and heading this way.

Don't think it'll be severe but might get a soaker out of it.

752bro4
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

ChoppinDs40
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

Toooo latttee
Eliminatus
AG
Well, it got cloudy here for a bit in McKinney. So that's something I guess.
TheCurl84
AG
Well this is the third consecutive "major storm alert" that didn't even produce a drop of rain for me. And I get it. That happens. But what amazes me is the dramatic forecast changes with two hours. Earlier today we were gonna get blasted between 2-7pm. Then at 2pm it said significant thunderstorms from 4-6pm. Then at 4 it said thunderstorms coming between 6-8. And now at 6:30, the forecast calls for cloudy skies.

FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

Toooo latttee

lol. Good. That wimpy little two minute shower about 15 minutes ago is all we are getting in Prosper.

They just had baseball size hail on edges of Hillsboro. That storm was headed straight for a run through FTW and Dallas along i20 before that outflow boundary sent it south.
FTAG 2000
AG
Texas State - San Marcos fixing to take a direct hit from a tornado. Hoping that's not on the ground.
Absolute
AG
TheCurl84 said:

Well this is the third consecutive "major storm alert" that didn't even produce a drop of rain for me. And I get it. That happens. But what amazes me is the dramatic forecast changes with two hours. Earlier today we were gonna get blasted between 2-7pm. Then at 2pm it said significant thunderstorms from 4-6pm. Then at 4 it said thunderstorms coming between 6-8. And now at 6:30, the forecast calls for cloudy skies.

Understand the science and variables. Wosh they would stop going so full Armageddon every single time there is the slightest chance. At least until they see real signatures. Personally I have started to just ignore the warnings/watches. Whether it is because they are covering too large an area or just craving ratings, they are wrong too often.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.