*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,122 Views | 1699 Replies
62strat
2:40p, 12/6/11
man a russian river dinner would be awesome. Didn't think they had any concern of us over in Texas.. how you hookin that up?
BSD
3:33p, 12/6/11
Sorry to disappoint guys, but this is a small dinner for about 10 people to which Jetch will be invited. We'll be drinking beers that ive brought back or had shipped from Cal. We'll be sure to post notes though!

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 12/6/2011 3:34p).]
jetch17
3:45p, 12/6/11
62strat
4:29p, 12/6/11
oh hah.. you mean like at your house?

Got me all excited.. seems all these houston beer dinners are the same ol same.. no label, st. arnold, etc.. we need some pacific beer dinners!

BSD
4:41p, 12/6/11
Now now, strat, don't get all red face. We can plan another RR dinner. I'll just need to go back to Cal to get more beer!
62strat
5:00p, 12/6/11
I'll be in denver in march, so no doubt I'll be grabbing a few pliny's for my 5 day stay

Looks like it's all over
http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/pages/accounts/colorado.html
BSD
5:03p, 12/6/11
The thing about the account list is that not every location gets Pliny. If you time it right, however, you may catch a Younger keg at a bar.
jetch17
7:47p, 12/6/11
just right on a chilly night

Vernada
5:52p, 12/7/11
Did I miss this in a previous post?

quote:
Karbach Brewing Co., Houston’s newest craft brewery, releases its newest beer on Thursday, Dec. 8, with a party at the Flying Saucer.  Brewmaster Eric Warner, left, will be on hand.

Like the Rodeo Clown imperial IPA before it, Warner’s latest big beer is named as a tribute to people who perform dangerous jobs.

The potent (to the tune of 9.5 percent ABV)  Hellfighter Imperial Porter pays tribute to the legendary Red Adair and others who risk their lives fighting oil-well blazes.

From the brewery:

It’s a job.  And a hazardous one at that. Benefits, you ask.  I hardly think so.

From the depths of the earth leap flames of destruction.  When time is of the essence, the Hellfighter boldly steps in the line of danger.  Whether or not he’s insane is not important now.  It’s with intensity and aggression that the Hellfighter taunts the blaze of almost certain doom.

Our Imperial Porter is much the same.  At 9.5% ABV and black as oil, Hellfighter Imperial Porter, with roasted coffee and chocolate malt characteristics, finishes what it started.  This explosion of flavors will extinguish even a Texas-sized penchant for boldness.  Intense and maybe a little insane, drink carefully but drink often.  Blaze on!
jetch17
6:14p, 12/7/11
Sweet, saw on FB Rockwells and BRC got kegs of it today ... Need to give it a whirl

[This message has been edited by Jetch17 (edited 12/7/2011 6:16p).]
jetch17
6:17p, 12/7/11
Anyone wanna hit BRC, Petrol or Rockwell for lunch Saturday?
ChipFTAC01
6:32p, 12/7/11
Had Karbach's Christmas offering last night. thought it was mighty tasty.
Vernada
6:33p, 12/7/11
Where did you have it? I thought it was out everywhere.
Vernada
6:34p, 12/7/11
quote:
Anyone wanna hit BRC, Petrol or Rockwell for lunch Saturday?

I can probably do Rockwell.

The others are less budget friendly for this poor.
jetch17
6:59p, 12/7/11
I would be on board for that, my girls will be out farting around so I'm flyin solo for a bit Saturday
BSD
7:07p, 12/7/11
If you hit BRC, be sure to try the Breckinridge Brewery Summer Cab Ride. That was my favorite beer at the dinner last night.
jetch17
7:26p, 12/7/11
how was the dinner?
BSD
7:49p, 12/7/11
It would have been better if I hadn't suddenly come down with a cold. My taste buds were a little off but I was able to enjoy it. The Summer Cab Ride was awesome, it reminded me a lot of the RRBC sour ales. Too bad they don't bottle them! The keg they have will probably be the only keg in Houston for the foreseeable future. This beer and the Victory Helios was served with the first course of a scallop soup.

Next up was lamb ribs with the Victory Otto and Breck Christmas Ale. The Otto was smokey and paired nicely with the ribs. Te Christmas Ale was good, but it didn't have the spices (none added intentionally) so it didn't live up to my idea of a Christmas Ale.

Next up was the sirloin and blue cheese scalloped potatoes paired with IIPAs. The Breck was the 471 and I can't remember that Victory ale's name. Not my favorites IPAs in the world but drinkable.

Dessert was a warm brownie with Stouts, whose names also escape me (damn cold meds mixed with alcohol). The Breck Stout was my favorite of the two.

Before I left, I had another Summer Cab Ride as a night cap. Now of I could just shake this cold before I get to Vegas tomorrow night!
ChipFTAC01
10:05p, 12/7/11
quote:
Where did you have it? I thought it was out everywhere.

I had it at Celtic Gardens last night, but I noticed tonight that it was on tap at Anvil.
K Bo
4:07p, 12/8/11
grabbed some 2011 Abyss today.
strohag
4:10p, 12/8/11
Breckenridge Brewery puts out some great beer
King Arthur
9:10p, 12/8/11
This was pretty good

Green Fairy
1:21p, 12/9/11
Anyone tried Rogue John John brown ale? I just picked up a bottle at Specs.
wessimo
2:52p, 12/9/11
Breckenridge vanilla Porter is awful.
Green Fairy
3:02p, 12/9/11
quote:
Breckenridge vanilla Porter is awful.

Hmmm....I like the vanilla porter...I almost picked up a sixer at specs when I was there earlier.
jh0400
3:44p, 12/9/11
I picked up some Spaten Dunkel at Spec's yesterday. I was hoping to find Franziskaner Dunkel in a six pack, but that was not to be had.
Green Fairy
7:54p, 12/9/11
quote:
Anyone tried Rogue John John brown ale? I just picked up a bottle at Specs.

Damn, I got a bad bottle earlier....it tasted like vinegar brewed with anus.
Agmechanic
8:22p, 12/9/11
Vanilla porter + blue bell dutch chocolate ice cream = crazy good IMO.
sts7049
9:49p, 12/10/11
tonight's choice:

jetch17
2:21p, 12/12/11
per Karbachs FB today "brewing smoked Doppelbock"
jetch17
2:22p, 12/12/11
No Label also releasing "Elda M Milk Stout" this week
Vernada
2:32p, 12/12/11
I wonder if Karbach is planning on keeping all these beers in regular rotation? They are adding new brews so quickly it's hard to see how they can keep up... esp if the lager is in regular production since it demands more tank time.
62strat
2:52p, 12/12/11
From what I gathered from talking to him, he was pretty damn confident in the potential of a brewery in town, so I'm sure he has plans to expand quickly..

An average brewery has 5-6+ regulars, 4 seasonals, and one offs.. so he's still got plenty room to grown in that regard.
gordo97
4:29p, 12/12/11
Anyone tried Rogue John John brown ale?

yes....... i thought it was pretty disappointing cause i love pretty much anything rogue releases
gordo97
4:30p, 12/12/11
No Label also releasing "Elda M Milk Stout" this week

i had it at the brewery on saturday..... very good!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 23 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings