*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,654 Views | 1699 Replies
bmc13
3:08p, 2/5/12
quote:
Fire Eagle IPA. tasted like weeds. no body to the beer at all.

i have to agree
spadilly
3:17p, 2/5/12
Random thoughts:

NB Dig is a pretty solid brew. Not the best APA out there, but still good enough for me to buy again.

Karbach -
-The brewery tour was great. Reminded me of Saint A back before there was a cult following. I imagine it's only a matter of time before Karbach is way too crowded to enjoy.
-Weisse Versa Wheat is too sweet for me to really enjoy. Every other beer they have is really good.
Their Rodeo Clown is absolute nails. They did a fantastic job on it.
Vernada
7:37p, 2/5/12
Where can I score some of that 'top shelf' Bud Platinum!!?
Green Fairy
7:43p, 2/5/12
I have it on good authority I could pee in a bottle and it would be better than Bud platinum.
jetch17
7:43p, 2/5/12
West rd kroger, saw it and lol'd today
Vernada
7:53p, 2/5/12
Sent Petrol a FB message. I'll let y'all know when they expect to have some.
Jock 07
7:58p, 2/5/12
Actually tried some of that platinum crap the other night here @ a bar; it tastes wierd
jetch17
8:05p, 2/5/12
quote:
Sent Petrol a FB message. I'll let y'all know when they expect to have some.
Green Fairy
8:24p, 2/5/12
Had a sample of No label's Pale Horse Ale today at whole foods in bellaire....wasn't too bad, but didn't sway me to filling the growler. I was really hoping they'd have some hell fighter on tap, but no dice.
jetch17
8:54p, 2/5/12
not bad at all

Green Fairy
9:11p, 2/5/12
Damn, I'm down to the dregs of the cold bottles in the fridge....2 old brooklyn summer ales and a left hand good juju. May be a sign to call it a night.

[This message has been edited by Green fairy (edited 2/5/2012 9:12p).]
62strat
8:32a, 2/6/12
Man saturday I had 4 shiner wild hares, 3 blue moon 'full moons', and 2 mendocino barley wines., then to top it of, only got ~6 hours of sleep that night. Was not up to par on sunday.
spadilly
12:50p, 2/7/12
Since it was on sale, I picked up some Green Flash Hop Head Red at HEB today.

Very excited to try it out this week.
GoAgs92
7:18p, 2/7/12
I took a swig of my friends BL platinum on super sunday, I think they just changed the name of bud light ice
Linz02Ag
7:36p, 2/7/12
Got a growler of Rodeo Clown at Montrose Whole Foods today.
Had Shiner Wild Hare all day Sunday, it's pretty fantastic
Vernada
7:58p, 2/7/12
BL Platinum?

AgDrumma07
10:23p, 2/7/12
New Belgium Dig
gordo97
10:27p, 2/7/12
Wild hare was so-so..... Not bad but not great either
txag007
8:38a, 2/8/12
Saint Arnolds SUCKS DONKEY BALLS! There I said it.
Head Ninja In Charge
8:45a, 2/8/12
Agree with gordo about Wild Hare. Nothing special.
Linz02Ag
8:56a, 2/8/12
As mentioned earlier, Wild Hare a subtle pale ale meant to appeal to the masses. It's not in your face or overdone.Good thing I liked it because picked up a 12 pack before ever trying it due to the price $8.19 for a 6er vs. $11.97 for a 12er at HEB
Head Ninja In Charge
9:06a, 2/8/12
I understand what it is and who it's marketed to. I just decided to try some after the good reviews given by a lot of the posters on this thread. I don't see how it stood out from any of Shiner's other beers. I like their other brews, but I don't see how this one was so much better. That's all.
62strat
9:38a, 2/8/12
quote:
I don't see how it stood out from any of Shiner's other beers.
um, it stood out because it's their first ale?

It's not 'so much better' than their other beers. It's a pale ale, it gets compared to other pale ales. In america, a growing trend is more hops, more ibus, more alcohol. It's nice to see a nice mild offering of a pale ale. And coming in a few bucks cheaper than most pale ales, this is a great deal.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/8/2012 9:39a).]
GoAgs92
9:39a, 2/8/12
I think it's funny that entire categories had to be made up so mega breweries mass produced crap could win something and use it for advertising.

Best "American" Style Light Lager....ha.

here are the top winners from 2008...yum.

Gold: Old Milwaukee Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
Silver: Lone Star Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
Bronze: Natural Light, Anheuser-Busch Inc., St. Louis, MO
62strat
9:45a, 2/8/12
I don't think those categories were 'made up'. Not recently anyway. The BJCP has been around since early 80s. Lagers and lite lagers were certainly in there. In actuality, new categories have been made up over the last 3 decades to keep up with the new emerging styles put out by american craft breweries.
Jock 07
9:56a, 2/8/12
quote:
quote:
I don't see how it stood out from any of Shiner's other beers.

It's not 'so much better' than their other beers. It's a pale ale, it gets compared to other pale ales. In america, a growing trend is more hops, more ibus, more alcohol. It's nice to see a nice mild offering of a pale ale. And coming in a few bucks cheaper than most pale ales, this is a great deal.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/8/2012 9:39a).]

Do they not use ale yeast in their hefewiezen?
Head Ninja In Charge
10:04a, 2/8/12
quote:

Meh.
62strat
10:16a, 2/8/12
unsure. I just read that the wild hare is their first ale. It might mean pale ale, something virtually every brewery has.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/8/2012 10:36a).]
Green Fairy
6:11p, 2/8/12
Just cracked open a SuperCru from the Lips of Faith series. It definintely has the aroma of pears, and is slightly sweet from the pear juice. It's not bad, but I'd probably go with many other choices before picking it up again.
jh0400
9:13p, 2/8/12
I'm going to try and track down Bitter Belgian tomorrow? Does Whole Foods Bellaire have the beer bar? I haven't been in there in a while, and don't remember seeing it the last time I was..
jetch17
9:30p, 2/8/12
Petrol is advertising they will have it and fill growlers Thursday
rschoelman
8:06a, 2/9/12
quote:
Do they not use ale yeast in their hefewiezen?

quote:
unsure. I just read that the wild hare is their first ale. It might mean pale ale, something virtually every brewery has.

I believe they use a lager yeast for their hefe but it fell into the old TABC labeling law that Jester King killed, so they had to label it an ale.
Green Fairy
7:06p, 2/9/12
quote:
I'm going to try and track down Bitter Belgian tomorrow? Does Whole Foods Bellaire have the beer bar? I haven't been in there in a while, and don't remember seeing it the last time I was.

The Bellaire store does have a beer bar with about 6-7 beers on tap if I remember right. I just filled up the growler there this evening with Rodeo Clown. They had St Arnolds lawnmower, brown and elissa...Karbach rodeo clown and sympathy for the lager....leprechaun cider and No Label Pale Horse.

The guy working the counter today mentioned that he called Karbach about getting Hellfighter kegs, and they told him they were about 2 weeks from releasing a bourbon barrel aged beer. He wasn't sure of the style, but seemed to think it was an all new offering. He has 3 kegs headed his way for the store from what he says. Not sure if he's talking out his ass, but that's what he told me.

[This message has been edited by Green Fairy (edited 2/9/2012 7:10p).]
jh0400
4:19p, 2/10/12
I picked up a growler of Bitter Belgian earlier. I'm interested to see how it is.
jh0400
5:36p, 2/10/12
It's drinkable, but I doubt I'll make the effort to get more.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 31 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings