Houston
Sponsored by

Best seafood in HTown that isn't cajun?

8,343 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Agasaurus Tex
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bularry said:

schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

There is an awful lot of terrible sushi out there though. Maybe people are snake bit.
Replace sushi with literally any type of meal you can think of and the statement is still true.

I'll be honest, I don't think there is such a thing as good sushi. Not my thing at all, never will be. Just like raw oysters aren't something I'll ever enjoy.

I also think sushi, by in large, is one of those trendy things that people think they have to like because reasons, not because they actually like it. Saying they love sushi makes them more cosmopolitan and refined in their minds, kind of like craft beer dorks who geek out of IPA's.
sushi isn't trendy. It has been a part of diets around the world for literally centuries in some form or another.

I enjoy a lot of sushi, I like the flavor and texture. I don't eat it a lot because it can be expensive, but I really like it and I'm too old to give a **** about trendy.
It is absolutely trendy over here. Just because in Japan and whereever they have been eating it forever doesn't change that fact.

Sushi became some super "I must tell everybody I love sushi every chance I get" dish a handful of years ago, and that's when you saw all of the sushi joints pop up like weeds around town.
schmellba99
AG
Bill Clinternet said:

So do you like actual seafood or fried garbage?
If you think fried equates to garbage, you probably should just not post anymore.
94chem
Marauder Blue 6 said:

DiskoTroop said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

DiskoTroop said:

Had fish and chips again tonight at Kenny and Ziggy's. Chips are 6/10 but fish is awesome.
I know it may sound crazy but the fish & chips at Culver's is pretty good when you're back up on the Upper East Side.

Yep if I'm craving fish and chips but don't want to make the run for some of my favorite spots I can quell it there off Northpark.

What are your other spots?
The Chipper, apparently the only location left is Katy.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
bularry
schmellba99 said:

bularry said:

schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

There is an awful lot of terrible sushi out there though. Maybe people are snake bit.
Replace sushi with literally any type of meal you can think of and the statement is still true.

I'll be honest, I don't think there is such a thing as good sushi. Not my thing at all, never will be. Just like raw oysters aren't something I'll ever enjoy.

I also think sushi, by in large, is one of those trendy things that people think they have to like because reasons, not because they actually like it. Saying they love sushi makes them more cosmopolitan and refined in their minds, kind of like craft beer dorks who geek out of IPA's.
sushi isn't trendy. It has been a part of diets around the world for literally centuries in some form or another.

I enjoy a lot of sushi, I like the flavor and texture. I don't eat it a lot because it can be expensive, but I really like it and I'm too old to give a **** about trendy.
It is absolutely trendy over here. Just because in Japan and whereever they have been eating it forever doesn't change that fact.

Sushi became some super "I must tell everybody I love sushi every chance I get" dish a handful of years ago, and that's when you saw all of the sushi joints pop up like weeds around town.
well, true about the people with the 'i'm so cool, I eat sushi' vibe...

but in Htown sushi places aren't decreasing or going away, they are actually proliferating.
TarponChaser
schmellba99 said:

bularry said:

schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

If by a "handful" you mean at least 25 years ago, I guess you've got a point.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
TarponChaser said:

schmellba99 said:

bularry said:

schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

People were eating sushi long before social media.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Redfish Grill on 249 at Cypresswood does a damn fine job too.
This is one of my regular spots. Though they have occasionally, they rarely miss on their dishes.
7nine
DiskoTroop
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

This is one of my regular spots. Though they have occasionally, they rarely miss on their dishes.

Fair assessment… also, they have pretty not bad sushi if you're into that kind of trendy thing.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Place seems like a fusion of Japanese, Thai, and Cajun, if that's possible.

I'm a fan. Could expand their spirits list a bit. My only complaint.
DiskoTroop
Considering the viet immigration through New Orleans after the war, that's probably the more likely influence.
schmellba99
AG
bularry said:

schmellba99 said:

bularry said:

schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

well, true about the people with the 'i'm so cool, I eat sushi' vibe...

but in Htown sushi places aren't decreasing or going away, they are actually proliferating.
Who said they were decreasing or going away?
Texaggie7nine
The husband and wife owners are Chinese or Taiwanese I believe. Husband is the head cook.
7nine
Bill Clinternet
AG
schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

If you think fried equates to garbage, you probably should just not post anymore.

I don't think it does. I know it does. Fried shrimp/catfish etc is bubba food and isn't really seafood. It's garbage.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
TarponChaser
Bill Clinternet said:

schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

I don't think it does. I know it does. Fried shrimp/catfish etc is bubba food and isn't really seafood. It's garbage.

So does shrimp tempura count as "Bubba food?" It's a pretty classic Japanese version of fried shrimp.

What about fried Baja fish tacos? Does that not count? If it doesn't I've got to go tell some Mexican fishermen that it's only "Bubba food."

What about a fish that's gutted, scaled, and fried whole? Lots of folks through out Asia, Mexico/Latin America, and the Caribbean probably wouldn't consider it "Bubba food."
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Bill Clinternet said:

schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

Sounds like us "bubbas" need to just sit back and listen to this high and mighty food guru.

Or maybe he just needs to GTFO.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Some part of my brain still associates sushi with 80's yuppies. Could be imagining this, but I think the Whole Foods on Shepherd had a sushi bar to pair with their juice bar. At least, it should have.
chilidogfood
AG
Some really weird takes in this thread.

Why ya'll wanna go and poo poo on other people's food pref's.
schmellba99
AG
Bill Clinternet said:

schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

You must be so cosmopolitan and refined, everybody on this thread envies you and wishes they were you because of this.
HtownAg92
AG
Hang on, am I the first to say:

My Back Yard

bigjag19
AG
We've failed as a board.
Bill Clinternet
AG
schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

You must be so cosmopolitan and refined, everybody on this thread envies you and wishes they were you because of this.

Has nothing to do with being "refined". Fried( and breaded especially) garbage food has killed more Americans than all of the wars we have been in combined. Decision is based on data and facts, nothing more.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
Al Bula
AG
Have not seen such an enthralling argument for food since the El Tiempo filet fajitas wars.
AustinCountyAg
Al Bula said:

Have not seen such an enthralling argument for food since the El Tiempo filet fajitas wars.
with that being said I noticed last time I was at goode co kitchen and cantina in memorial they serve filet fajitas. How do they stack up against el tiempo? I have to say I was quite impressed with our meal at goode co that night. Margs and queso hit hard, and that damn campechana get me everytime.
DiskoTroop
Bill Clinternet said:

schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

schmellba99 said:

Bill Clinternet said:

Has nothing to do with being "refined". Fried( and breaded especially) garbage food has killed more Americans than all of the wars we have been in combined. Decision is based on data and facts, nothing more.

Pretty sure the science has shown properly fried food has no greater threat of heart disease or cholesterol spike than any other form. Improperly fried food does, and there's a lot of that out there, but you may be slightly off base in your assertion.
Texaggie7nine
Don't you know? Any food that you can't eat on a daily basis without negative health effects is GARBAGE!!!
7nine
cheeky
AG
TarponChaser said:

schmellba99 said:

Yeah, you can't throw a rock without hitting a sushi joint it seems.

I"m assuming the poster thinks a real sushi joint must be something like you'll find in Tokyo and anything else really doesn't count or something like that.

We are also Houston - almost all seafood in this region is either heavily influenced by Cajun, Creole, Tampico Mexican or old South style of cooking. I'm sure there are a handful of places that do northwest salmon on a crappy ass cedar plank crap or boiled walleye or whatever they eat up in the Great Lakes region, but by in large the cuisine around here is what it is because of the culture, location and the type of seafood we have locally versus what you'll find in other areas of the world. I mean, you don't go to the Pacific NW and find cajun or mexican style food either. At least not good cajun or mexican style food anyway.

Walleye is the most overrated fish ever.

It's solid but no better than crappie. And fishing for walleye is about the most boring thing ever. You generally slow-troll baits bumping off the bottom. They don't fight worth a damn. It's about like pulling up a branch. Just dead weight on the line- no runs, no jumps, and almost no pull.

On ultra-light tackle or fly gear crappie can be fun as hell. They'll hit violently and fight. It's only when your gear is too heavy that they're boring.
Except walleye generally come from pristine cool waters whereas your crappie are yanked out of the filth infused brown retention pools we call lakes in Texas. Clean water = better fish.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Ag_07 said:

With our proximity to the coast I think we're severely lacking on quality mid-high end range seafood options.

If you wanna slum it Gillhooley's in San Leon but if dirty nasty dive bars with bad as food isn't you're deal Pier 6 in San Leon is a good option.

Golhooley's is truly the best. No kids under 18 at all.
DiskoTroop
cheeky said:

TarponChaser said:

schmellba99 said:

Yeah, you can't throw a rock without hitting a sushi joint it seems.

I"m assuming the poster thinks a real sushi joint must be something like you'll find in Tokyo and anything else really doesn't count or something like that.

We are also Houston - almost all seafood in this region is either heavily influenced by Cajun, Creole, Tampico Mexican or old South style of cooking. I'm sure there are a handful of places that do northwest salmon on a crappy ass cedar plank crap or boiled walleye or whatever they eat up in the Great Lakes region, but by in large the cuisine around here is what it is because of the culture, location and the type of seafood we have locally versus what you'll find in other areas of the world. I mean, you don't go to the Pacific NW and find cajun or mexican style food either. At least not good cajun or mexican style food anyway.

Walleye is the most overrated fish ever.

It's solid but no better than crappie. And fishing for walleye is about the most boring thing ever. You generally slow-troll baits bumping off the bottom. They don't fight worth a damn. It's about like pulling up a branch. Just dead weight on the line- no runs, no jumps, and almost no pull.

On ultra-light tackle or fly gear crappie can be fun as hell. They'll hit violently and fight. It's only when your gear is too heavy that they're boring.
Except walleye generally come from pristine cool waters whereas your crappie are yanked out of the filth infused brown retention pools we call lakes in Texas. Clean water = better fish.

I guess except in the case of walleye vs crappie?
MAROON
AG
Went to Pappas Lil Oyster bar last night. Very good food and atmosphere. They did a really nice job salvaging that location
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

No kids under 18 at all.
Seems like a good business model in 2024 with prices high as a cat's back. Will pay extra to not to listen to some ****bird kids. Every restaurant seems understaffed as it is.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Been several years since I've been to Gilhooleys..Last time I went I ordered raw oysters. After 45 minutes the order finally arrived and the platter of oysters was served with them sitting in water (all the ice had melted) and there were many tiny worms swimming in the water. Was one of my favorite places but haven't been back since.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.