Saw my first Cyber Truck
15,396 Views | 141 Replies
Teslag
10:08a, 2/28/24
In reply to EMY92
EMY92 said:

Teslag said:

I still don't get the point of an EV truck if you want a truck to do truck things.
What percentage of trucks do truck things?

My truck rarely does.

I would agree with this. The vast majority of truck owners would have all their vehicle needs covered by the cybertruck.

Though they'll never admit it. Most people never buy for need. Look at how many people choose an SUV for their wife instead of a minivan. Or how many men drive a 3/4 truck despite never hauling or towing anything.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
10:15a, 2/28/24
In reply to Complete Idiot
Complete Idiot said:

Length
F-150 Lightning - 231.7"
Cybertruck - 223.7"

Height
F-150 Lightning - 77.2"
Cybertruck - 70.5"

Width
F-150 Lightning - 83.3"
Cybertruck - 86.6"

The height difference is a bit surprising and I assume linked to the "small" perceptions. A sedan can be around 57" high

Saw one at work garage, it's crazy short

Maybe with a small lift and bigger tires, but I'm assuming that will kill any range
Complete Idiot
10:25a, 2/28/24
It has an adjustable air or hydraulic suspension, so you can change vehicle height. I wasn't able to find min/max height and I'm not sure what the 70" number I found represents but I'm assuming "normal" height.

I miss my land cruiser's hydraulic suspension. Did I ever practically need it? Only once, when I had to put it into the Low setting to fit in a San Antonio parking garage. But it was cool to play with at stop lights or drive throughs.
Whitetail
3:14p, 2/28/24
In reply to dodger02
Something contaminated the surface of that pic. I don't think that is normal.
bedofbrass33
4:51p, 2/28/24
In reply to Tim Weaver
Tim Weaver said:

…but wondered why a truck needs to be fast.

Standby asking my buddy that had to have the new Ford high output 6.7 as soon as it was released so he can commute in from the burbs.
aggieforester05
5:18p, 2/28/24
Why does a truck need to be slow? You don't have to use all of the skinny pedal on a fast truck. Alternatively a slow truck is limited to slow acceleration without modifications. I've never understood the desire to underpower vehicles just because they are large.

I had a 700 hp 4x4 crew cab F150 and it was great. The power was never a detriment to usability or driveability other than smoking the tires any time floored it below 50 mph. You may not want that in a vehicle for your kid or grandma, but as a personal vehicle more power is more fun.
Jack Boyett
5:44p, 2/28/24
The reason would be cost. If your truck is just a tool to do a job, why spend more than necessary? 700hp does not come cheap.
AustinCountyAg
1:16p, 2/29/24
In reply to dodger02
dodger02 said:

Not sure if serious.

It probably will. But who wants to pull out the Brasso and orbital polisher every couple of weeks to keep it from looking like dog *****
I'm guessing in the summertime you can rub some EVOO on its hood and grill some burgers?
Medaggie
7:30a, 3/1/24
I have a reservation on the CT and will buy it when my turn comes.

I have seen them multiple times and sometimes it looks good, others not so good. The stainless look is alittle much, but I will likely wrap it to a dark mat color that looks great.

I am not buying to tow or do "truck" things on a daily basis, but its always a good option to have. I have never bought a truck before b/c I don't need "truck" things, but nothing was available like the Tech/torque/speed.

Why do people spend so much when they don't "need" speed "truck" things, its the same as why do people buy 4K+sqft homes, boats, 1jK Iphones etc. People have money, can afford it, and don't mind spending 20K to get speed/cutting edge tech.
Medaggie
7:39a, 3/1/24
Eventhough the CT dimensions are smaller, their bed size is larger than the lightening and in line with typical ICE trucks.
Corps_Ag12
8:03a, 3/1/24
Saw one in Plano the other day and it's still ugly
Complete Idiot
8:09a, 3/1/24
In reply to Medaggie
Medaggie said:

Eventhough the CT dimensions are smaller, their bed size is larger than the lightening and in line with typical ICE trucks.
Interesting - I'll add stats below. I was only looking up and posting those prior dimensions due to the people commenting the Cybertruck looked small. I do know the Cybertruck dimensions shrank from the 2019 concept version, but it's still pretty big other than the height.

F-150 Lightning (from a Ford site):
67.1 inches long. 50.6 inches wide. 21.4 inches high. Cargo box volume of 52.8 cubic feet.

Cybertruck (forum post from someone with a Cybertruck):
66" at the green line (think large boxes space)

72.75" at the blue line (bed floor - lumber / drywall) 51" between the wheelwells

dodger02
8:32a, 3/1/24
In reply to Medaggie
Medaggie said:

People have money, can afford it, and don't mind spending 20K to get speed/cutting edge tech.
The Fife
8:58a, 3/1/24
72"... lumber, drywall, and plywood I buy is 8' long so it looks like someone would have to drive with the tailgate down if they want to have everything lay flat.

I sure like having a longbed for big box supply runs because that stuff isn't going anywhere with the tailgate up.
Furlock Bones
9:27a, 3/1/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

EMY92 said:

Teslag said:

I still don't get the point of an EV truck if you want a truck to do truck things.
What percentage of trucks do truck things?

My truck rarely does.

I would agree with this. The vast majority of truck owners would have all their vehicle needs covered by the cybertruck.

Though they'll never admit it. Most people never buy for need. Look at how many people choose an SUV for their wife instead of a minivan. Or how many men drive a 3/4 truck despite never hauling or towing anything.
too be fair, wives choose the SUVs over minivans because "they don't want a mom-mobile". SUVs are mom-mobiles. but, you know women and logic.
Furlock Bones
9:28a, 3/1/24
In reply to Whitetail
Whitetail said:

Something contaminated the surface of that pic. I don't think that is normal.
it's not just one report. there's lots of photos everywhere showing surface rust on CTs. Sounds like Tesla went with a cheaper ss.
Medaggie
11:47a, 3/1/24
Some material's guy on youtube said its not rust. The material Tesla used is cutting edge and not cheap by any means.
tk for tu juan
12:03p, 3/1/24
dodger02
12:17p, 3/1/24
Instead of spray detailed wax, can you just use canola oil?
LPHA
12:20p, 3/1/24
In reply to dodger02
How long until someone has a fully seasoned cybertruck?
agz win
1:19p, 3/1/24
Kim fits in hers. She's 5'2".

bam02
2:39p, 3/1/24
In reply to agz win
So she also fits in the bed… Niiice.
Medaggie
3:03p, 3/1/24
As someone who has owned a Tesla for 3 yrs, its essentially what I expected. Watching the video, the only big issue I saw was the sharp door edged, but I am sure they will sell something to cover it.

Every other negative is what Tesla is. It is not the most quiet. It is not the most opulent. It does have creaks when you drive. But you buy a tesla because of what it does for the price. I think the dual motor will be the best seller and what I would want.
MEENag
1:06p, 3/2/24
I read this thread while pooping this morning and had yet to see a Cybertruck in the wild. I went to the skatepark and look what shows up:

Jock 07
8:37a, 3/3/24
Saw my first one today

Corps_Ag12
9:10a, 3/3/24
I've seen 3 this week already in DFW. One in Plano that was wrapped on Thursday, a stock one headed west on 30 yesterday, and one in Arlington after the Aggie baseball game ended.
The Lost
7:09p, 3/3/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

how many men drive a 3/4 truck despite never hauling or towing anything.

Not arguing the point, but having lived in multiple states, it's hilarious how something like this exist. The 3/4 is definitely a Texas thing, but the Colorado Subaru and other things like that are hilarious.
dummble
8:43a, 3/4/24
In reply to The Lost
What's the "Colorado Subaru"?
bam02
9:41a, 3/4/24
In reply to dummble
Subaru is kind of known as the unofficial state vehicle of CO. Just extremely popular there.
drumboy
1:10p, 3/4/24
Saw a knockoff CyberTruck today.
ReloadAg
1:34p, 3/4/24
There's a Tesla delivery center near my house in Austin and they have some overflow inventory stored in the church parking lot around the corner so my youngest and I stopped to check out the CT over the weekend.
tk for tu juan
4:07p, 3/4/24
agz win
2:23p, 3/5/24
NOT the Valet.

Furlock Bones
3:36p, 3/5/24

Gotta wrap it and avoid that rust. This makes it look even more like a Lego toy.
bam02
5:02p, 3/5/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
I think that looks pretty cool.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >