Anybody else do this?
1,856 Views | 17 Replies
Independence H-D
6:25p, 4/5/24
Every. Single. Time.
L8HIT
6:30p, 4/5/24
Does Google Maps estimate the time based on following the posted speed limits or what? I know it adjusts for accidents and such.
USAFAg
7:37p, 4/5/24
In reply to Independence H-D
Yep. That's a game I like to play. I also play it against Waze

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
Furlock Bones
7:57p, 4/5/24
In reply to L8HIT
L8HIT said:

Does Google Maps estimate the time based on following the posted speed limits or what? I know it adjusts for accidents and such.

Speed limits, average driving speeds, etc. They have all of the data.
maroon barchetta
6:53a, 4/6/24
I don't wear a hat, so no.
Matsui
8:04a, 4/6/24
In reply to Independence H-D
Yes I try to beat it
Charismatic Megafauna
8:34a, 4/6/24
I heard Google is going to start giving achievement awards for beating their times
Independence H-D
8:42a, 4/6/24
In reply to Charismatic Megafauna
I don't do it for awards and accolades. I do it for the challenge alone.
maroon barchetta
8:45a, 4/6/24
Google promises to send one of these to every winner.

The Pilot
9:20a, 4/6/24
10 years ago yes, now those ETAs are pretty accurate unless you completely deviate from the recommended route or there's an incident
Pahdz
9:55a, 4/6/24
In reply to The Pilot
The recommended route isn't always the fastest
combat wombat™
10:02a, 4/11/24
In reply to Pahdz
Pahdz said:

The recommended route isn't always the fastest
Yep, they have started throwing the "green" route out as recommended... and it's often more time-consuming.
FightinTAC08
10:11a, 4/11/24
its hard to beat waze's ETA, but i find myself beating google's ETA all the time.
NETAG
10:34a, 4/11/24
On a trip, my kids know to look at the map eta when they get in the car to leave. They have bought in and now I don't have to say anything. We can pull off for gas and my 11 year old will say..."Alright, pee quick, we have to be back on the road in 5 minutes to stay ahead of schedule". My wife always says something like "Schedule? We do not have a schedule". To which he replies." The clock mom, the clock". I just smile silently and gladly receive her look what you did stare.
Pahdz
10:48a, 4/11/24
Anyone else still like to use paper maps? I'm a huge map nerd and love just looking at my route on a map spread out.
OnlyForNow
2:31p, 4/11/24
In reply to Pahdz
As long as the maps get rolled and not folded... "There's a big crease right through Wichita!"
USAFAg
2:41p, 4/11/24
In reply to Pahdz
Pahdz said:

Anyone else still like to use paper maps? I'm a huge map nerd and love just looking at my route on a map spread out.
Used to make strip maps for easy access and navigating for travelling in the days before all the electronic aids.

Still keep a truckers map atlas in my trunk "just in case" now.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
Greener Acres
3:21p, 4/11/24
In reply to Pahdz
Pahdz said:

Not me, but I used to have the bit Texas Atlas between my seat and the center console. I hated it when you had to turn not just one page, but a few, and the road you were looking at wasn't coming out of the top of the page, in the same area it went off the bottom of the page I was looking at.

But man that thing showed me every little road in the state and we used a lot of them in college.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings