***Running Thread***
31,581 Views | 356 Replies
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
2:47p, 2/18/24
In reply to n_dagley
It really was and congrats, man!

Also, thanks, Ragoo!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
n_dagley
6:25p, 2/18/24
In reply to Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Nice work Doc! What a difference one day makes compared to yesterdays wind. That would've been rough!
howapi
12:27p, 3/2/24
Finished Woodlands Marathon in 3:49:56. A 7 minute PR over BCS 3 months ago, I'll take it. Next up Chicago!
94chem
1:04p, 3/2/24
In reply to howapi
howapi said:

Finished Woodlands Marathon in 3:49:56. A 7 minute PR over BCS 3 months ago, I'll take it. Next up Chicago!

Nice. I broke 4 hours for the first time at The Woodlands last year. Sort of retired from marathons after 7 of them. But when I'm doing mile repeats on a day like today, the long run doesn't seem so awful.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
johnson2012
10:39a, 3/6/24
X post from classified. Free BOB located in Round Rock for any of you running parents.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3448058/replies/67096859#67096859
wangus12
12:42p, 3/28/24
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

Ugh Rejected. Now 0/19 in lottery draws for the World Majors. 0/4 Chicago, 0/4 Berlin, 0/3 London, 0/8 NYC.
Make it 0/9 on the NYC Lottery
The Pilot
1:18p, 3/28/24
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

wangus12 said:

Ugh Rejected. Now 0/19 in lottery draws for the World Majors. 0/4 Chicago, 0/4 Berlin, 0/3 London, 0/8 NYC.
Make it 0/9 on the NYC Lottery

You are due. You are bound to get one.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
1:58p, 3/28/24
In reply to The Pilot
Last years acceptance rate was 2.8% for the lottery. There are people who will likely go 20+ years without ever getting accepted. This year will make me 0/1
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Pilot
2:01p, 3/28/24
One of my runners got in to NYC, I think his first time applying.

As an aside NYC does have a time qualifying entry, it's harder than Boston though.
wangus12
2:32p, 3/28/24
Its changed drastically since I started. It used to be 20-30%. Numbers I saw today said 6600 selected out of 165k. Coupled with 14k charity entries. I'd love to see the full breakdown. I think they make a killing off of the 9+1 NYRR races and off tour operators. Those both bring in more money than just the regular entry fee
htxag09
4:02p, 3/28/24
Saw this thread bumped so figured I'd ask here....

Anyone have a Stryd?

I'm on week 3 of a build plan and in the middle of the week my zones just dropped. Like crazy low, for example the top end of my zone 1 went from 210ish watts on Tuesday to 175 watts Wednesday...not sure it's possible to run at that low.

I don't really know how to check the critical power history to see if that changed. But I can see my W/kg over time and that number is going up. And I confirmed my weight didn't get changed so not sure how that went up but my zones went down....
Swarely
2:30p, 4/5/24

Much like the start of Aggie football season, I'm ready to get hurt again.

0/3 general lottery
0/2 Charity entries
0/1 WMM lottery
AggieOO
3:10p, 4/5/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

Saw this thread bumped so figured I'd ask here....

Anyone have a Stryd?

I'm on week 3 of a build plan and in the middle of the week my zones just dropped. Like crazy low, for example the top end of my zone 1 went from 210ish watts on Tuesday to 175 watts Wednesday...not sure it's possible to run at that low.

I don't really know how to check the critical power history to see if that changed. But I can see my W/kg over time and that number is going up. And I confirmed my weight didn't get changed so not sure how that went up but my zones went down....
i have one of the older models that doesn't measure wind resistance, but haven't used it in a couple years. It was great for road training, but next to impossible to use on the trail. Plus, it wasn't waterproof.

I saw weird things happen sometimes when i was using my stryd. If you question the tech at all, the stryd developers get crazy defensive and blame anything and everything other than their technology, even when the evidence was pretty conclusive that something was legitimately off. Their response as a company rubbed me the wrong way.

Hopefully the above is no longer the case.
htxag09
7:31a, 4/6/24
In reply to AggieOO
Well the issue has been "resolved" but no real support from them. I posted the question on the Facebook group and it got denied by the admins. Your "not the techs fault" comment could definitely be at play here.

So I contacted stryd and their response was just that my critical power was too low. Which, was correct. My program schedule last week had a test day which reset my critical power and brought my zones up. But doesn't really explain my zones dropping even though my Watts / weight were going up. Guess that could be explained partly by my new issue….

Anyone know how for in advance the stryd syncs workouts to your watch and if you can just resync them? My CP and zones reset Tuesday. Haven't done anything since. But just went on a run and my watch had my old workout and old zones in it for the run….
94chem
8:18a, 4/12/24
As a scientist and a runner who has benefited tremendously from treadmill interval and hill work, I love the middle finger Valby is giving to all the dinosaur coaches who continue to break their athletes with excessive mileage.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a60458436/parker-valby-cross-training-routine/
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
The Pilot
12:48p, 4/12/24
In reply to 94chem
All of our reps in the Olympics for the marathon are high-mileage athletes so I'm not sure that's quite the flex you think it is.
AggieOO
1:47p, 4/12/24
moral of the story is: different volumes work for different people.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
2:58p, 4/12/24
In reply to 94chem
I'd love to see a study protocolizing Valby's training vs standard training for long distance running athletes.

I'd imagine lower rates of injury with Valby's training method, but I'm interested if the average athlete is able to see similar race results utilizing the ARC trainer more frequently as opposed to just standard running. That would definitely be a game changer if that were found to be true.
94chem
5:01p, 4/12/24
In reply to The Pilot
The Pilot said:

All of our reps in the Olympics for the marathon are high-mileage athletes so I'm not sure that's quite the flex you think it is.

So what. Nolan Ryan could throw 200 pitches. The dinosaurs just can't help themselves. They pretend to marvel, but they always, every time, counter with a "yeah, but." It's almost like it's a new scientific paradigm...but what would I know about that...
94chem,
94chem
5:05p, 4/12/24
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I'd love to see a study protocolizing Valby's training vs standard training for long distance running athletes.

I'd imagine lower rates of injury with Valby's training method, but I'm interested if the average athlete is able to see similar race results utilizing the ARC trainer more frequently as opposed to just standard running. That would definitely be a game changer if that were found to be true.

I dropped 13 seconds off my mile with treadmill training. Stopped running 10+ junk miles per week. Trained around 25 miles at most. 6:07 to 5:54 at age 50. Yeah, purely anecdotal, but each machine is different. And when the 2 greatest HS runners in history have donenit a different way, we need not be so dismissive.
94chem,
94chem
5:06p, 4/12/24
And I'm pretty sure Valby has ADHD and is legally loaded up on amphetamines, but all those kids are legally doping somehow, at least if they're anything like swimmers.
94chem,
ptothemo
5:46p, 4/12/24
In reply to 94chem
1) An ARC trainer is not the same as a treadmill in so many ways, yet they are seemingly being presented that way
2) Moving the goalposts by talking about another sport - conveniently one with a hot debate right now about usage, arm care, and mechanics and how they contribute to injury
3) Loose correlation/causation on running on a treadmill and achieving a PR
4) Diminishing Valby's achievements by overgeneralizing ADHD treatment - unsubstantiated ADHD at that
5) Attempting to use a very loosely related sport as evidence to comment on athlete performance in the sport at hand

I can't tell if you are trolling or just shooting from the hip here. Or maybe I just don't understand science.
94chem
6:47p, 4/12/24
In reply to ptothemo
ptothemo said:

1) An ARC trainer is not the same as a treadmill in so many ways, yet they are seemingly being presented that way
2) Moving the goalposts by talking about another sport - conveniently one with a hot debate right now about usage, arm care, and mechanics and how they contribute to injury
3) Loose correlation/causation on running on a treadmill and achieving a PR
4) Diminishing Valby's achievements by overgeneralizing ADHD treatment - unsubstantiated ADHD at that
5) Attempting to use a very loosely related sport as evidence to comment on athlete performance in the sport at hand

I can't tell if you are trolling or just shooting from the hip here. Or maybe I just don't understand science.

1) said my results were anecdotal
2) pointing out that every sport has unicorns. Sometimes their prescient (look up that word, it's a good one); sometimes not.
3) see 1
4) not diminishing; pre-empting others who will inevitably do so. Being great makes you a target.
5) see 2
94chem,
CollinAB
7:21a, 4/14/24
In reply to 94chem
Nolan Ryan is a unicorn for being able to pitch at that volume, and Valby is a unicorn for training in this way. All you've done is come to the standard conclusion that athletes tend to have a limit to the volume they can sustain and it's different for everyone. That's a long way away from "minimal running volume/ample cross-training is a new paradigm shift."
wangus12
10:27a, 4/15/24
Anyone else feel like the Boston marathon coverage this year has been awful.
AggieOO
12:32p, 4/15/24
i didn't even bother watching this year. not sure why, but just wasn't excited about any of the storylines/runners.
Sooner Born
7:07p, 4/15/24
Boston Mini Race Report!

Finally went sub-3 at Boston. After six months off running last year due to a stress fracture (April - Oct), I had a really good build and then strung together a perfect race. Some highlights:
- I built a plan that included splitting the half at 1:29:30 and did it to the second
- Mile 26 was my fastest mile of the day
- Ran a :27 positive split - pretty much perfect for Boston
- Ran with Meb for a few miles and got knuckles from him!
- Was about 10 minutes slower than my qualifying time but finished about 200 spots better than my bib number. It was a war zone in the last five miles.

wangus12
8:44p, 4/15/24
In reply to Sooner Born
Meb is awesome. I ran the Las Vegas Half with him about 10 years ago. So much fun to talk to
aggiespartan
1:32p, 4/16/24
For those nearby, it looks like Shreveport is going to have their first marathon this year in November. Log Jammer Marathon
94chem
9:54p, 4/17/24
In reply to Sooner Born
Awesome. Can't imagine what running a 6:50 pace for that many miles must be like. I "retired" after getting my sub-4 at The Woodlands last year. Thinking a sub-70 400 and a sub 2:40 800 are my next "fun" goals.
94chem,
94chem
9:58p, 4/17/24
In reply to CollinAB
CollinAB said:

Nolan Ryan is a unicorn for being able to pitch at that volume, and Valby is a unicorn for training in this way. All you've done is come to the standard conclusion that athletes tend to have a limit to the volume they can sustain and it's different for everyone. That's a long way away from "minimal running volume/ample cross-training is a new paradigm shift."

Maybe coaches should spend more time figuring out what works for each athlete, and stop breaking so many of their runners by forcing everybody into the same plan, and claiming victory when a few stars emerge from the wreckage. None of us wore seat belts as kids, and we all survived, amirite? Of course, that's a bit of self-selecting testimonies, isn't it?
94chem,
Sweep4-2
10:21p, 4/17/24
In reply to 94chem
I'm running the Silverton Alpine 50K in July for my first ultra (ridiculous choice, I know). But after that, I'm going to focus on running a faster 10K.

I just never focus enough on one type of event to get faster......I like the 10K distance, but I also love trail running, trying out new distances, pacing for friends, etc.

But my main goals for the year are A) Finish the Silverton 50K and B) Run a 43:XX at the BCS Oktoberfest which is about a minute faster than what I ran this year.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
The Pilot
10:36p, 4/17/24
In reply to Sooner Born
Awesome race! I'll never forget my first Boston in 2014 when Meb won. We somehow got word he had won when I was around mile 20, the crowd started chanting USA.
CollinAB
11:49a, 4/18/24
In reply to Sweep4-2
Sweep4-2 said:

I'm running the Silverton Alpine 50K in July for my first ultra (ridiculous choice, I know).
I ran the marathon there a few years back. I think it's a great choice. The altitude is an obvious thing to factor in, but the trail itself is extremely non-technical and runnable the entire way. Runnable enough that the 50k winner the year I was there wore Alphaflys. The scenery is obviously incredible. And it's an Aravaipa race so the organization, aid stations, and volunteers are top notch.
Sweep4-2
9:24p, 4/18/24
In reply to CollinAB
Thanks for the encouragement, this is definitely a stretch goal for me. And it's good to hear that I'm not crazy (many of my friends think I am).

In terms of shoes, I'll probably run in a pair of light trail shoes (Hoka Challenger 7's). I run regularly in a pair of Speedgoat 5's and an old pair of Peregrine 12's....but the Challengers feel comfortable longer than the others.

I live/run in Houston, and I know that air over California Pass is going to feel really, really thin.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 9 of 11
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings