YouTube history channel

3,801 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by nortex97
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is a nice one (this particular one is about a unit in the battle of the bulge). They do a nice job with very modern visuals/context, imho.

Bregxit
AG
If you haven't watched The Operations Room and it's sister channel The Intel Room check those out also. He's been doing a Battle of the Bulge series plus the Pacific Island campaign. Great channel.
Stupe
S
Well....that's not a link to click if you have something to do that day.

Talk about a rabbit hole.
nortex97
AG
Sorry about that. Here's a bit…funnier historian video.

This one is very dry. Mark Felton is great but not a lot of footage, more of an audio podcast on a subject that has been of interest to me (Japanese brutality in WW2):

nortex97
AG
nortex97
AG
Very long, but great series on Byzantium.

AggieZUUL
AG
nortex97 said:

Here is a nice one (this particular one is about a unit in the battle of the bulge). They do a nice job with very modern visuals/context, imho.

Notable soldier in this video is fellow Texas Aggie, CPL Samuel Jenkins who was awarded a Bronze Star with Valor device for Heroism (along with 8 others).

Here is a 90 minute interview with Jenkins: https://www.ww2online.org/view/samuel-jenkins

At 13:30, he talks about how some of his platoon members tried to shoot down V-1 rockets heading for England with their M1 rifles. Someone actually shot one down and it veered off and nearly killed their own men.

Sotero-Judges
Interesting channel/video.

JABQ04
AG
James Holland and comedian Al Murray do a great WW2 history podcast called "We Have Ways of Making you Talk".

Al Murray **NSFW**

nortex97
AG
A good one, focused on Roman stuff;

nortex97
AG
Hippy-looking guy does a pretty good job here, imho.

one safe place
nortex97, thanks for posting that. The guy mentions the Menin Gate and it shows the daily ceremony conducted there. Everyone with any interest in the Great War should visit the Menin Gate and the In Flanders Field Museum. It was, and is, hard to wrap my head around 89,000 dead with no known grave.

I did not visit a cemetery with 8 to 16 in each grave nor any mass cemetery, did visit one with two per grave.

One thing he mentioned that I had sort of not thought about since I was over there, and that is his comment about seeing so many children on school trips and how the folks take it seriously. I found that to be the case. We were there during August, so there were no Belgium kids or French kids on school trips, but you would see parents out on day trips with their kids. We did run into a bunch of school kids from Australia on a tour. I'd guess those kids were 14 to 16, and were in something similar to an ROTC program back home.

The monuments the French have put up over there are amazing. I am considering taking another tour over there this year. This video might well push me over the edge to do so, lol.
nortex97
AG
Thx. It is great that they do take it seriously, I agree. Something that maybe the 'nearness' helped with over some time.

Here is a completely separate/cool video of a quite modernized P-51D that is amusing as well;

I mainly just love the sound and how small the plane is from the cockpit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.