My Book is on Amazon!

7,175 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Antoninus
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As you may or may not know, my new book, The Lost War for Texas, is going to be published by A&M University Press, with shipment date in February.

The book, which is not even printed yet, is already available for pre-order on Amazon.com. Here:
The Lost War for Texas: Mexican Rebels, American Burrites, and the Texas Revolution of 1811 (Vistas, Sponsored by Texas A&M University-San Antonio)

Here's the writeup (which is the one A&M Press is using in its promotional publications):

One of the most important themes in US history is the series of struggles that transformed the Southwest from a Spanish to an American possession: the Texas Revolution of 1836 and the MexicanAmerican War of 1845. But what if historians have been overlooking a key event that led to these warsanother war almost entirely unknownthat took place on what is now US soil and dramatically shaped the development of the American Southwest to this day? The true story of this war, presented in The Lost War for Texas: Mexican Rebels, American Burrites, and the Texas Revolution of 1811, is only now being revealed by never-before-published research, which will challenge paradigms and reshape much of what we know about United States, Texas, and even Mexican history.
In the early 1800s, the impact of the Napoleonic Wars rippled across the Atlantic. Within weeks of the United States's declaration of war on England in 1812, hundreds of western militia forces rallied to a flag and marched boldly to warbut not for the United States. They instead invaded the province of Texas to make common cause with Mexican rebels who had launched their struggle against the Spanish monarchy the year before. The resulting war changed the Southwest forever.
Author James Aalan Bernsen places a spotlight on division and separatism at this pivotal moment of the "second revolution" of the United States. The Lost War for Texas, by revealing the forgotten world of 18111812 will profoundly change how we understand the birth of the American Southwest.

Texas Yarddog
AG
I am looking forward to your book, Aalan.

Will you have the book available through your website or will it be solely on Amazon?
Jabin
And hopefully there will be a paperback or Kindle version available for significantly less than $75!

Congrats, though. I look forward to reading it.
p_bubel
Is Amazon the best place to order for you, or will they take more of a "cut" than other avenues once printed?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Author is of questionable character.... specifically for the forums he frequents....
aalan94
AG
No, I won't sell separately on my website, and I get the same royalty on Amazon. The only way I get more is those I sell directly at book signings. I'll do those when the time is right. The way this works also is that I don't get any royalties until a certain number are sold, so I don't want to discourage anyone from buying on Amazon now, because the sooner people start buying, the sooner I see something.

This has never been about the money anyway. I figure I'd have to sell about 2,000 copies just to recoup what I've spent over the years on travel, etc. Then if you add all the time involved, I doubt I'll ever recoup it. It's about getting the story out there and making it relevant.

As a metaphor for why this story is so crucial for Texas history, think of the 1836 Revolution as World War II and this revolution as World War I. Imagine if historians had been teaching WWII and the rise of the Nazis for 100 years in ignorance of the existance of World War I. When you have hacks out there talking about what the Alamo represented, or whatever, and they don't even know this context, there is a lot they are leaving off the table. The 1811 revolution was no flash-in-the-pan event with no bearing on later Texas history, it's a vital part of the story. I want people to see that, whether they buy my book or check it out of the library. But I prefer them to buy it.
aalan94
AG
As for the cost ($75), that's actually tracking most inflation. Blame the politicians, not the publishers.
Jabin
aalan94 said:

As for the cost ($75), that's actually tracking most inflation. Blame the politicians, not the publishers.
Hah! I'll blame the authors.

Any thoughts about releasing a less expensive paperback and/or Kindle version?
spud1910
AG
Congrats! Can't wait to see it.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Congratulations! I can only imagine the tremendous amount of time and effort that went into turning this dream into reality. Well done.
Thanks and gig'em
aalan94
AG
From one Aggie Journalist to another, yes, it took an insane amount of time.

Before this, I imagined that an author does his research, sits down, writes the book, then makes little edits here and there. I couldn't imagine actually re-reading every line and editing the entire thing.

In fact, that's what I did. I did 8 full drafts (with significant changes/reordering of sections, rewrites, etc.) and about 4-5 more "tweak" drafts. I probably have read my own book 15 times. The first draft I wrote outside of the country, with spotty internet, using mostly research I had done prior to my departure. In doing that draft, I identified lots of huge gaps. Then I hit the archives heavily before doing the 2nd draft. 3 and 4 were significant cleanups. Then I started getting feedback from the publisher, including my peer reviews. Then there was a long delay when the book was approved, but before they started doing actual edits, when I just cleaned up writing, etc. Then the editor came back with her edits and that was the actual easiest draft. Since I had edited so assiduously, that was far less painful than I had anticipated.

Bottom line, I started working on this (as my masters thesis) in 2016, and am now sitting here doing the index (the last thing other than picking a cover photo) and it's 2023. Seven years in all. If you had told me that at the beginning, I never would have done this. But it has been a labor of love despite all that.
Texas Yarddog
AG
Glad you stuck with it, Aalan. It's a story that gets glossed over and needs to be told. Looking forward to it.

So much is out there on the Alamo and the 1835 Revolution without much mention of this one.
Johnny Park!
Congratulations! Pre-ordered and looking forward to adding this to my library.
p_bubel
Ordered
Buck Compton
AG
Ordered and looking forward to reading
Jaydoug
AG
Ordered 4. One for me and gifts
DevilYack
AG
I'm in.
aalan94
AG
For anyone who has not pre-ordered yet, you can get a discount if you go through A&M press. Here's the link:

https://www.tamupress.com/book/9781648431739/the-lost-war-for-texas/
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Ordered 4. One for me and gifts
Wow. That's humbling. Really appreciate it. I don't think you guys will be disappointed. I'm not an arrogant person by nature, but I'm really confident of the quality of this book. I've gotten phenomenal feedback from some professional historians who I think are great writers.

I'm going to do book signings at A&M and around the state when the time is right. Typically they require you to buy a book at the signing, but if you give me the Texags history nod and wink, I'll sign books you bring in.
Jabin
aalan94 said:

For anyone who has not pre-ordered yet, you can get a discount if you go through A&M press. Here's the link:

https://www.tamupress.com/book/9781648431739/the-lost-war-for-texas/
I appear to be missing something. It shows that it's $75 there, just like Amazon.
aalan94
AG
So I think you have to go through the checkout and at the end, there's a place for a code. Use the code LOSTWAR and it should give you the discount, or so I'm told.
spud1910
AG
aalan94 said:

So I think you have to go through the checkout and at the end, there's a place for a code. Use the code LOSTWAR and it should give you the discount, or so I'm told.
That code worked for me. Thanks!
Jabin
Me too. Thanks!
aalan94
AG
Great coverage in the San Antonio Express News over the weekend. [As a former journalist, I respect copyright, so I'm only pasting the relevant parts, not the whole article.]

New clues are being unearthed on the deadliest military clash in Texas history

The epic Battle of Medina, 210 years ago, is getting some serious research including into its location.

Scott Huddleston, Staff writer
Aug. 16, 2023
Updated: Aug. 16, 2023 4:16 p.m.

The deadliest military clash in Texas history, fought 210 years ago, has long been something of a mystery not least because of its forgotten location.

But researchers believe they're close to discovering where the 1813 Battle of Medina happened and are better understanding its role in shaping the path toward Texas independence first from Spain, then Mexico.

The bloody conflict ended a short-lived republic that had broken from Spain four months earlier with an emerald green flag as its symbol.

Local Tejanos, Anglos and Indigenous rebels made up the Republican Army of the North and defeated Spanish royalists in the Battle of Rosillo on March 29, 1813. They executed the governor and 13 other prisoners and returned to the village, carrying their heads as trophies.

[Note: They didn't do that. The royalists were killed a couple of days later, quietly, by a small group of people seeking revenge]

In "The Lost War for Texas," a book set for release in February by Texas A&M University Press, the historian and author James Bernsen aims to shed new light on the conflict, tracing the revolution to the 1811 Casas Revolt in San Antonio. He said it's the "first truly scholarly work on this subject since the 1930s."

Most of what Texans know about the state's origin centers on the 1836 siege and battle of the Alamo. But Bernsen, who spent five years on the research, said the desire to fight for freedom and liberty in Texas "actually began with the Tejanos" the region's population of mixed Indigenous and Spanish lineage.

"Most people kind of, unfortunately, put Tejanos in the back seat of this discussion. But they're the ones who initiate the struggle," he said.

The book will challenge long-held beliefs that the 1813 rebellion was backed by the U.S. government through the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition. It will explore connections to Aaron Burr, who was the U.S. vice president during his famed 1804 duel with Alexander Hamilton and is believed to have been part of a later plot to form an independent republic in parts of Texas and Louisiana.

"I talk about who really did organize it and the connection with the Aaron Burr conspiracy, which I think is really going to change a lot of the scholarship," Bernsen said.

Bernsen said he believes somebody will "find a good cache of artifacts somewhere" as clues emerge.

"It's important to keep the search up," he said. "If we can get a better idea of the battlefield site, this story needs to be more elevated in the consciousness of the people of San Antonio and all of Texas."
Agthatbuilds
Can you tell more about what happened in nacogdoches associated with this conflict?
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Can you tell more about what happened in nacogdoches associated with this conflict?
Certainly. Nacogdoches actually has a starring role. Of course, it's important to realize it's a far different Nacogdoches than what later occurred.

Nacogdoches from the 1790s-1810 was surprisingly diverse. The census only lists heads of households, but that alone puts the foreigners in town at over 10 percent of the population, and with families, probably in the 25 percent range. While the majority of the population was Hispanic, there were lots of Frenchmen, Anglo-Americans, even some Italians and Germans. Almost all of these people had spilled over into Texas from Louisiana after Spain took control of it after the 7 Years War.

Most people are completely unaware that there were Anglo-Americans living in Texas when the "father of Texas" Stephen F. Austin was 7 years old and the "Mother of Texas" Jane Long wasn't even born. But this is true. They show up in the census under Hispanicized names like "Guillermo Suel" (William Sewell). Now, it's really important not to try to interpret these as Americans trying to subvert Spain and move Texas towards Annexation, or any of those 1830s dogmas. We're talking about Anglo-Americans settling in Texas even before the US Constitution was signed in a couple of cases. Their ethnicity is Anglo-American, but their identity is far more vague. Many are possibly former British loyalists. We know this is common in West Florida (Alabama and Mississippi coastal regions), and these filtered into Louisiana, and after mixing there, may have been among those who moved to Texas. So while this is an ethnic Anglo-American population, it's a huge stretch to presume loyalty to the United States.

The Frenchmen are a little different, and the Spanish archival documents show this. While they treat the Anglo-Americans as generally good Spanish subjects, and not even a threat when they are not fully Catholic, the Spanish are implicitly fearful of the French, who they believe still retain French loyalty. The difference is the Anglos in their midst mostly voluntarily expatriated to Spanish soil, while the French were forced to become Spaniards after 1760.

Now, what unites all people in Nacogdoches, (Spanish, American, French, etc.) is the desire for trade. Even when Spain owned both Louisiana and Texas, trade between the two was forbidden. So the people of Nacogdoches cannot trade with Natchitoches, LA, which is only 70-80 miles away. Instead, they have to route all their trade through Veracruz, which is 1,100 miles away. Goods are prohibitively expensive. When they have a good year of crops, they can't sell the excess, and when they have a bad year, they starve.

The Spanish settlers of Nacogdoches are mostly the descendants of the old settlers of Los Adayes, Texas (now in Louisiana), and they specifically wanted to stay on the frontier to trade with Louisiana. Spanish laws preventing this are anathema to them and the people of Nacogdoches are inherently rebellious. Think of all the thing people say bad about the war on drugs and how it supposedly can't be stopped because the smuggling will get through to the willing customers, etc. Except now take out drugs and this is a ban on EVERYTHING. No clothes, no pots and pans, no food, nothing. Oh, did I mention that there's an exception to the licensed trading firm that brings in Indian goods for trade. So while the people of Nacogdoches are walking around wearing rags because they can't buy cloth, the government monopoly trading firm brings in cloth and hands it to the Indians FOR FREE to buy them off so they won't attack Spain. If I was a Spaniard, I'd be pretty riled up about that.

And while it's ALWAYS bad, and always a sore spot, the Louisiana Purchase is like putting kerosene on the flames. That's because Louisiana suddenly starts booming at the same time that Texas is declining, from 1803-1808.

Then 1808 happens. Napoleon basically takes over Spain and puts the entire empire in a tailspin. Spain's colonies are now in an upside-down world in which "loyalty" to the crown means submitting to a foreign power (Napoleon's brother Joseph is placed on the throne), whereas to be a true and honorable Spaniard, you have to assert semi-autonomous stature and place yourself (ostensibly) in the camp of the imprisoned Ferdinand VII and the Cadiz Junta. Thus, revolutions in many Spanish provinces are initially pro-monarchy, but ultimately, as the occupation of Spain continues, this evolves more and more into independence.

Mexico is for the king, but vary wary of any independence moves. Under the strict rule of Commandant General of the Internal Provinces (everything from California to Texas) Nemesio Salcedo and his cowed nephew Manuel Salcedo, the governor of Texas, the impulse is to tighten the reigns to keep out foreign influence. So Nacogodches, which has an addiction to smuggling (from necessity) becomes a battleground.

In my research, I came across an obscure event that is actually hugely important, the breakup of a smuggling ring in 1808 that was run entirely by foreign residents of Spanish East Texas. These men are smuggling Mustangs out of Texas and using them to purchase goods in Louisiana for smuggling back into Texas. Basically, the disruption of this ring is the first in a string of dominoes that begins to fall that leads to the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition of 1812. There are other intermediary dominoes, not the smallest of which is the decision by the elder Salcedo in 1810 to expell all foreigners. This has a huge influence, because even the native Tejanos benefit from smuggling and the small wealth it provides, but the smugglers are almost all former residents of Louisiana who have contacts in that neighboring province. It also creates a cadre of Texas exiles in Louisiana with economic and personal vendettas against the Spanish royal leadership.

I wrote an entire article on the smuggling ring and it's role. It was published in the East Texas Historical Journal last year and can be found here: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ethj/vol60/iss1/1/

Anyway, the smugglers' friends establish a group of banditti in the neutral ground who prey on Spanish caravans in retaliation for their imprisonment, and these banditti are attractive to American filibusters and Mexican rebels alike.

After the Casas Revolt in San Antonio in 1811, which was a short, abortive attempt to bring Texas into the Mexican Revolutionary struggle, there is a conspiracy of sorts that evolves in Nacogdoches to align with American filibuster elements. It's hard to tell what's true, but we do know that a scheming American filibuster organizer contacts the Nacogdoches Parish Priest to discuss plans for an American invasion of Texas in support of Mexican rebels. Either the priest is in league with the American in a deliberate attempt to facilitate the invasion (as some people testify to Spanish officials) or he is being solicited against his will (he seems to make this assertion after he gets caught). Either way, we have a proto-filibuster, the genesis of the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition, a year before either Gutierrez or Magee get involved.

The point I make in the book is that all this stuff is far more organic than has ever been understood. There is a push/pull relationship with American Burrites pushing and Mexican rebels pulling, which creates this symbiotic moment for American aid for the rebellion. And because it's 1812 (contemporaneous with the war) and not 1820, this is not Southern expansionism, not even American Manifest Destiny. This is an event occurring amid a population not yet cemented in its American loyalty. It's a far more complex story in which the players are certainly considering a number of different motivations, of which joining Mexico as Mexicans or starting a new Burrite republic are as likely - I would say even more likely - than asserting American claims over Texas. Americans are expanding, but the American government is not. And most of these Americans don't want government for any purpose other than fighting off Indians.

Long story short, there is a really complex connection between Nacogdoches and the launching of this first revolution. After it starts, the action moves South and Nacogdoches grows more quiet, as a kind of hub for the rebel supply lines. Now, after the Battle of Medina, when the rebels are defeated, Nacogdoches is nearly entirely emptied out. Only a half dozen loyal Spanish families remain. Even the Spanish (now basically Mexican) rebels have fled to Louisiana. Some come back after an amnesty is proclaimed, but some never come back. And some settle in other parts of Texas because Nacogdoches is essentially unlivable now.

What all this means is that when Stephen F. Austin comes to Texas in 1821 or 22, he calls East Texas a "howling wilderness." He's under the impression that it's essentially vacant land. But it wasn't always that way. That's a legacy of the war, but he doesn't know it. Neither, of course, do most of the later Anglo settlers, who stake out claims to this "empty" land and then start running into conflict with the Tejanos who have older claims to the land (but poor proof of them, since the Spanish kept few such records). It's kind of like an Israel/Palestinian conflict, with the Texians as the Palestinians, saying "Hey, we came here and there was nothing, so it's ours" while the Tejanos are saying, "yeah, well that was my granddad's farm before he was executed for being a traitor to Spain."

A big theme of my book is how all of these threads of early Texas history tie this first conflict to the second one and the republic. I like to say that my war is the World War I of Texas History and the 1836 Revolution is the World War II. You cannot really fully understand the second war without knowing about the first.

A long way of saying that everybody in Nacogdoches who cares about history should read my book.
CC09LawAg
Just ordered one for my dad.
Agthatbuilds
I'll definitely be ordering.

Did you find anything regarding the execution of 300 or so people in nac during this Medina conflict?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

A long way of saying that everybody in Nacogdoches who cares about history should read my book.

I'll have to wait and see if Archie McDonald recommends it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
What do you think of the New History of Old San Antonio (and later Old Texas) podcast? Looks like you both cover a lot of the same ground.
aalan94
AG
I have only heard a little of it. I'm just not into podcasts, though I would like to be. A. I don't do music on my phone. That's what CDs are for. So I only listen to them when I'm at my computer, which means I'm usually doing something else. But there are a few good ones out there that maybe I could download and listen to while I do yard work.
chickencoupe16
AG
aalan94 said:

But there are a few good ones out there that maybe I could download and listen to while I do yard work.

I look forward to mowing and weed eating even in the summer because I get to listen to podcasts.
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Did you find anything regarding the execution of 300 or so people in nac during this Medina conflict?
This didn't happen in Nacogdoches. Most of the executions took place in San Antonio and Trinidad. The latter, which was a town on the Trinity River (it was kind of near Madisonville), had dozens, maybe 100 or so executions there, but some of the people the Spanish caught there who were not killed at the site were marched back to San Antonio and killed there. If you heard of killings at Nacogdoches, it was probably a garbled version of this.

During the actual Battle of Medina, the Anglo-Americans suffered disproportionally on the battlefield, for a number of reasons, the main one being that they were all infantry, whereas a lot of the Tejanos were cavalry and could escape easier.

That being said, once the survivors got to San Antonio and started fleeing up the Camino Real, the situation was reversed. That's because the Tejanos had to stop in town, load up their families and flee that way, whereas the Anglo-Americans were almost all single men who were not encumbered. The Spanish chased them up the Camino Real and caught most of them at Trinidad. By that time, they were getting close to the US border and the Spanish evidently made the poltiical decision that killing Americans on the battlefield was defensible, but killing them close to the US border was dangerous, so they let the captured Anglos go and killed the Tejanos. Apparently, they hid this fact from the Anglos, who arrived in Louisiana and praised the Spanish commander Elizondo who had let them go, calling him noble. What they didn't know is after he let them go he was slaughtering his own countrymen.

There was almost no killing at all in Nacogdoches itself. The initial invasion took the town on August 11, 1812 almost without a shot, and after the republicans retreated to Nacogdoches, they only stayed briefly before crossing the border into Louisiana. By the time the Spanish arrived, the town was virtually deserted.

Agthatbuilds
aalan94 said:

Quote:

This didn't happen in Nacogdoches. Most of the executions took place in San Antonio and Trinidad. The latter, which was a town on the Trinity River (it was kind of near Madisonville), had dozens, maybe 100 or so executions there, but some of the people the Spanish caught there who were not killed at the site were marched back to San Antonio and killed there. If you heard of killings at Nacogdoches, it was probably a garbled version of this.

During the actual Battle of Medina, the Anglo-Americans suffered disproportionally on the battlefield, for a number of reasons, the main one being that they were all infantry, whereas a lot of the Tejanos were cavalry and could escape easier.

That being said, once the survivors got to San Antonio and started fleeing up the Camino Real, the situation was reversed. That's because the Tejanos had to stop in town, load up their families and flee that way, whereas the Anglo-Americans were almost all single men who were not encumbered. The Spanish chased them up the Camino Real and caught most of them at Trinidad. By that time, they were getting close to the US border and the Spanish evidently made the poltiical decision that killing Americans on the battlefield was defensible, but killing them close to the US border was dangerous, so they let the captured Anglos go and killed the Tejanos. Apparently, they hid this fact from the Anglos, who arrived in Louisiana and praised the Spanish commander Elizondo who had let them go, calling him noble. What they didn't know is after he let them go he was slaughtering his own countrymen.

There was almost no killing at all in Nacogdoches itself. The initial invasion took the town on August 11, 1812 almost without a shot, and after the republicans retreated to Nacogdoches, they only stayed briefly before crossing the border into Louisiana. By the time the Spanish arrived, the town was virtually deserted.

I have recently read that around 300 were executed in Nacogdoches, from a couple sources.

Here's what the tsha says:

Quote:

In San Antonio royalists shot 327 persons and imprisoned women, and in Nacogdoches one of Arredondo's lieutenants carried out a similarly bloody purge

But, I've never actually seen a direct accout of this event. Good to see the expert says it didn't happen in nac, as I've never heard of such happenings.
aalan94
AG
Quote:

In San Antonio royalists shot 327 persons and imprisoned women, and in Nacogdoches one of Arredondo's lieutenants carried out a similarly bloody purge
There's no primary source for this, but the general idea basically matches what happened in Trinidad. I can only presume that some source said East Texas and they just assumed Nacogdoches because they'd never heard of Trinidad, which of course they hadn't, because there was a town in the morning and just abandoned buildings and dead bodies a few days later.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.