Official ***Battlefields I have Visited Thread***

7,908 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by mullokmotx
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
seems to be a bunch of history buffs on the site.

You can post pictures or anecdotes of the battlefield sites around the world you have visited:

Crusader / Mameluke Battle Arsuf Apallonia (Modern Day Herzliya Israel)

Kings Mountain (Revolutionary War North Carolina)

Camden (Revolutionary War South Carolina)

Greensboro (Revolutionary War North Carolina)

Morristown and Valley Forge (Revolutionary War)

Monmouth (Revolutionary War)

New Orleans (Battle of 1812)

Fort McHenry (War of 1812 Baltimore)

CanyonAg77
AG
Just got back from the Camden, SC area, figured I would be the only one to have been to that one. Oh, well

I will say that the town of Camden has a great Revolutionary War museum and village. Well worth a visit and just a few miles from the battlefield
CanyonAg77
AG
Gettysburg
Adobe Walls
Petersburg
Glorieta Pass
Camden SC
Ft. McHenry
Alamo
San Jacinto
Goliad
Gonzales

Battlefields you can get close to, but not actually visit:

Valverde (Southern NM)
Palo Duro Canyon
Pease River

Smeghead4761
In no particular order:

Captain Jack's Stronghold (Modoc War, Northern California)

Murfreesboro/Stones River (Civil War, Tennessee)

Chickamauga (Civil War, Georgia)

Normandy (WWII, France)

Huertgen Forest (WWII, Germany)

Bastogne/Battle of the Bulge (WWII, Belgium)

Meuse-Argonne (WWI, France. This one was a staff ride, and included stops at the sight of The Lost Battalion's battle, a location they thought was where Alvin York earned his Medal, and the location where our regiment (6th Infantry) crossed the Meuse River)

Verdun (WWI, France)

Camden (War of Independence, South Carolina) Apparently all of us have been to Camden

Chancellorsville (Civil War, Virginia.)

Gettysburg (Civil War, Pennsylvania)

Overland Campaign - Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, City Point, Petersburg, Five Forks, and Appomatox Courthouse. Also a short stop at Fredricksburg. (Civil War, Virginia. This was a week long staff ride done as part of the Army Basic Strategic Arts Program school)

Antietam (Civil War, Maryland)

Fort Ticonderoga (French and Indian War, War of Independence, New York)

Warwick River Line (Civil War, Virginia)

Yorktown (War of Independence, Virginia)

There was also some dinky little Civil War battle site in western Missouri or eastern Kansas that I visited once while I was TDY to Fort Leavenworth, but I can't remember the name.

I did visit Berlin and Vienna while I was stationed in Germany, but wouldn't really consider those battlefield visits. Heck, I hadn't even heard of the Winged Hussars when I went to Vienna.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Pointe du Hoc

UTAH Beach

OMAHA Beach

Ste Mere Eglise

Carentan

St Lo

GOLD Beach
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Yorktown
San Jacinto
Alamo
Gettysburg
BQ78
AG
Too many to list, mostly in the US. Here is a cool picture from Cavalry Hill at the Fetterman Massacre Site near Ft. Phil Kearny

one safe place
World War II
Tarawa
Makin Island (Butaritari)

The Great War
Verdun
Meuse-Argonne
Ypers, Belgium (Flanders Fields)
Belleau Wood
Battle of the Somme (various parts)
Soissons
Chemin Des Dames ridge (battle of the Aisne)
Chateau-Thierry
Saint-Mihiel
JABQ04
AG
American Rev
Yorktown

Tex Rev
-Alamo
-San Jacinto

Civil War
-Port Hudson
-Antietam
-Gettysburg
-The Wilderness
-Chancellorsville
-Fredricksburg
-Spotsylvania
-Pleasant Hill
-Chattanooga
-Chickamauga
-Corinth
-Fort Blakeley

Korean War
-Hill 180
Rabid Cougar
AG
My brother lives in Middleburg, Va. We spend entire weekends on "staff rides" of entire campaigns with our books and maps. That has resulted in visiting a lot of the Northern Virginia and Maryland sites. I also worked for NPS at Petersburg in the early '80s so naturally that accounts for the Peninsula, Overland, Petersburg and Appomattox Campaigns as on my days off I lived Civil War battlefields . Most everything else is from years of family vacations, civil war reenacting travel and work travel.

Rev War
Bunker Hill
Lexington
Concord
Camden,
Kings Mountain
Cowpens
Guilford Courthouse,
Fort Moultrie,
Yorktown

Chalmette (New Orleans)
Fort McHenry

Texas Rev War
Coleto
Goliad
Alamo
San Jacinto

Mexican War
Resaca D La Palma/Palo Alto

American Civil War

Virginia
1861:
Balls Bluff, Manassas (1), Blackburn's Ford

1862:
Manassas (2), Thoroughfare Gap, Winchester (2), Kernstown, Front Royal, Chantilly, Fredericksburg (1) , Drewrys Bluff (1), Beaver Dam, Hanover, Gaines Mill, Savage Station, Glendale. Seven Pines, Malvern Hills, Williamsburg, Yorktown

1863:
Winchester (3 and 4), Manassas Gap, Middleburg, Adie, Buckland Mills, Bristoe Station, Kelly's Ford, Mine Run, Chancellorsville, Salem Church, Fredericksburg (2),Auburn, Rappahannock Station, Brandy Station

1864:
Yellow Tavern, Ware Bottom, Proctor's Creek, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Totopotnomy, Haws Shop, Cold Harbor, Fair Oaks, Chaffins Farm, Deep Bottom, Darbytown Road, Petersburg, Crater, Peebles Farm, Boyden Plank Road, Globe Tavern, Jerusalem Plank Road Reams Station

1865:
Fort Stedman, Hatchers Run, Dinwiddie Courthouse, Amelia Springs, Salyers Creek, Rice's Station, High Bridge, Appomattox Station.

Pennsylvania
Gettysburg

Maryland
Monacy, South Mountain, Boonsboro, Antietam, Fox's Gap, Turner's Gap Crompton's Gap

West Virginia
Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown

South Carolina
Fort Sumter, Secessionville, Fort Wagner (Walked on the beach as close as you can get)

Georgia
Fort Pulaski, Dalton (1,2,3), Chickamauga, Ringold Gap, Resaca,

Tennessee
Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, Seminary Ridge, Franklin, Stones River, Shiloh

Alabama:
Mobile Bay, Spanish Fort, Fort Blakely

Louisiana:
Mansfield, Pleasant Hill

Mississippi:
Champions Hill, Vicksburg, Corinth, Black River Bridge

Texas:
Galveston, Sabine Pass, Palmeto Ranch

New Mexico:
Glorieta Pass

Oklahoma:
Honey Springs

Indian Wars
Little Big Horn, Adobe Walls

Iraq
Iraq/Iran War (East of Basra)
Battle of Nasiriyah March 2003
Battle of Basra March 2003
Battle of Amarah (British)
Battle of Samawah March 2003

Kuwait
Highway of Death

Afghanistan
Khyber Pass
aalan94
AG
Great idea for a thread. I'm going to add photos where I can.

U.S.: Bull Run/Manassas, Gettysburg, Yorktown.

Texas: The Alamo, Coletto Creek Battlefield, Seige of La Bahia (1813)/Goliad Massacre (1836), Battle of Arroyo Hondo, San Jacinto.
Me at Coleto Creek

Europe: First of all, damn near every city was a battlefield at some point, if only from the air. Not counting that, though I've been to dozens.

Waterloo. When I was a free-lance journalists in Europe in the late 1990s, I was killing time and stopped by. This is the big monument, which is awesome and has a lion on top. From up there, you can see everything. The second pic is Napoleon's Center.

Bastogne. Same trip. Highlight was meeting an American soldier whose wife had died and so he just moved to Bastogne to live out his last year and then die and be buried with his comrades. Really interesting character. I interviewed him but never wrote an article. I should find out what happened to him.

Normandy. Visited during my leave from Iraq. Went from having not seen a blade of grass for six months to a very green and cold French countryside. Pointe du Hoc, where Rudder's men landed:

More Point du Hoc, including craters from bombing. No, the bombers didn't miss it, the Germans were just dug in.

Omaha beach, with my footprints from my Iraq combat boots:

St. Mere Eglise

What's left of the Mulberries.

Various other Normandy pics.

Asia:
Corregidor. Obviously, if your ship sails into Manilla and you get a couple of days ashore, you do this.

Guam:

Singapore: The "Battlebox" is a museum of the Battle of Singapore. It's really the "Surrender Museum" - the bunker where the British realized that their empire was toast. For what little the Singaporeans had to work with, it's decently done, although depressing for anyone other than Japanese tourists, who probably leave with giant grins.

Hiroshima (Not too many Japanese smile in this museum) :

74OA
AG
FWIW, the Traveling Aggies offer a variety of WWII tours in Europe and the National WWII Museum also tours Pacific battle sites such as Iwo Jima.

Search "WWII": TA
Museum: NATIONAL
Gator92
AG
Alamo
San Jacinto
Fort McHenry
Pearl Harbor
Fort Sumpter
Chalmette
Bighunter43
AG
Alamo
Goliad Massacre
Coleto Creek
San Jacinto

Gettysburg
Shiloh
Manassas
Fredericksburg
Chattanooga (Lookout Mountain)
Missionary Ridge
Franklin (Carter House)
Martin Cash
AG
War of 1812

New Orleans

Texas Revolution
Alamo
Goliad
San Jacinto
Brackettville

Civil War

Vicksburg
Shiloh
Kennesaw Mountain
Lookout Mountain
Petersburg
Fredericksburg
Sharpsburg
Manassas
The Wilderness
Gettysburg
Chancellorsville
Atlanta

jkag89
Lexington and Concord
Bunker Hill

Alamo
Goliad
San Jacinto

Harper's Ferry

Nueces
Galveston

Lived on Okinawa for almost three years when I was a kid. Don't recall anything specific.
AgRyan04
Just one....Battle of Little Bighorn. From recommendation of someone on here we did it on horseback, and it was pretty awesome.

LMCane

First Bull Run / Manassas battlefield outside DC
LMCane
CanyonAg77 said:

Just got back from the Camden, SC area, figured I would be the only one to have been to that one. Oh, well

I will say that the town of Camden has a great Revolutionary War museum and village. Well worth a visit and just a few miles from the battlefield

Awesome- too bad I left Charlotte several years ago back to the DC area but will try to get down there to that Museum next time I drive to Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head.

LMCane
Because I didn't want to post an OP running 3 pages long here are the other battlefields I have visited:

Cowpens (Revolutionary War)

Third Winchester (Civil War)

Antietam (Civil War)

Gettysburg (I basically live there hiking most weekends in the summer and fall)

Washingtons Crossing (Revolutionary War north of Philly at the Delaware river near Trenton)

Lexington and Concord

Bunker Hill/Breeds Hill

Vicksburg

Five Forks

Petersburg
LMCane
Smeghead4761 said:

In no particular order:

Captain Jack's Stronghold (Modoc War, Northern California)

Murfreesboro/Stones River (Civil War, Tennessee)

Chickamauga (Civil War, Georgia)

Normandy (WWII, France)

Huertgen Forest (WWII, Germany)

Bastogne/Battle of the Bulge (WWII, Belgium)

Meuse-Argonne (WWI, France. This one was a staff ride, and included stops at the sight of The Lost Battalion's battle, a location they thought was where Alvin York earned his Medal, and the location where our regiment (6th Infantry) crossed the Meuse River)

Verdun (WWI, France)

Camden (War of Independence, South Carolina) Apparently all of us have been to Camden

Chancellorsville (Civil War, Virginia.)

Gettysburg (Civil War, Pennsylvania)

Overland Campaign - Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, City Point, Petersburg, Five Forks, and Appomatox Courthouse. Also a short stop at Fredricksburg. (Civil War, Virginia. This was a week long staff ride done as part of the Army Basic Strategic Arts Program school)

Antietam (Civil War, Maryland)

Fort Ticonderoga (French and Indian War, War of Independence, New York)

Warwick River Line (Civil War, Virginia)

Yorktown (War of Independence, Virginia)

There was also some dinky little Civil War battle site in western Missouri or eastern Kansas that I visited once while I was TDY to Fort Leavenworth, but I can't remember the name.

I did visit Berlin and Vienna while I was stationed in Germany, but wouldn't really consider those battlefield visits. Heck, I hadn't even heard of the Winged Hussars when I went to Vienna.

wow that's awesome!!

Pretty sure it was Murfreesboro I stopped at- is that on the way from Knoxville to Nashville if you go south? I remember a few years ago summer 2020 I stopped at a very nice battlefield in TN but there were not a lot of cannon or markings, like only 2 or 3 cannon.
LMCane

part of the main line of Confederate artillery on Henry House Hill, First Manassas

there are probably 14 or 15 pieces of different types on this main line
LMCane
wow - how the @#$#@$ did you end up in Tarawa?!
LMCane

Second Manassas on the other side of the road from Henry House Hill.

There is a parking spot right in front of this which is much more user friendly than trying to park at the main National Park Service Museum lot. and a paved trail which goes about half a mile, then you can go off road and cross into the First Manassas park trails or keep heading north and stay on the Second Manassas fields (which are not marked but passable through the dirt)
LMCane
you were old enough to work for NPS in the early 1980s but have also been to the Highway of Death in Kuwait in 1992 and to Afghanistan?

when were you in Afghanistan?
JABQ04
AG
Little Big Horn is definitely on my short list. Dream visit is to hit Isandlwana and Rourkes Drift
LMCane
JABQ04 said:

Little Big Horn is definitely on my short list. Dream visit is to hit Isandlwana and Rourkes Drift

they have ZULU DAWN now in High Def on Youtube. One of my favorite movies of all time. The soundtrack is SICK. Impi sighted!!

Rabid Cougar
AG
LMCane said:

you were old enough to work for NPS in the early 1980s but have also been to the Highway of Death in Kuwait in 1992 and to Afghanistan?

when were you in Afghanistan?

Yep. NPS in my early '20's and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers working with Provincial Reconstruction Teams ( Army in Iraq and Navy in the 'stan) in my late 40's.

Traveled over the actual Highway of Death in 2007. Did all the Iraq stuff in '07,'08 (Basra and Camp Bucca) and '09 (Talil) and then did Afghanistan in '11. (FOB Wright (Abad) in the Kunar). My job took me outside the wire 4-5 days a week so I got to see lots of countryside and meet lots of the locals... both good and bad...

It was a blast working with the Aegis Security guys ( all ex Brit-Mil) in Iraq and the Army SecFor guys ( Mass. National Guard) and ODAs in Afghanistan.
Rabid Cougar
AG
BTW 1,000 additional Blue Stars for pictures while on location and horses...
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Been to a lot of the others, but posting one I had not seen listed: Confederate high water mark, Pea Ridge.

one safe place
LMCane said:

wow - how the @#$#@$ did you end up in Tarawa?!
My dad fought and was wounded there. He was a member of K/3/2 and became one of "Ryan's Orphans" (Major Ryan who commanded L/3/2) as things fell apart that morning. Few of his platoon survived and were transferred over to L/3/2 after Tarawa. I had no idea the island was even inhabited nor that there was a way to access it. Sure wish I had known when my dad was alive, I would have taken him if he wanted to go, which he probably would not have wanted to.

I came across a tour company that listed many tours including a week in Tarawa. So, I went for the 72nd anniversary and again for the 75th anniversary. Walked in on Red Beach 1 where he landed, killed the first Japanese he killed, I got to meet the archaeologists who are still finding the remains of Marines and, eventually, getting them identified in Hawaii and returned home. A few years beforehand, and years after my dad died, I had gotten in touch with some of the guys in his platoon and one asked if I had a certain book about Tarawa which was out of print. This guy was in his squad in fact. I did, he asked if he could read it, so I mailed it to him. He mailed it back and had marked on maps and pictures in the book where they were on day 1, day 2, and such. I was pretty much able to follow the path he took.

There is another tour planned for this November, the 80th anniversary, but you have to have a covid shot to go and so I suppose I have been for the last time. The tour guide is the grandson of Sandy Bonnyman who was one of the four Medal of Honor recipients. His remains were found a few years ago.
CanyonAg77
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

BTW 1,000 additional Blue Stars for pictures while on location and horses...
No horses, but I did an extensive post on my visit to Adobe Walls

https://texags.com/forums/39/topics/3290730
JABQ04
AG
LMCane said:

JABQ04 said:

they have ZULU DAWN now in High Def on Youtube. One of my favorite movies of all time. The soundtrack is SICK. Impi sighted!!

"You're the best shots in the 24th, you let them heathens know it"

Favorite line. Interesting battle and much like Little Bighorn the reality v public perception is way different
whoop1995
AG
I don't know if these fit the requirements as I can't remember battle sites of all of the places I have been but I have also been to places of history where wars reached like London ( Churchill's tunnels), prisoner of war camps in Germany and Panmunjom, Korea.

Revolutionary war

Grew up in Brookfield Connecticut right outside of Danbury and went to a bunch of the revolutionary sites with family or Boy Scouts or school. Family fought in the revolutionary war so technically I am a son of the revolutionary war but I never joined the organization. Some of the cities don't have the battlefields laid out but the museums are there to learn from and the towns still have history embedded in the town via plaques, statues or other. The only battle fought in Connecticut to my knowledge was the battle of Ridgefield. The rest of the battles were offshore.

To name a few:
Boston - It was and wasn't a war persay but contributed greatly - site of crispus attucks being shot and Boston tea party (original with the plaque on wall of bank)
Breeds hill and bunker hill
Lexington and concord
West Point
Washington DC
Fort Ticonderoga
Ridgefield Connecticut
Sorry I don't recall the rest of them but if they were in Massachusetts, New York, or the rest of New England I was probably there at one point or another.

Texas
Alamo
San jacinto
Goliad

Civil war
Gettysburg

Seen sites in Europe for ww2 and ww1. And all kinds of mid evil/Roman sites I can't remember

While in military went to Korea, Germany and desert shield/storm.

Between my sons and my Boy Scouts troops I have slept on the Uss Lexington, Uss Massachusetts, Uss Texas, ft ap hill.

I don't know why I go to these places so much but if there is a tank, plane, battleship, bunker, museum I can't resist the urge to go. I am trying to plan a trip to hawaii with the family and in it we have to stop at Pearl Harbor and the punch bowl memorial (great uncle is memorialized there). See I just can't stop.

I like history and I guess I have a reverence for those that fought before me and in a small way remembering/ learning about them is a way of paying them back for their sacrifice.

Smeghead4761
Murfreesboro is SE of Nashville, on the way to Chattanooga via I-24.

That and Chickamauga I want to go back to. I was a brand new 2LT driving from WA state to the Benning School for Boys when I visited, and I didn't really know what I was looking at.

One of the coolest things at Gettysburg was being able to find the marker where my regiment (6th U.S. Infantry) was during the battle, just south of the Wheat Field. Gettysburg was the regiment's last battle during the Civil War, because they were just so shot up. IIRC, the regimental commander during the battle was a major, vice the colonel they were supposed to have. According to the regimental history, what was left of the regiment was sent to NYC to deal with draft riots there.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.