WW2 From the Frontlines - Netflix

2,577 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by kegstand
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone watching this docuseries on Netflix?

It's the story of the war narrated to real war time and battlefield footage that's been colored and sharpened.

It's really well done both on the narrating and info side and the footage they have and what they've done with it.

It's probably a little dumbed down for most on this board but as a non history buff I think it's great!
AgRyan04
I haven't yet but I definitely will
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Now that I know about this, I will watch it.
#FJB
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Have watched it three times now. Amazing actual footage and very well produced with the right amount of audio enhancements. If you're a WW2 person you will like it.
AggieZUUL
AG
Just watched this series. Probably the best colorized/optimized WW2 footage I've ever seen. Excellent production which incorporates recordings from participants on all sides. Greatest Generation, indeed.
LMCane
it seems like much of this footage is from previous Amazon documentaries and WWII in HD

amg405
AG
Highly recommended. I enjoyed it and some of the footage I had never seen before… particularly from Poland.
one safe place
I watched it and enjoyed it, a lot of footage I had not seen before. There were some things on the part about Tarawa that were incorrect or out of sequence that I noticed.
aalan94
AG
If you want a short one, it's not too bad. But please stop pronouncing the W in Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht as an actual W. Germans don't have a w sound. W's in those words are all pronounced like a V.

(Same thing is true of the Wagner Group. Since it's named after a German composer, it's Vaag-ner" not Wag-ner.)

As for WWII documentaries, the gold standard is World at War, which I think is best paired with "Victory at Sea" to cover the entire conflict.
Belton Ag
AG
Then why do they spell Volkswagen with V and W in the same word if they sound the same?

Why not volksvagen or Wolkswagen?

Stupid Germans.
Jabin
Yeah, I'm going to follow the lead of our Brit cousins. If people want to be understood, they simply need to learn and speak English!
LMCane
aalan94 said:

If you want a short one, it's not too bad. But please stop pronouncing the W in Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht as an actual W. Germans don't have a w sound. W's in those words are all pronounced like a V.

(Same thing is true of the Wagner Group. Since it's named after a German composer, it's Vaag-ner" not Wag-ner.)

As for WWII documentaries, the gold standard is World at War, which I think is best paired with "Victory at Sea" to cover the entire conflict.
I bought the entire World At War series on VHS tapes...

and now there are no such things as VCRs.

then I bought the entire World At War series on DVDs

and now there are no such things as DVD players with the Samsung smart TV DVRs..
Rabid Cougar
AG
LMCane said:

I bought the entire World At War series on VHS tapes...

and now there are no such things as VCRs.

then I bought the entire World At War series on DVDs

and now there are no such things as DVD players with the Samsung smart TV DVRs..
The EXACT reason I told my wife as she tried to throw away my VCR that I had stashed away and I not used in umpteen years...

I still have it !
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

I pronounce it with a "V" ( as I slowly put on my M1940 stahlhelm and 3rd pattern fallschirmjager jump smock with splinter pattern and eye the Karabiner 98k in the gun case).

I know...mishmash of uniforms... but it helps me with the pronunciation!
kegstand
AG
Watched based on the recommendations from this thread. The production and reproduction of the old film is fantastic. It's short but does a great job of hitting the highlights. Would be good for younger kids just getting into history.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.