Bringing them home, one by one

2,334 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LMCane
one safe place
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Around the world there are something like 82,000 American service members missing. They are slowly coming home thanks to the efforts of many such as History Flight, the DPAA, and others. I have been on Tarawa when the flag draped coffins are loaded on a plane, a dignified transfer they call it. Of course, there are no bodies in the coffins. Instead there are evidence bags containing bones, teeth, perhaps a ring or other personal items. These Marines have been buried in the sand for 80 years now.

I went to a funeral back in October, in Pearland, a graveside service. Nobody any of you know. In fact, I didn't even know him either. We never met. His parents were not there, nor were either of his two siblings. They have all passed away, some of them many decades ago. He was 21 when he died, and he died around 80 years ago. But he just returned home.

He was killed on the fourth and final day of the 76-hour fight that was the battle for Tarawa (Betio). Don't let the 76 hours fool you, nor the size of the island, it was only around 340 acres or so. About 2.5 miles from one end to the other and 800 yards wide at the widest point. But over 1,000 Marines and Navy personnel were killed, 2,100 more wounded, and around 5,000 Japanese and Koreans.

The only things that he and I share in common is that we are both Texas boys, from towns beginning with the letter L, he worked for Linde Air Products and so did my son, his dad and my dad both had initials of J. W., and he and my dad both fought on that tiny island. They were both at the same camp on New Zealand prior to sailing to Tarawa, Camp Paekakariki (there were three camps I think). I am sure they never met, different regiments. But they both went through the same training and preparations, ate the same meals, each got on boats to be taken ashore, and I suspect both wondered what they had gotten themselves into. Each received a Purple Heart, my dad for his wounds, but this young man was killed and buried there, in a trench with around 30 others, and was later deemed "unrecoverable" after we had gone back soon after the war to try to find those buried there. Not a great deal of success with that effort way back then.

It is very hard for me to wrap my head around these things. I did not serve, my lottery number was 12, so I was about to get drafted and had I been drafted perhaps Vietnam would have been my destination. Who knows. But they stopped the draft. It was such an unpopular war by that time, my dad was pissed that they were not trying to win it. It wasn't even our war, and so few of us back home had any skin in the game.
World War II was different in many ways. Much larger scale and people back home were impacted by that war.

I cannot imagine these young men leaving home, leaving behind parents, or a girlfriend or wife, and going so far away, and staying away for so long. It wasn't as if you could pick up a cell phone and call, or text. They wrote letters and I am sure looked forward to getting letters from home. It was hard enough on me when I was working derricks the first semester that my girlfriend (now wife) was at A&M, and I would go a couple of weeks without seeing the person that mattered most to me. And these boys waited much longer than that, and then for so many the waits didn't ever end, as they never came back home. And for the families, and the girlfriends or wives, getting word that he had been killed. "We regret to inform you…" With the fight for Tarawa being on November 20 to 23, many families got the notification on Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day, that their son, boyfriend, or husband had been killed. I am sure the holiday season was never as joyous as it once was, not for the rest of their lives.

You hear it said, and I concur, that a parent should never have to bury a child, that it should be the other way around. And yet so many parents never even got the chance to bury their son. He was gone, but he wasn't here to bury. He was 6,000 miles away. They waited and waited and waited and then they died with his remains still under the sand on 340 acres in the Pacific. For 80 years.

I was not sure how many people would be there what with so many of his family members no longer around and due to the passage of time. So, I wanted to be there. Always said I would go to a service for one of these Marines coming home, and this one wasn't far away either. The Marines were there in their dress blues, I don't think there is a more beautiful uniform in existence. The service was one with full military honors, 21-gun salute (more Marines), a young lady Marine played the most beautiful rendition of Taps that I have ever heard, the flag draped coffin, and the slow, precise folding of the American flag. If seeing all that doesn't tug at you a little, you and I are unalike.

There were representatives of various organizations there such as the VFW and groups with an interest in finding our guys who are still overseas. A non-profit, History Flight, has been searching for, and finding, and playing a huge role in identifying and bringing home these Marines. There is a saying, "No man left behind" and it makes me proud that there are those that truly believe in that creed. Even if it took 80 years to bring him home. I have met some of their team, fairly young and devoted guys and gals, that work in trying to recover our guys. They do so in tropical heat, Tarawa is right on the equator. They are very devoted with what they are doing, and when they find the bones, teeth, rings, or any remains, they treat what they find with the utmost dignity, honor, and respect. Good people.
I did a bit of reading about this Marine and while standing there today, I looked down right in front of me and saw the footstones, one was his dad, and one was his mom. What caught my eye was "Sadie" and then remembered who she was. I like that name.

He is home now, buried near his parents, not in an unmarked grave under the sand of the island where his life ended. As I said, I didn't know him. But I know about him, and that's good enough for me.
wildcat08
AG
Thank you.
Eliminatus
AG
It's important to me personally as well. Thank you for remembering and honoring these men. My uncle was one of these lost Marines for decades (he fell during the Mayaguez Incident). I can personally attest how important it is for a family that knows, but doesn't KNOW, what happened to their loved one. And the incredible emotions when they finally get closure so many years later.

Fun story time. I was a young preteen when Uncle Andy came home. The whole thing was very impressionable to me. I had always wanted to be a Marine and seeing the USMC burial detail lay their brother to rest evoked such an emotion in me that I have no words for. I have a very specific memory of the officer who handed my grandmother the fold flag that stayed with me all throughout my teen years that helped lead me to stepping on those yellow footprints. The first Marine in my family since Andy.

By absolute pure coincidence, I found that Marine officer a few years ago. Here. On Texags. That Marine was an Aggie. And he is a TA'er. Small world.

I will always support these efforts. Andy was found by a mix of government and volunteer work in 1999, identified in 2000 and returned to us that year. 25 years after dying in SE Asia. There are still several men that are lost from that same operation sadly. And hence the work continues.

Till they all come home.

My grandmother getting her closure 25 years after her boy went missing.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Those are 2 of the most poignant posts I have ever read on TexAgs.

OP, you convey just how passionate you are about our fallen soldiers and getting them home.
#FJB
Tanker123
Mark Noah who founded History Flight is a true American hero. He contacted the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPPA) about his theory of finding Marines buried in Tarawa. For some reason the head of the DPPA deemed it appropriate to treat Mr. Noah like crap. Friendly forces should support each other. The short end to a long story is, due to Mr. Noah's tenacity, many dozens of Marines were found and repatriated. The land mass at Tarawa is so small that they built structures and things above the burial sites.

whoop1995
AG
One of my great uncles "Robert" went MIA with his crew in 1944 after crashing his plane in the ocean off a small island in the pacific. He is honored in the punch bowl in hawaii and technically "buried" there although the plot is empty. I have been in contact with organizations that look for wrecks and they said they would contact me if the plane is found.

My grandfather, his brother, was ailing and near his death at 94 in 2017 when I went to visit him in the hospital. I sat down beside him and said hello and my grandfather looked at me and exclaimed "Robert, I can't believe you are here, oh boy, you and I in the same room together."

I didn't know what to do and I sat there in shock and my grandfather kept talking to his brother.

My grandfather came out of his "state" a few days later and I didn't tell him what happened. I learned a little bit about his brother during those visits.

Sorry to derail if I have and I mean no disrespect I was just trying to relay that there are a lot of us family members that are still here waiting to "meet" those family members that give their life for us..

Thank you OP.
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
one safe place
wildcat08 said:

Thank you.
Very welcome.
one safe place
Eliminatus said:

It's important to me personally as well. Thank you for remembering and honoring these men. My uncle was one of these lost Marines for decades (he fell during the Mayaguez Incident). I can personally attest how important it is for a family that knows, but doesn't KNOW, what happened to their loved one. And the incredible emotions when they finally get closure so many years later.

Fun story time. I was a young preteen when Uncle Andy came home. The whole thing was very impressionable to me. I had always wanted to be a Marine and seeing the USMC burial detail lay their brother to rest evoked such an emotion in me that I have no words for. I have a very specific memory of the officer who handed my grandmother the fold flag that stayed with me all throughout my teen years that helped lead me to stepping on those yellow footprints. The first Marine in my family since Andy.

By absolute pure coincidence, I found that Marine officer a few years ago. Here. On Texags. That Marine was an Aggie. And he is a TA'er. Small world.

I will always support these efforts. Andy was found by a mix of government and volunteer work in 1999, identified in 2000 and returned to us that year. 25 years after dying in SE Asia. There are still several men that are lost from that same operation sadly. And hence the work continues.

Till they all come home.

Thanks for sharing the story of your uncle and your grandmother, bless her. Great post.
one safe place
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Those are 2 of the most poignant posts I have ever read on TexAgs.

OP, you convey just how passionate you are about our fallen soldiers and getting them home.
Thank you for saying so. The first time I went to Tarawa, I went to walk ashore where my dad landed. And I did. A guy in his platoon had marked in one of my books where they came ashore. Then I walked the entire length of Red Beach #1 so that I know my footsteps crossed his. Despite that being the reason I made the first trip, my meeting and getting to know some of the archaeologists working there was the highlight of my trip. And yes, I am passionate about those who lost their lives at such a young age, and so far from home. Again, thanks for your kind words.
one safe place
Tanker123 said:

Mark Noah who founded History Flight is a true American hero. He contacted the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPPA) about his theory of finding Marines buried in Tarawa. For some reason the head of the DPPA deemed it appropriate to treat Mr. Noah like crap. Friendly forces should support each other. The short end to a long story is, due to Mr. Noah's tenacity, many dozens of Marines were found and repatriated. The land mass at Tarawa is so small that they built structures and things above the burial sites.

Yeah, Mark and DPAA were at odds for awhile. I think the cooperation has greatly improved. Mark was named an Honorary Marine, not a very common thing.

I have never met Mark, but have met some of the archaeologists and anthropologists and other "ologists" doing the searching on Tarawa. Very dedicated younger people. The crew there changes as time goes on, I met two different groups of them.

I don't recall who did so, but they used a cadaver dog named Buster to locate remains at one time. Pretty amazing to be able to find remains some 70 plus years old, and on an island like Tarawa (Betio). The inhabitants there will build small enclosures for the hog they raise, or tie one of its back legs to a tree, so you have a lot of odor to work through.

The first trip there, the gal in charge of the recovery showed me how they went about trying to find cemeteries. They took aerial photographs from shortly after the battle, most buildings were destroyed, trees with no foliage, so they could see areas of disturbed sand. Long rows that were suspected to be pit graves, covered by sand but different in coloration. Then, present time, the had a plane take photos from the same height and angle then superimposed the 1943 photo on the modern day photos.

As you say, buildings and huts (their houses are not really buildings) had been built over some of the areas. Of course, that only helped with trench graves. More than a few Marines were buried where they died, alone, or in twos or threes. Their buddies didn't want to be beside a dead Marine decomposing in the heat, so they scooped out a shallow grave and buried them. It didn't help that pictures on the ground back then have some rather pristine cemeteries, roped off, crosses with names on them, and nobody buried within the area. Cemetery 11 is an example, they called them memorial graves.

I think last I heard they feel there are around 400 yet to be recovered. Then, they know the general locations of where the 17 coast watchers and 5 civilians who were beheaded are buried and will recover them at some point I assume.

I think it is safe to say none of this would have been possible without Mark Noah.
one safe place
whoop1995 said:

One of my great uncles "Robert" went MIA with his crew in 1944 after crashing his plane in the ocean off a small island in the pacific. He is honored in the punch bowl in hawaii and technically "buried" there although the plot is empty. I have been in contact with organizations that look for wrecks and they said they would contact me if the plane is found.

My grandfather, his brother, was ailing and near his death at 94 in 2017 when I went to visit him in the hospital. I sat down beside him and said hello and my grandfather looked at me and exclaimed "Robert, I can't believe you are here, oh boy, you and I in the same room together."

I didn't know what to do and I sat there in shock and my grandfather kept talking to his brother.

My grandfather came out of his "state" a few days later and I didn't tell him what happened. I learned a little bit about his brother during those visits.

Sorry to derail if I have and I mean no disrespect I was just trying to relay that there are a lot of us family members that are still here waiting to "meet" those family members that give their life for us..

Thank you OP.
You are welcome and no apology needed, your comments are not a derail nor disrespectful in any way. I appreciate you telling the story of your grandfather and your great uncle and your grandfather's conversation with you. I would not have known what to do either, but I think you did the right thing. Thanks again.
Kaa98
Would like to know the name of this heroic Marine.
one safe place
Kaa98 said:

Would like to know the name of this heroic Marine.
Service details:

PFC John Wilson Hoffman, Jr

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

Company L, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force
Killed in Action, 23 November 1943

Laid to final resting place, 12 October 2023

South Park Cemetery in Pearland, TX

Today, PFC John W. Hoffman, Jr was laid to his final resting place in Pearland, TX. Many of John's family members, including his niece, Betty and great-nephew, Kirk Elliott, were in attendance. John was buried next to his parents, John Sr. and Sadie, whom purchased a burial plot for their son before they passed away. His mom and dad never gave up hope that he would one day be found and brought home.

PFC Hoffman was killed in action in November 1943, during the bloody Battle of Tarawa. In the summer of 2019, History Flight located PFC Hoffman's remains, along with 32 other Marines, all deemed MIA since WW2. We are deeply humbled and honored to have found and returned John to his awaiting family, after nearly 80 years.

Rest easy PFC Hoffman, and welcome home!

A special thank you to History Flight's friend, Scott Freund and former History Flight archaeologist, Jessica Gadis for attending this funeral and providing these images.
Tanker123
one safe place said:

Tanker123 said:

Yeah, Mark and DPAA were at odds for awhile. I think the cooperation has greatly improved. Mark was named an Honorary Marine, not a very common thing.

I have never met Mark, but have met some of the archaeologists and anthropologists and other "ologists" doing the searching on Tarawa. Very dedicated younger people. The crew there changes as time goes on, I met two different groups of them.

I don't recall who did so, but they used a cadaver dog named Buster to locate remains at one time. Pretty amazing to be able to find remains some 70 plus years old, and on an island like Tarawa (Betio). The inhabitants there will build small enclosures for the hog they raise, or tie one of its back legs to a tree, so you have a lot of odor to work through.

The first trip there, the gal in charge of the recovery showed me how they went about trying to find cemeteries. They took aerial photographs from shortly after the battle, most buildings were destroyed, trees with no foliage, so they could see areas of disturbed sand. Long rows that were suspected to be pit graves, covered by sand but different in coloration. Then, present time, the had a plane take photos from the same height and angle then superimposed the 1943 photo on the modern day photos.

As you say, buildings and huts (their houses are not really buildings) had been built over some of the areas. Of course, that only helped with trench graves. More than a few Marines were buried where they died, alone, or in twos or threes. Their buddies didn't want to be beside a dead Marine decomposing in the heat, so they scooped out a shallow grave and buried them. It didn't help that pictures on the ground back then have some rather pristine cemeteries, roped off, crosses with names on them, and nobody buried within the area. Cemetery 11 is an example, they called them memorial graves.

I think last I heard they feel there are around 400 yet to be recovered. Then, they know the general locations of where the 17 coast watchers and 5 civilians who were beheaded are buried and will recover them at some point I assume.

I think it is safe to say none of this would have been possible without Mark Noah.

Thank you for that fascinating narrative. Yes, the cooperation is like night and day. Really interesting methodology of comparing after battle photos with modern photos. From what I have read, fragments of human bones can be found all over the island. Maybe I am thinking about different island. I can't imagine anyone not getting PTSD after fighting at Tarawa. As another person alluded to, the land mass is so small that the consequences were bodies, bodies parts, burning bodies could be seen all over the place. I am afraid that some are MIA because their bodies were just completely lost in battle.

Mark Noah is proof of one of my favorite sayings. With passion someone might reach greatness because they are pushed and pulled to achieve.
Tanker123
This is an absolutely fascinating article and narrative of Mark Noah and DPPA. Mark Noah is founder of History Flight which has a mission of finding MIAs. The article alludes to the terrible relationship Mark Noah had with DPPA at the onset of searching for MIA Marines at Tarawa. It also illuminates his methodology to finding the Marines which DPPA initially rejected. However, Mark Noah and his teams repatriated several dozen Marines. It's a pretty long but informative article.

The Search for the Lost Marines of Tarawa - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
one safe place
Tanker123 said:

one safe place said:

Tanker123 said:

Thank you for that fascinating narrative. Yes, the cooperation is like night and day. Really interesting methodology of comparing after battle photos with modern photos. From what I have read, fragments of human bones can be found all over the island. Maybe I am thinking about different island. I can't imagine anyone not getting PTSD after fighting at Tarawa. As another person alluded to, the land mass is so small that the consequences were bodies, bodies parts, burning bodies could be seen all over the place. I am afraid that some are MIA because their bodies were just completely lost in battle.

Mark Noah is proof of one my favorite sayings. With passion someone might reach greatness because they are pushed and pulled to achieve.
I have not heard of fragments of bones being found but not saying they haven't been. With 6,000 dead on only 340 acres (most of them not ours) you would think it possible. I do think in the years immediately after the war, the inhabitants did find bones. They have found bones when digging wells and the like. One man had a skull and some bones on a shelf or other prominent place in his home, sort of a shrine. There was an LVT that had actually made it inland a ways and it held the bones of Marines. I think they were recovered in 1974 or so.

As to PTSD, I agree. I never noticed anything in my Dad's behavior except for one time and I cannot attribute it to the war, but I do suspect it was a flashback of some sort. After my Dad died and I started this journey into his service, I spoke with on the phone four Marines, and met one in person, who were in his platoon on Tarawa. And also with probably 20 others who joined him after Tarawa, replacements that arrived at Camp Tarawa in Hawaii on the Parker Ranch. One of them told me that at night they would sometimes hear screams coming from some of the Marines who had fought on Tarawa as they had nightmares of that fight. He said he and others who had not yet been in battle wondered just what the hell awaited them if it impacted people so severely.

Thanks for the link, will give it a read.
Aggie12B
AG
Eliminatus said:

Till they all come home.

Your grandmother holding the folded flag that was presented to her is a very poignant and pwerful image. I have taken part on both sides of the Flag presentation. I have been presented a folded flag for my Korean War Veteran Father AND I have been the one presenting the flag to the parents of one of the Soldiers in my company. Both were very emotional experiences.
Tanker123
Aggie12B said:

Eliminatus said:

Till they all come home.

Your grandmother holding the folded flag that was presented to her is a very poignant and pwerful image. I have taken part on both sides of the Flag presentation. I have been presented a folded flag for my Korean War Veteran Father AND I have been the one presenting the flag to the parents of one of the Soldiers in my company. Both were very emotional experiences.

I was OIC of many funeral details. We practiced until we were perfect. I one time volunteered myself as OIC because none of the soldiers had done a military funeral. I had to make sure they could execute flawlessly. It was also a good way to work with the soldiers and be in their presence.
one safe place
I have to agree with the sentiment of others about the picture of Eliminatus's grandmother. I could write 5,000 words about what I see in that photograph and would if I had stumbled across it posted online somewhere. It is a great photo.

LMCane
when I was at the State Department in 2018-19 I read cables from Vietnam discussing the finding of bodies

some awful stories where of course dumb GI's would be going off alone with a Vietnamese girl only to have her Viet Cong buddies stab the American to death and bury the body in the jungle

but they are locating several of the MIAs every year. amazingly the vietnamese remember under which tree they buried the Americans.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.