Show us your coolest family heirloom

4,880 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Gunny456
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's gg grandfather immigrated from Quebec to Iowa in 1871. He sent his family ahead on the train but did not want to ship his prize stud on the train….so he road the stud from Quebec to Iowa. He happened to be passing thru Chicago at the time of the great fire. The smoke was so heavy that he had to put a damp burlap bag over the stud's head. We have the saddle that he made that trip on.
BQ78
AG
Love the article, you couldn't get an editor to print something like that today, it would offend our delicate feelings!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Bighunter43 said:

My brother and I are in possession of this Colt Frontier.44 pistol that belonged to our GG Grandfather who was Texas Outlaw Bill Whitley. He was co-leader of a gang that robbed 4 trains, 2 banks and numerous stagecoaches. His cousin often harbored him and other members, but turned informant and US Marshal John T Rankin and posse were waiting on the train when they attempted to rob it just outside of Harwood. After an hour gunfight to obtain the mail car, they gave up and the robbery was thwarted. Whitley showed up 2 days later at his cousin's in Floresville where Rankin was waiting on him. Whitley came in and sat on a chair, lit the lamp when Rankin covered him with a shotgun….both fired simultaneously but Whitley just missed and the shotgun blast caught him in the head and neck. He crawled under the bed and continued to fire while other deputies came in and unloaded. (Sept. 25, 1888)….it was passed on to our grandfather who gave it to us.

You win this thread!!!!
Bighunter43
AG
BQ78 said:

Love the article, you couldn't get an editor to print something like that today, it would offend our delicate feelings!

Yes sir, I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Gunny456 said:

So which plane was your grandfather in and what capacity was he on the plane?
I second this, if you know and are willing to share, of course. WWII aviation has been a lifelong fascination for me.
#FJB
Gunny456
AG
My mom and dad were best of friends with Captain Edward "Ski" York who was the pilot of plane number 8 of the Raiders. He became city manager of Olmos Park ( suburb in San Antonio) and my mom worked for him.
I got to spend some quality time with him and attended some functions with him.
He took three paintings of the Doolittle Raiders B-25's with him for me and had all the Raiders signed them for me. Lots of them were still alive then. (1970's).
Those signed paintings are some of my most prized possessions.

Plane number 8 went to Russia instead of trying to go to China. Captain York and his crew were interned as POW's by Russia for 13 months I believe…. And they were our allies. Lots of controversy over that.
GasAg90
Gunny456 said:

He was the co-pilot on plane #5
Gunny456
Gunny456
AG
I was hoping he may have signed one of my prints….and I could send a pic of his signature to you. Sadly those were after his time.
Godspeed to him. May we never forget what sacrifices they all made.
Thanks for sharing.
ABATTBQ87
AG
GasAg90 said:

Gunny456 said:

He was the co-pilot on plane #5

Crew of 5th Aircraft - Plane # 40-2283 - Crew from 95th Squadron, 17th Group - (Bail Out)
Captain Jones took off safely despite a leak in the bomb bay gas tank and proceeded to Tokyo. His bombs scored direct hits on a power station, oil tanks and a large manufacturing plant. Continuing on to China, he flew on instruments until he estimated he was in the vicinity of Chuhsien. His entire crew bailed out without injury and was the first of the raiders to reach Chuhsien. Two of the crew remained in Indo-China while Captain Jones and Lieutenant Truelove went on to fly in Europe. Though all five members of the crew survived the Tokyo raid, two were killed in action before the war ended and Captain Jones spent time in a German POW camp.

Pilot Capt. D.M. Jones
Co-Pilot Lt. R.R. Wilder
Navigator Lt. E.F. McGurl
Bombardier Lt. D.V. Truelove
Engineer Gunner Sgt. J.W. Manske

https://childrenofthedoolittleraiders.com/crew-members/doolittle-raider-crews/crew-5/
ABATTBQ87
AG
Gunny456 said:

My mom and dad were best of friends with Captain Edward "Ski" York who was the pilot of plane number 8 of the Raiders. He became city manager of Olmos Park ( suburb in San Antonio) and my mom worked for him.
I got to spend some quality time with him and attended some functions with him.
He took three paintings of the Doolittle Raiders B-25's with him for me and had all the Raiders signed them for me. Lots of them were still alive then. (1970's).
Those signed paintings are some of my most prized possessions.

Plane number 8 went to Russia instead of trying to go to China. Captain York and his crew were interned as POW's by Russia for 13 months I believe…. And they were our allies. Lots of controversy over that.

Crew of 8th Aircraft Plane # 40-2242 - Crew from 95th Squadron, 17th Group - (Landed and Interned in Russia)
Captain York's B25 had suffered engine problems prior to the loading of the aircraft on the Hornet, and the flight to Japan compounded this. Despite heavy fuel consumption by both engines, York continued on course to drop his bombs on their assigned targets. Throughout the run the aircraft was defenseless with a top turret that failed to work. Without enough fuel to reach China, Cpt. York elected to fly the shorter distance to Russia where he landed at a field near Vladivostok in hopes of refueling to reach China. Instead, the still neutral Soviets confiscated the bomber and interred the crew for thirteen months. The crew returned home in May 1943 after escaping into Persia.

Pilot Capt. E.J. York
Co-Pilot Lt. R.G. Emmens
Navigator Lt. N.A. Herndon
Bombardier SSgt. T.H. Laban
Engineer Gunner Sgt. D.W. Pohl

https://childrenofthedoolittleraiders.com/crew-members/doolittle-raider-crews/crew-8/
easttexasaggie04
AG
This is all so cool!

I don't really have much...but I do have my grandads 1943 Willys Jeep MB that he gave me (this is us waiting to ride in it in the Fireant Festival Parade in Marshall) and his Ford Model A.

Gunny456
AG
The MB is cool. If it could only talk!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.