Players in the B10 want Shared Revenue
8,793 Views | 95 Replies
Sq 17
9:47a, 7/24/22
In reply to 20ag07
Three of the power five conferences are on life support I'd say that's a pretty significant metric
rootube
9:47a, 7/24/22
In reply to Sq 17
Sq 17 said:

rootube said:

Can everyone who is saying college football is ruined and won't exist because players can make money and transfer, give a date when you predict this will happen? I want to mark my calendar to come back and remind everyone that you were wrong.

Professional boxing still exists ( I think ) but it will never be as important as it was in the 70's

College football has peaked and has started declining each fan will determine when he has had enough and will stop caring about it.

New fans will not be sufficient to replace those leaving. 9 figure renovations of stadiums will be rare

And major college football will more closely resemble the current bowl system a made for TV product that fills space on the networks but really very few people care Enough about To attend in person & pay high ticket prices to watch

And not major college football will look like double A baseball

I'll say it again. Just in my lifetime, college football was segregated, the national champion was chosen by sportswriters and the sport was policed by the NCAA who would hammer some schools for paying players and ignore others. College Football has improved 100%. It wasn't that great when you thought it was perfect and it's much better now.
20ag07
9:53a, 7/24/22
In reply to Sq 17
Quote:

Three of the power five conferences are on life support I'd say that's pretty significant
Texas Tech, WVU, Clemson, etc fans aren't going anywhere.

Baylor's tarp showed up in the 90s.

Nothing has changed in 30 years to signal a decline.
Sq 17
9:54a, 7/24/22
In reply to rootube
The implementation of scholarship limits and the elimination of bowl tie ins and the national champion being Determined on the field made the game better
Sq 17
9:58a, 7/24/22
In reply to 20ag07
really
UCLA, USC , tu & OU leaving their conferences is not a significant change
20ag07
10:11a, 7/24/22
Quote:

really
UCLA, USC , tu & OU leaving their conferences is not a significant change
When did teams start leaving conferences? Bout 1900?

And how has that ever made the sport decline?
rootube
10:16a, 7/24/22
In reply to Sq 17
Sq 17 said:

The implementation of scholarship limits and the elimination of bowl tie ins and the national champion being Determined on the field made the game better

It's not perfect now, but it's still the best thing going by a long shot.
Sq 17
10:26a, 7/24/22
In reply to 20ag07
Pretty sure we are going to have to agree to disagree
But I will try to make my point a different way
I think the Rose bowl thinks way too highly of its own importance

that being said I like the Rose Bowl and
All the pageantry that goes along with it and I think it makes college football better.
Going forward the Rose Bowl will not be as good as it used to be and I think that's bad for college football and marks a decline in college football
20ag07
11:20a, 7/24/22
In reply to Sq 17
Quote:

Going forward the Rose Bowl will not be as good as it used to be and I think that's bad for college football and marks a decline in college football
Why won't it?

2 good teams are about to get plopped into it. Does it matter which conference they came from? Nope.

Will they get to dictate the exact time and day it happens? Nope.

Does that change the Rose Bowl? Nope.

Minus the parade maybe. That what we're talking about?
Burpelson
11:28a, 7/24/22
Football will always be around but the level of play given the recent CTL evidence coupled with avg lifespan and quality of life post career will change the game.
TheCurl84
9:59p, 7/24/22
Just so long as the players share in the losses also.
geoag58
10:15p, 7/24/22
Maybe saban was so pissed about NIL because he sucked when he coached pro football.
Divining Rod
5:04a, 7/25/22
Quote:

Also, if you'd gone to class yourself, you'd know the right wording was "I wonder how long it will be…"

and if he actually graduated: "how long it will be whenuntil the players will demand…"
2nd Generation Ag
6:25a, 7/25/22
In reply to MaroonStain
Major League baseball is a great example. Baseball was the most popular sport by far in the 50's -80's but free agency ruined it . Now only 5-10 teams can win every year. The other 20 stadiums are empty.

This will happen to college football. In 10 years. Only a handful of programs will fill out the stadium. Players will change teams every year so the school and the player can't develop a relationship.
Sq 17
6:37a, 7/25/22
In reply to 2nd Generation Ag
Currently A&M is ascendant in the new system and people are overlooking the larger issues and health of the entire College Football landscape
zag213004
6:48a, 7/25/22
In reply to 20ag07
20ag07 said:

Quote:

I don't know about now, but when I worked in the athletic department in the 90's, we had class checkers. Coach Slocum would get the list of players that had skipped class on a daily basis.
Namely Poultry Science or some such. And not one of our football players ever became a poultry scientist.

Pretty sure Von Miller is putting his degree in poultry science to use
BMX Bandit
4:54a, 4/30/24
it's not just the big 10 that's getting revenue sharing eventually

northeastag
5:40a, 4/30/24
It would be interesting to see a poll of fans about how this might impact their interest. I've noticed quite a few posters here and elsewhere saying "they're done" if this happens. I really doubt that. But its easy to believe that interest in college sports (and let's face it, it's ALL college sports and not just CFB) will wane from the current high level.

My sincere hope is that once college athletes are being paid, that Universities will support new club leagues of true amateurs students that are willing to play the games for free (and without even scholarships), and compete against other schools club teams. I think I'd be more enthusiastic about watching/attending those games than the professional ones. I'm already kind of sick of NIL and free agency.
greg.w.h
6:37a, 4/30/24
In reply to northeastag
northeastag said:

It would be interesting to see a poll of fans about how this might impact their interest. I've noticed quite a few posters here and elsewhere saying "they're done" if this happens. I really doubt that. But its easy to believe that interest in college sports (and let's face it, it's ALL college sports and not just CFB) will wane from the current high level.

My sincere hope is that once college athletes are being paid, that Universities will support new club leagues of true amateurs students that are willing to play the games for free (and without even scholarships), and compete against other schools club teams. I think I'd be more enthusiastic about watching/attending those games than the professional ones. I'm already kind of sick of NIL and free agency.
I'm sure that a true amateur system that doesn't bring attention to the university or enrich coaches would work like our current club sports. Are you actively following those teams today? Otherwise you're a hypocrite.
northeastag
6:53a, 4/30/24
In reply to greg.w.h
Yea right, doofus.

I can follow Texas club sports closely from NY.

Not.
TXAGBQ76
1:10p, 4/30/24
Over the last week or so, there have been some articles about how the Big 10 and SEC have been working on this behind the scenes.
Ugly
3:19p, 4/30/24
In reply to northeastag
northeastag said:

Legally, I think this has become a catch-22. If fan interest is high enough to warrant decent television coverage, the players are probably going to have to be able to get a cut of those television dollars (or have a weird in-between system like we have now).
BMX Bandit
4:26p, 4/30/24
Quote:

Texas A&M athletic director Trev Alberts, for example, recently told the Bryan-College Station Eagle that schools could be adding $15 million to $20 million to their budgets annually for what he termed a "new expense category" in college athletics.

From linked article in tweet above
BMX Bandit
5:05a, 5/7/24
HarryRocket
6:36a, 5/7/24
, why would anyone care about nfl light?

College sports is dying.

A lot of female bowlers are going to be really upset.
BMX Bandit
7:41a, 5/7/24
In reply to HarryRocket
Cool story Karen
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >