Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Spring Game Observations

11,933 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by halfastros81
Redfishag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I watched the spring game with a focus on offensive line as we all know this will play a massive role in our success next year. Saying our offensive line was a weakness last year is a big understatement imo.

Bisontis - I like the looks of him at guard much more than him playing RT last year when he struggled. He did well finding his target on several pulls. I thought he held up well.

Colton Thomason - Now I know why he's transferring. He struggles holding his ground, moving his feet, getting ping ponged around pretty good. Needs lots of strength and movement training.

Fatheree - I think he will be the starting RT. He looked solid on the vast majority of plays, including handling Scourton a few times, which is no small feat. I guess he was just not healthy last year because his play in the Spring Game was way better than Bisontis at RT last year.

Funk - He played guard, and I believe we got it right with this guy. Pleasantly surprised by this guy considering he's a true freshman. He handled Rodas Johnson well a few times which also appears to be no small feat. Funk even buried LBs a couple of times at the second level (I believe it was Scooby Johnson). I believe this guy can play in case of injury this year which is saying something for a true freshman.

Hunter Erb - He played LT in front of Weigman and was a pretty good part of Weigman struggling (Thomason as well). Scourton abused him with repeated spin moves. Scourton by the way...look out, this guy is hell on wheels. Erb did have some plays where he handled his assignment against good competition. He moved his feet decently well trying to keep up with some wide speed rushes. He looks to have good strength...there's some potential here, just not right now.

Armaj-Adams - This is likely the other starting guard. You don't notice him much unless you're focusing on him because he looked solid. Strength and mobility...Great pickup.

Zuhn - He was our best OL last year imo and should be better this year. He looked mostly good, but he did struggle with Cashius Howell 2-3 times. This is a good sign for Cashius Howell, but also a reminder that Zuhn is not a legit all SEC type player imo.

Nabou - prolly starting center unless the Utah transfer unseats him. I'm guessing the Utah guy is not planning on coming here to sit, so Nabou better keep improving. Rodas Johnson beat him 3 different times I believe pretty early in the game so Nabou had some issues.

Crownover - prolly our swing tackle who held up well mostly. He did get whooped by Shermar Stewart a few times. Not sure why he didn't play RT more last year instead of Bisontis.

Dewberry - I guess he's hurt? Hopefully he's healthy and ready before the season starts because I thought he was pretty good last year.

Ohrstrom - hit and miss, ran past his blocking assignment more than once. I didn't notice the 2 transfer TEs, Miller and Watson...maybe they're hurt?

Other
Rodas Johnson - this guy is going to be a big part of the DT rotation. Very quick and busy for a big guy.

Most improved - Shermar Stewart - This guy was a problem all day for pretty much whoever tried to block him. Very active with his hands fighting around and right through blocks. He disrupted many plays, working over Crownover on several.

Cashius Howell - This guy had an impressive dip pass rush move to get underneath the tackle and create pressure...alot of flexibility for a DE. As metioned, he also gave Zuhn trouble on 3 different plays I think.

Saunders, Dalton Brooks, Mayes, Will Lee all showed tight coverage and solid tackling.

It appears to me we did very well in the transfer portal.

As good as our defensive line was last year with McKinley Jackson, Fadil Diggs, Walter Nolan and Turner, it could very well be better this year with Turner, Scourton, Shermar Stewart, and Rodas Johnson.

And I feel very confident offensive line will be improved.

Josepi
AG
This is how you TexAgs. Great post!
TX_Aggie37
AG
Very difficult to come to any definitive conclusions from watching a Spring Game, but I agree with most of your post.

If I was putting 5 together right now to play OL, from left to right it would be Zuhn, Bisontis, Nabou, Dewberry, Fatheree. It's possible that Faaiu takes over for Nabou, moving him to guard. I've never been a fan of Crownover at tackle, and I think you have to have Nabou or Dewberry in a guard spot (assuming healthy).

I second the Shemar Stewart comment. Dude was playing fast and violent. He has all the physical tools, I've just been waiting for him to flash. Looking forward to watching him and Scourton work off the edge.

It definitely seemed like coverage was tighter. It was refreshing to watch DBs break up passes and meet a WR at the ball on a slant as opposed to a catch and tackle.

I think Marcel Reed has the potential be a real player. Who knows if he'll ever get significant snaps in an A&M uniform in this era of college football. Weigman would have to either transfer or go pro after this season, otherwise I suspect Reed might explore his options.

It was a nice dose of college football in April.
StinkyPinky
AG
You just made it move a little. Ok, who am I kidding, it moved A LOT!
P.U.T.U
AG
Shermar Stewart was already a freak, if he is better he will have a killer year.
NewEra2023
AG
need an Offensive Tackleā€¦
NewEra2023
AG
Redfishag93 said:

As good as our defensive line was last year with McKinley Jackson, Fadil Diggs, Walter Nolan and Turner, it could very well be better this year with Turner, Scourton, Shermar Stewart, and Rodas Johnson.

DJ Hicks played well too. Bert Regis will be in that DT rotation as well. More than Rodas.
Redfishag93
Yes dj hicks stood out some. He beat a double team to pressure the qb on a play. Very good play.

Albert Regis didn't jump out as much as Rodas Johnson to me, but I know he's a good player and will be in the rotation.

Optimistic abut have 4-5 DT who can play. Hopefully gbd will be ready to contribute

Samu by the way, did not look ready. I forget who it was but he got drove back 10 yards, might have been funk.
Sterling82
Good write up. I agree with the D-line outlook. Scourton and Stewart are physically imposing guys with quickness and speed. They should be a menace for opposing offenses.
StinkyPinky
AG
Also good to here the positive feedback on Rodas Johnson. Sounds like another nice addition.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Just remember that if our DL looks good it is actually because our OL sucks. And if our OL looks good it is actually because our DL sucks.
Redfishag93
In my opinion Sherman Stewart really wasn't that productive last year. He was not in the starting group and was only credited w 5 tackles and 1.5 sacks on the year according to espn. Maybe that's not right?

He stood out in the spring game, looks much quicker and stronger, got off blocks, very disruptive
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I wouldn't read too much into the stats of the DL under the previous staff. They rotated a lot of bodies, they used a scheme that was not conducive to putting up numbers, and rarely were the players put in position to make big plays because their job across the line was to eat not 1 but 2 gaps. Hopefully the new DC will allow this talented bunch to excel.
Redfishag93 said:

I watched the spring game with a focus on offensive line...

And I feel very confident offensive line will be improved.

That's a lot of in depth analysis with a very weak conclusion. Of course, it will be improved over last year.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Redfishag93
Glad you took the time out of your day to add less than zero to the spring game talk.
rootube
AG
It's very difficult to make an OL assessment based on a spring game because of how they split up the teams. There were also some key pieces missing completely which also makes it difficult . Overall the DL basically dominated the OL. I really hope the patchwork OL we field next year can improve significantly because if they can't, it's going to be a long season.
redjalapeno-87
Rodas and Jadon Scarlett were the quickest off the snap at the DT position. Both got around the OL the quickest.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
rootube said:

It's very difficult to make an OL assessment based on a spring game because of how they split up the teams. There were also some key pieces missing completely which also makes it difficult . Overall the DL basically dominated the OL. I really hope the patchwork OL we field next year can improve significantly because if they can't, it's going to be a long season.
As you mentioned the OL was missing pieces and was split up. Our OL projects to be good which will be fine with the right play calling and the overall talent at the skill level. The other thing I think people are forgetting due to aggie portal panic is our DL is elite, flat out top 5 elite. They have experience, depth, talent and they can rush the passer, stop the run, and eat space. Our OL wont play a DL of that caliber outside of Notre Dame, maybe LSU as an entire front 7.
Redfishag93
Good chance DE is better than last year.

Realistically, DT will not be as good losing 2 elite guys in McKinley Jackson and Walter Nolan.
greg.w.h
AG
The sorting game emphasized working cohesively in a next man up environment by creating sung drafting to select teams. I am confused as to how other that individually heading man in man what else can be claimed, and that was almost certainly vanilla.

In fact: I suspect the fall prep will have scouting and scout team play that is much more representative of an actual game than the Maroon & White game was.
rootube
AG
I'm a little concerned about the OL. As we sit right now we have a lot of guys sitting out with injuries and some guys coming in from the portal. That sounds like a recipe for trouble when you consider we will have a starting unit comprised of guys coming off injury and completely new portal players. Oh yea and they need to sort it all out before week one when Notre Dame comes to town.
Aggie87
AG
Redfishag93 said:

Realistically, DT will not be as good losing 2 elite guys in McKinley Jackson and Walter Nolan.

Nolen had an elite pedigree, but his performance last year wasn't elite.

It shouldn't be hard to replace (and hopefully better) his performance.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Aggie87 said:

Redfishag93 said:

Agree with this. The talent between what we lose and what we currently have is a push. Where we could see a challenge is the experience that Jackson and even Raikes provided, and Nolen too. What could really help though to mitigate any short comings is the fact that the scheme is far more conducive to getting the talent to shine and hopefully the coaching is better in terms of philosophy and technique. Lastly, I believe overall our team will see a big boost in performance as S&C and nutrition have been overhauled from a fricking joke to a real program.
maincoon32
Hopefully pass blocking improves by the fall.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
rootube said:

I'm a little concerned about the OL. As we sit right now we have a lot of guys sitting out with injuries and some guys coming in from the portal. That sounds like a recipe for trouble when you consider we will have a starting unit comprised of guys coming off injury and completely new portal players. Oh yea and they need to sort it all out before week one when Notre Dame comes to town.
I believe the thought/hope is that Klein will actually call an offense that might actually try to work around any shortcomings in the Oline as opposed to Jimbo's stubborn approach of running plays that require all 11 guys to execute perfectly in order for it to work.

I truly believe the badness of our Oline the last few years was magnified by Jimbo's offensive approach. Sure, it was bad, but the way the offense was run made it stick out so so bad.
StinkyPinky
AG
Aggie87 said:

Redfishag93 said:

I agree with this take. But the thing with Nolen and most college players is that exponential improvement in performance between years 2 and 3. He clearly has the pedigree. I suspect he'll mature into that potential this season and wouldn't have minded to have been able to take advantage of it. But if at the end of the day if he didn't want to be here and was a disruption, we can't have any patience with that and just try to beat him. I'm personally not worried, I think we have good DL prospect ad apparent depth. We should be fine there independent how great he may end up being.
1996OlAg
AG
GBD hurt?
P.U.T.U
AG
He has been the past few years. Doubtful he plays again
OldAggie_2
It definitely seemed like coverage was tighter. It was refreshing to watch DBs break up passes and meet a WR at the ball
DSAG
rootube said:

Our DL is in solid shape but the OL does not look good to me .
I am concerned about keeping Weigman healthy .
Redfishag93
For those of you sayin Walter Nolan wasn't very good, just a highly ranked recruit, I disagree. He was very good last year and a big part of our outstanding run defense

McKinley jackson - 27 tackles, 10 solo, 3 sacks
Walter nolan - 37 tackles, 20 solo, 4 sacks

And McKinley just got drafted in the 3rd round.

That doesn't mean Sherman turner, rodas Johnson, Albert Regis, dj hicks can't fill that void but Nolan is a serious player who will be a high draft pick.
AGDAD14
I observed kids who will not be on the roster next fall or next year, under the current environment of college athletics.
TX_Aggie37
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

rootube said:

As you mentioned the OL was missing pieces and was split up. Our OL projects to be good which will be fine with the right play calling and the overall talent at the skill level. The other thing I think people are forgetting due to aggie portal panic is our DL is elite, flat out top 5 elite. They have experience, depth, talent and they can rush the passer, stop the run, and eat space. Our OL wont play a DL of that caliber outside of Notre Dame, maybe LSU as an entire front 7.
Who besides TexAgs projects our OL to be good? It's the biggest question mark we have as a team. Sure, it's hard to imagine it being any worse, but we don't have any indication of it being a good unit yet. I think we have the athletic ability to put together a decent group, and I am hopeful that Klein and Cushing can turn it into a solid group. Remains to be seen.

VP at Pierce and Pierce
TX_Aggie37 said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

rootube said:

Who besides TexAgs projects our OL to be good? It's the biggest question mark we have as a team. Sure, it's hard to imagine it being any worse, but we don't have any indication of it being a good unit yet. I think we have the athletic ability to put together a decent group, and I am hopeful that Klein and Cushing can turn it into a solid group. Remains to be seen.

On paper we have talent and experience, those are the two key ingredients to a good (if not better) unit. They had poor coaching, poor scheme, and awful S&C and nutrition. But, the ingredients are there and with adjustments to coaching, scheme, S&C and nutrition this unit can make big strides immediately. This isn't like when Sherman took over at the OL. There is talent and experience, it needs to be harnessed.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Redfishag93 said:

In my opinion Sherman Stewart really wasn't that productive last year. He was not in the starting group and was only credited w 5 tackles and 1.5 sacks on the year according to espn. Maybe that's not right?

He stood out in the spring game, looks much quicker and stronger, got off blocks, very disruptive
The thing about Stewart last year is it seemed like he was always one step away from making a sack or TFL. And we are talking many, many times that this was the case.
So if he has improved enough to make up that one step, he will have big numbers this year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.