Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Spring Game Observations

12,020 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by halfastros81
Pgl238
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redfishag93 said:

Nabou - prolly starting center unless the Utah transfer unseats him. I'm guessing the Utah guy is not planning on coming here to sit, so Nabou better keep improving. Rodas Johnson beat him 3 different times I believe pretty early in the game so Nabou had some issues.

I read this and take it as the transfer is here to compete for a starting spot... but when one of our players transfers out, we call him a quiter and say he's afraid of competition. How do we know this guy is actually a competitor and not a quiter?
P.U.T.U
AG
Getting a new blocking scheme and the unit gelling takes time. Even when we had Henson it took a few games and moving people around until we started being able to do stuff on offense. The ND game may be rough and hopefully we get the kinks worked out by the Florida game, they are beatable but also have a very athletic front 7
VP at Pierce and Pierce
P.U.T.U said:

Getting a new blocking scheme and the unit gelling takes time. Even when we had Henson it took a few games and moving people around until we started being able to do stuff on offense. The ND game may be rough and hopefully we get the kinks worked out by the Florida game, they are beatable but also have a very athletic front 7
You are right, and I do think the Notre Dame game will be rough. They have the best front in college football and maybe the best overall defense. But, these guys will be going against an elite defense in practice every day, especially along the DL. Learn from the ND game and take it to Florida and Missouri then a showdown against what should be a really good LSU defense.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Pgl238 said:

Redfishag93 said:

Nabou - prolly starting center unless the Utah transfer unseats him. I'm guessing the Utah guy is not planning on coming here to sit, so Nabou better keep improving. Rodas Johnson beat him 3 different times I believe pretty early in the game so Nabou had some issues.

I read this and take it as the transfer is here to compete for a starting spot... but when one of our players transfers out, we call him a quiter and say he's afraid of competition. How do we know this guy is actually a competitor and not a quiter?
Usually a quitter doesn't go towards playing against the best of the best every week. The quitters or guys that cant quite make usually go down a notch. There are background interviews and such to mitigate this stuff.
Redfishag93
TX_Aggie37 said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

rootube said:

It's very difficult to make an OL assessment based on a spring game because of how they split up the teams. There were also some key pieces missing completely which also makes it difficult . Overall the DL basically dominated the OL. I really hope the patchwork OL we field next year can improve significantly because if they can't, it's going to be a long season.
As you mentioned the OL was missing pieces and was split up. Our OL projects to be good which will be fine with the right play calling and the overall talent at the skill level. The other thing I think people are forgetting due to aggie portal panic is our DL is elite, flat out top 5 elite. They have experience, depth, talent and they can rush the passer, stop the run, and eat space. Our OL wont play a DL of that caliber outside of Notre Dame, maybe LSU as an entire front 7.
Who besides TexAgs projects our OL to be good? It's the biggest question mark we have as a team. Sure, it's hard to imagine it being any worse, but we don't have any indication of it being a good unit yet. I think we have the athletic ability to put together a decent group, and I am hopeful that Klein and Cushing can turn it into a solid group. Remains to be seen.

We actually do have some indication it'll be better...film of the Spring Game.

I realize it's not a regular season game but when Rueben Fatheree is mostly doing well blocking Nic Scourton that tells me we will be improved at RT.

When Armaj-Adams squares off against multiple good players and is staying on these blocks that tells me we will be improved at that guard spot.

When Bisontis is repeatedly pulling and hitting moving targets that tells me we should be improved.

We had so many O-linemen getting whooped, falling down, whiffing last year it doesn't matter how the Qb, Rb or Wr are playing...they don't have a chance.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Redfishag93 said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

rootube said:

It's very difficult to make an OL assessment based on a spring game because of how they split up the teams. There were also some key pieces missing completely which also makes it difficult . Overall the DL basically dominated the OL. I really hope the patchwork OL we field next year can improve significantly because if they can't, it's going to be a long season.
As you mentioned the OL was missing pieces and was split up. Our OL projects to be good which will be fine with the right play calling and the overall talent at the skill level. The other thing I think people are forgetting due to aggie portal panic is our DL is elite, flat out top 5 elite. They have experience, depth, talent and they can rush the passer, stop the run, and eat space. Our OL wont play a DL of that caliber outside of Notre Dame, maybe LSU as an entire front 7.
Who besides TexAgs projects our OL to be good? It's the biggest question mark we have as a team. Sure, it's hard to imagine it being any worse, but we don't have any indication of it being a good unit yet. I think we have the athletic ability to put together a decent group, and I am hopeful that Klein and Cushing can turn it into a solid group. Remains to be seen.

We actually do have some indication it'll be better...film of the Spring Game.

I realize it's not a regular season game but when Rueben Fatheree is mostly doing well blocking Nic Scourton that tells me we will be improved at RT.

When Armaj-Adams squares off against multiple good players and is staying on these blocks that tells me we will be improved at that guard spot.

When Bisontis is repeatedly pulling and hitting moving targets that tells me we should be improved.

We had so many O-linemen getting whooped, falling down, whiffing last year it doesn't matter how the Qb, Rb or Wr are playing...they don't have a chance.
Yeah hopefully we can field a competent group. As I said, I don't figure it'll be any worse than it was. I'm just not prepared to project them as a quality unit yet.
ironmanag
AG
Appreciate the effort. Wrong on alot Zuhn in particular. You also have to take into account it will take longer than one spring to clear the Addazzio out of the OLs.
Aggie0956732
They rotated a lot of bodies, they used a scheme that was not conducive to putting up numbers, and players were not put in position to make big plays.
S.A. Aggie
AG
StinkyPinky said:

You just made it move a little. Ok, who am I kidding, it moved A LOT!

Stinky, your scaring me.
Redfishag93
ironmanag said:

Appreciate the effort. Wrong on alot Zuhn in particular. You also have to take into account it will take longer than one spring to clear the Addazzio out of the OLs.
What else was I wrong about? What did you see? I like discussion this time of year...it's all we've got.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
ironmanag said:

On one hand it could take more than a spring and fall camp to undo the Addazio/Jimbo mess. Then again with the raw talent and experience along with better coaching the unit could improve greatly in a short amount of time. These things do happen. We aren't taking a group of players whose best offers were New Mexico State and North Texas and they were in an option scheme. These guys are talented and were in a pro style scheme so the overall philosophy wont be much different, it is the technique and concepts that will change and likely be much more easier to digest and actually do on the field. The biggest hurdle is time, yes, and the fact that they play an elite Notre Dame team game 1.
StinkyPinky
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

StinkyPinky said:

You just made it move a little. Ok, who am I kidding, it moved A LOT!

Stinky, your scaring me.
Sorry. I have a bad habit of speaking out loud….
Aggie0956732
It sounds like you really analyzed the offensive line during the spring game! It's crucial for the team's success, especially after last year's struggles. It's interesting to see your insights on players like Bisontis, Thomason, Fatheree, Funk, and Erb. Players like Scourton seem like tough competition! It'll be exciting to see how the offensive line shapes up for the upcoming season with these changes and improvements!
Sterling82
It will be nice if Moss can gain 5 yards this year without having to break three tackles. I wasn't wowed by the O-line in the spring game but we at least were able to get backs to the second level on occasion.
greg.w.h
AG
Sterling82 said:

It will be nice if Moss can gain 5 yards this year without having to break three tackles. I wasn't wowed by the O-line in the spring game but we at least were able to get backs to the second level on occasion.
I think you have to agree that your effort to manage your own expectations would make Eric Hyman proud…
Redfishag93
A lot of returners
A lot of high level talent
A lot of guys who have played a lot of snaps
Up and coming Klein scheme
Adazzio is arrivederci
How can it not be a massive improvement?
Indianrider
AG
Lame
Sterling82
greg.w.h said:

Sterling82 said:

I think you have to agree that your effort to manage your own expectations would make Eric Hyman proud…

Yeah, sure! That's exactly what I wanted to do…make Eric Hyman proud.
NewEra2023
AG
Not to burst anyone's bubble but that Utah center was their worst OL last year. It's been reported that he wouldn't start this season so. It's not like we landed Zandamela or Parker Brailsford. We don't do that here.
halfastros81
AG
I bet we will have a competent plan all around and will be better organized . The OL coaching and unit performance can only get better . How many W's that will render? Only time will tell. We'll know a lot more before the calendar even turns to September imo.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.