Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

70,013 Views | 1695 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by Furlock Bones
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We got top 4 and a domestic trophy thank you very much. Over the last 10 years, that qualifies as an unmitigated success. We don't have a new owner (yet...any maybe won't...eek) but we do have ETH who seems to be a damn fine manager. Nice to have one of those for a change.

Let's do this!
Furlock Bones
Mathguy64
AG
I want to be positive to start the new thread but let's be honest. If the sale drags on I don't see a huge infusion of cash coming.

But let's be positive and hope we can find some sucker for Maguire and add a quality number 9, someone to play RW and a CAM. Oh and a quality CB. Nothing to it.
Texagsubscriber
I'm in. Let's do this.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
Dre_00
Even if the sale happens tomorrow, there's no guarantee large amounts of money will be spent or that it will be spent wisely. Ratcliffe isn't exactly running a model organization over at Nice and PSG is the cautionary tale of what happens when you spend unlimited funds poorly. They can still win a league title because it's France but they should be much more successful in the CL than they are. Point is, there is always reason to be pessimistic. But let's roll the dice and see what happens.

We need to move Maguire out but I don't think we need to spend 80 million to replace him. Or rather I don't think you want to replace him with a finished product. Ideally, you replace him with a youngish CB who isn't going to expect to play every week but is capable of stepping in when Varane inevitably gets injured. I know little about him but Min Jae Kim fits the profile and apparently there's a small window of opportunity to get him for a reasonable price (45 million EUR) this summer. Point is I'd roll into next season with Martinez, Varane, Lindelof, and someone like him and feel good about it.

We desperately need to upgrade De Gea. I think that will be the first big signal of whether this transfer window will be good or not. His contract runs out in 27 days and I honestly have no idea how this will turn out. The fact that he hasn't re-signed is telling in spite of all of ETH's in season proclamations about wanting him back for next season. He either really wants him but only at a lower wage to give him options elsewhere, really wants him but wants to bring in competition, or doesn't really want him but didn't want to cause a big distraction mid-season because it wasn't like he had a realistic better option. All of these seem equally plausible.

But the two areas which need the most help are midfield and forward. At forward we have virtually nothing. In midfield, we are desperately short of the profile that ETH likely values most. Honestly, we could do with 2 forwards and 2 midfielders (at least). I'm beginning to come around a bit on Mount but still think Chelsea isn't letting him go unless they get stupid money.

If you told me would get 2 high quality midfielders, 2 high quality forwards, move Maguire and upgrade De Gea, and nothing else, I would pass out from ecstasy. I doubt we'll get all of that but that would be a fantastic improvement even if it left the outside forward and right back positions untouched.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ratcliffe can't compete. Liverpool ownership can't compete. Only Newcastle can if the Sauds decide to.

There are literally no rules for these sovereign wealth funds. Does anyone truly believe that what is on the official books is what these guys are getting paid. No. They can pay Pep. They can pay Haaland's handlers. Etc. Put them into Abu Dhabi investment funds. There are myriad ways these countries can get money to players yet look fine on paper.

I think a fair number of fans are kidding themselves saying we are 2-3 players away. Maybe for 1 season. But not over the course of time.
Dre_00
Yeah, I too don't think we're 2-3 players away from competing for trebles. If you compare the rosters, adding 2-3 players to United doesn't even out the quality or the depth of quality.

I do think it's possible to catch them though without being financed by a foreign nation. It's hard. And you have to be nearly perfect in how you run things over a period of years. But it's possible. Look at Brighton. If you put Brighton's thoroughness, clarity of plan, and execution into Old Trafford with Glazer money and they can easily compete with City. I mean United were literally offered Moises Caicedo and passed. They could afford 10 2021 Mosies Caicedos, they're just too inept to identify those players and realize what they are and what they can be.
Showstopper
AG
Make of it what you will (and I'm not sure myself since a lot of places have said Kim Min Jae is basically ready once his special release clause window opens in the beginning of July) but Jurrien Timber attended the FA cup final

Dre_00
In a similar vein, reports are that Mount has agreed personal terms with United and that a transfer could be finalized by the end of the week.

I mean United haven't signed a player of note early in the transfer window since...I don't know when so consider me hugely skeptical.
Dre_00
I should preface that both the tumor above and the rumor below are from a...questionable source...but there's nothing else to discuss for 2 months so why not?

United apparently have a shot at Declan Rice if they are willing to shell out 100 million. Hard pass for me. He's a great player but unless we're dropping Boehly money this summer, we can't spend 100 million on a player that isn't a forward. This seems pretty unlikely.

Also rumors that Fred will be going to Fulham. Would need at least 2 midfielders if that's the case.

Furlock Bones
AG
Benzema leaving Real Madrid. Means they will be fighting to sign one of the few strikers.
Showstopper
AG
Well, it doesn't say anything is actually happening other than he was spotted on the way to Wembley. And if we do move on from Maguire we do need a CB, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to more than one because done deals have a real habit of becoming not done deals. And even if we aren't, he's likely to go somewhere and it doesn't hurt a player's negotiating position to have a link to MU (which is why agents like leaking stories). So who knows. I just thought it was interesting since there was at least a photo, so that already moves it ahead of pretty much every story in the Mirror or the Sun.
Dre_00
Jack Butland will leave on a free and sign for Rangers. Probably had better distribution than De Gea...
Dre_00
The Kim rumors seem to be consistent amongst the Italian media as well. Who the hell knows but if it does happen, it doesn't happen till the first half of July.

Rabiot on a free appears to be gaining momentum. Not thrilled with him to be honest but...he's a body I guess and if ETH approves then who am I to argue.
Dre_00
Apparently, Mason Mount played against ETH when he was on loan at Vitesse Arnhem and ETH had just started as Ajax manager. The story goes that ETH was impressed and tried to sign him on loan the following year but Chelsea sent him to Derby instead.

Now I have no idea if any of that is true but I'm going to pretend it is so that I can talk myself into this signing and then...watch it never happen.
Thunder18
AG
I'm ready to be hurt again
Mathguy64
AG
There are reports that Antony was allegedly abusive to his GF back at the end of May.

Why do these idiots do this? Allegedly.
Showstopper
AG
I am concerned because there is a history of some athletes having domestic violence issues, but that being said, the report was made to Brazilian officials based on a May 20 incident. United played an away game at Bournemouth that day (and Antony did start (played 86 minutes) . So I'm reserving judgment until all the facts come out (specifically the timeline, where it took place, how he got there, what happened, etc.). Like, a wouldn't think Brazil would have jurisdiction of an incident in England, but maybe they have offenses that cover domestic crimes against Brazil citizens extra-territorially. Or, did he hop on a plane to Brazil after the game, which ended around 5pm UK time; so it would be really hard to get to Brazil.

Basically, I am waiting for the story, because it seems like it would be hard to get to Brazil in the first place.
Aston94
AG
Good story on Goncarlo Ramos. Really hope United bring him in this summer as their long term solution at the 9.

Goncarlo Ramos Story on the Athletic
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I want to be positive to start the new thread but let's be honest. If the sale drags on I don't see a huge infusion of cash coming.

But let's be positive and hope we can find some sucker for Maguire and add a quality number 9, someone to play RW and a CAM. Oh and a quality CB. Nothing to it.
Its not the sale that will hold back purchases as much as it is the limitations of Financial Fair Play. After last summer's spending there is going to be a limit on what United can spend this summer.
Showstopper
AG
I think the FFP restrictions will lessen post-sale. Qatar would pay off the debt directly, Ratcliffe will move the debt to Ineos, which doesn't really affect anything practically since it remains a liability of the parent, but it would have the accounting effect of taking the interest expense away, which would allow more transfer spending.

Btw, the Qataris have bid put in a final take it or leave it bid and say they are pulling out of negotiations after Friday. We will see if that happens, but it sounds like Sir Jim has pretty much won.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/07/sheikh-jassim-manchester-united-friday-ultimatum-bid

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12169197/Man-Utd-Qatars-Sheikh-Jassim-submits-new-takeover-bid-sets-deadline-Friday.html

Similar reports from the Athletic and rolling in from multiple places
Mathguy64
AG
In the end the Glazers like cash and like being associated with the club. Where else can you take $250K trips to games and get someone else to pay for it? The Ineos bid let's them have their cake and eat it too.
Dre_00
Yes but as you say, the Glazers like cash. At the end of the day, if the Qatar bid either reaches their valuation of the club or values the club at a significant premium per share than the Ratcliffe bid, they'll take the Qatari bid.

They'll gladly use someone else's 250k to fund their private plane travels if someone gives them an extra billion to do so.
Showstopper
AG
I kind of have a feeling the private jet flights end either way. It's more symbolic anyway of their ownership. What does 250k actually buy? A week of Harry Maguire? Lol
Dre_00
https://theathletic.com/4586196/2023/06/08/manchester-united-transfers-kane-mount/?source=emp_shared_article

Nice article summarizing who United are looking at and the current status of each. Of course the elephant in the room is that the Glazers could eff this all up by prolonging this supposed sale and/or refusing to outlay the money that ETH needs. For those w/o subscription...

At forward, Kane, Hojlund, and Kolo Muani seem to be the most likely (or the player that were detailed the most). United unlikely to haggle over Kane. Hojlund wants to come and recently hired new agents who also represent ETH but his unproven. Kolo Muani is expensive but Murtagh is negotiating with Frankfurt.

Mount is the negotiation that is furthest along. Personal terms effectively agreed to but still a big distance between Chelsea and United in transfer fee. Unless United sell a midfielder first, they may put this on hold and prioritize a striker.

A few other tidbits in there but those seemed the most interesting/concrete.
Aston94
AG
So in order of importance:

1. Striker--need a true 9
2. Central midfielder--would love a mobile 8
3. Keeper--someone better with their feet to compete with DeGea
4. Right back--replacement for AWB
5.Central Defender--replacement for the hopefully leaving Maguire
6. Wing--sell of Sancho and Antony and bring in new depth?

Players that should be/could be sold:
1. Dean Henderson--20M pounds
2. Harry Maguire--30M pounds
3. Scott McTominay--25M pounds
4. Anthony Martial--20M pounds
5. AWB--20M pounds
6. Fred--20M pounds
7. Donny Van de Beek--bag of soccer balls
8. Sancho? --30M pounds (wishful thinking on my end)
9. Antony?--30M pounds (really wishful thinking on my end)

Others?
Dre_00
Good list that covers pretty much everything besides the random loan players that will come back but need to leave like Alex Telles.

I don't think there's any chance Sancho or Antony leave. ETH rates Antony and no chance United are going to eat that transfer fee after just one year. For similar reasons, I highly doubt Sancho is going anywhere though next season is probably his final chance at United.
Mathguy64
AG
To add to the list of outgoing players you have DVdB. He's publicly stated he wants to go somewhere to play. How realistic that is with his knee reconstruction is debatable.
Aston94
AG
I acknowledge that Sancho and Antony are on my personal wish list. Although I would like to see bothe with a proper #9 in the middle.
Aston94
AG
Donny is added, although I confess I had forgotten he was still on the squad. I had trouble establishing a value but think I have it.
Aston94
AG
I added Anthony Martial to list as well.
Mathguy64
AG
Aston94 said:

Donny is added, although I confess I had forgotten he was still on the squad. I had trouble establishing a value but think I have it.
That's a lot of outgoing players that have to get upgraded.
Thunder18
AG
Have yet to read/see anything about AWB being considered for sale. I guess if we decide to go after Frimpong or Pavard?
Showstopper
AG
I don't think there is any concrete news on AWB, it's just that we keep hearing rumblings about getting another RB, we were going to sell him before he turned it around, but we just extended Dalot. So it's one of those process of elimination deals. He's played really well in the second half of the season; but we keep getting linked to right backs so idk.

I'll send ETH an email letting him know that I like AWB, and he should listen to me because I've won a lot of trophies in FIFA career mode. I think once he realizes that we are basically peers that that will really solidify the value of my opinion.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Dre_00 said:

At forward, Kane, Hojlund, and Kolo Muani seem to be the most likely (or the player that were detailed the most). United unlikely to haggle over Kane. Hojlund wants to come and recently hired new agents who also represent ETH but his unproven. Kolo Muani is expensive but Murtagh is negotiating with Frankfurt.

Osimhen needs to be option 1 at striker in my opinion. I'd rate him higher than Kane. That said, unless the Sheikh is successful with his bid, I don't see United ponying up the cash. One can dream though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.