* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *
69,523 Views | 1490 Replies
FriedTex
10:39a, 9/28/23
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

Last week Klopp said Endo was wasting time being "too nice". Endo definitely took that message to heart. He was an absolute bully yesterday. He physically dominated the midfield and his quick forward passing repeatedly sliced LCFC wide open.

Gravenberch also looked really good. He is so smooth with the ball at his feet. Seems insane that Bayern couldn't figure out how to use him. Thanks again Tuchel.

Lastly, if you didn't think Szobo was Stevie reborn that goal probably made you a convert. Even the celebration was shades of Gerrard.

Szobo goal was outstanding
OregonAggie
7:29a, 9/30/23
jeffk
7:31a, 9/30/23
OregonAggie
10:31a, 9/30/23
Let's go boys!!!
OregonAggie
11:57a, 9/30/23
That's a BS red card. I know Jones was cleats up but his foot slipped on the top of the ball. Ridiculous.

0-0 but we're down a man in the 25' min
AG@RICE
12:35p, 9/30/23
Why didn't they draw the lines on Diaz's goal? That was extremely close and it didn't feel like VAR even considered it.
jeffk
1:13p, 9/30/23
This has been an officiating horror show. Omg.
AG@RICE
1:30p, 9/30/23
That was painful...
jeffk
2:41p, 9/30/23
Already got a PMGOL apology for the Diaz offside call.
YNWA.2013
2:49p, 9/30/23
In reply to jeffk
This game should be shown to all match officials and Simon Hooper and the VAR should never ref a PL game again.
-FTA c/o 2013
Ag-in-a-Box
2:55p, 9/30/23
I'd rather them just double down on their wrongness. This does nothing.
hoosierAG
2:56p, 9/30/23
It's mind blowing that the Premiere League can't get the VAR right. At least the "easy" ones like this. It really is inexcusable.
TXAggie2011
3:51p, 9/30/23
Y'all got ****ed.
Ag-in-a-Box
4:51p, 9/30/23
Lol, back at the house and reading about it now... Apparently VAR thought they were checking for onsides. They were checking for the exact opposite call and their confirmation should have been an overturn. Wow. Just wow.
YNWA.2013
4:53p, 9/30/23
In reply to Ag-in-a-Box
That's BS. It's a goal, of course you're checking for offsides. Checking for anything else makes no sense!
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
5:10p, 9/30/23
In reply to Ag-in-a-Box
Yep yep yep. So much worse than actually just getting it wrong.

jeffk
5:11p, 9/30/23
And Jota made zero contact on either of his cards. Just shambolic stuff.
wangus12
5:14p, 9/30/23
In reply to jeffk
Sounds like they did to y'all what they did to Arsenal in February. Just not draw the lines out of sheer laziness
TXAggie2011
6:33p, 9/30/23
So who is to blame? The 4th official? Who tells VAR what the on field decision was?
jeffk
6:35p, 9/30/23
In reply to TXAggie2011
I mean they're supposed to be watching the game, so seeing Spurs set up for a freekick should have been a pretty big clue.
TXAggie2011
6:58p, 9/30/23
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I mean they're supposed to be watching the game, so seeing Spurs set up for a freekick should have been a pretty big clue.

Okay yes but aren't they also supposed to be vigorously watching replays? how do those mechanics work, especially in less obvious situations?

Anyhow, sounds like they need to require the verbiage to include the actual call. "The call is confirmed. The player was onsides and the goal counts."
jeffk
8:03p, 9/30/23
In reply to TXAggie2011
It's just incredible that no one along that chain of communication would mention the call was offside. Or that as soon as they said call confirmed and they let Spurs take the freekick they didn't buzz him back to fix it. Sheer incompetence.
JJxvi
9:31p, 9/30/23
They are English. It wont occur to them that they can just stop the game and bend the rules to fix the problem. In their mind once the free kick is taken then "by the letter of the law there is just nothing we can do because the game continued, look its printed in black and white in our rules!" even though the whole reason they exist is to get the call right when something gets ****ed up.
ChipFTAC01
9:41p, 9/30/23
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

And Jota made zero contact on either of his cards. Just shambolic stuff.

I think the Spur kicked Jota's knee on the first one which caused him to fall. No intent (or action) at all on Jota's part.

But he got him on the second one didn't he?

What a ****ing hose job.
AG@RICE
11:49p, 9/30/23
Still pissed about that game. VAR spent like 10 minutes finding the 1 frame that would upgrade CuJo's foul to a red card, but couldn't spend 5 seconds to honestly evaluate that offsides call.

Pure BS.

At the end of the day, I left that game with greater confidence in the team. It took Tottenham, plus all 3 refs AND the VAR officials to beat Liverpool. They can't do that every week.

We owe Brighton a beating. Revenge tour starts next Sunday.
jeffk
6:27a, 10/1/23
In reply to ChipFTAC01
Idk, I watched about twenty slo-mo replays and some looked like he barely made contact and others it looks like he misses completely and the Spurs player dove. Either way, very much not a legit yellow card.
jeffk
7:14a, 10/1/23
Just for funsies let's go tinfoil hat conspiracy believers here for a moment. Apparently Darren England, Daniel Cook, and Michael Oliver all got the opportunity to travel to UEA and officiate a game just this past week.
joemeister
7:18p, 10/1/23
The key now is for the management and team leaders to not allow the VAR injustice to distract them from the next game. Can't let a close loss beat you twice, especially when it carries the extra burden of a feeling of being robbed. The biggest positive is that Spurs couldn't hang until they had a man advantage, and even then, they never really looked like scoring. It's starting to feel like this team will compete with Arsenal and City for top 3, baring major injuries (obviously).
jeffk
10:42a, 10/2/23
The team has formally requested audio of the VAR and on-field communication.
OregonAggie
8:35p, 10/2/23
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

The team has formally requested audio of the VAR and on-field communication.

I get it but they gotta just move on. We got screwed. Just prepare for and only talk about the Europa League game and the big one against BHA this weekend.
jeffk
8:57p, 10/2/23
In reply to OregonAggie
I'm confident the players and coaches and staff had moved past Saturday by Sunday.
ChipFTAC01
7:12a, 10/3/23
Any SA Liverpool fans on here? We're going to go stay at my in laws place in Alamo Heights and I think the pub by their house (The Winchester on Broadway) is a Liverpool bar. Might take the opportunity for some communal day drinking with a pub in walking distance. Not sure if they're open for a 8a kick.
Ag-in-a-Box
11:39a, 10/3/23
In reply to ChipFTAC01
ChipFTAC01 said:

Any SA Liverpool fans on here? We're going to go stay at my in laws place in Alamo Heights and I think the pub by their house (The Winchester on Broadway) is a Liverpool bar. Might take the opportunity for some communal day drinking with a pub in walking distance. Not sure if they're open for a 8a kick.

All signs point to maybe. Looks like they've opened early for games recently, the SA group still meets there to watch games, but I'm not finding anything specific to this weekend.
jeffk
12:49p, 10/3/23
Posted about this on the ****housery thread, but figured I'd drop this here too. Just a terrible process.

ChipFTAC01
1:17p, 10/3/23
In reply to Ag-in-a-Box
Ag-in-a-Box said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

All signs point to maybe. Looks like they've opened early for games recently, the SA group still meets there to watch games, but I'm not finding anything specific to this weekend.

Thanks.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 13 of 43
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off