* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *
69,821 Views | 1495 Replies
hoosierAG
12:33p, 1/7/24
jeffk
12:48p, 1/7/24
I've always said the FA Cup is the premier competition in the world.
jeffk
1:00p, 1/7/24
Perhaps the grass at the Emirates is just too dry?
AG@RICE
1:16p, 1/7/24
ESAggie89
2:03p, 1/7/24
ChipFTAC01
7:41p, 1/7/24
Way to hang in there and get the win (and avoid the replay!)
FriedTex
9:22p, 1/7/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
Diaz goal
ChipFTAC01
6:12a, 1/8/24
From Athletic this morning

"It was Liverpool's first win away to the north Londoners in the competition since 1964."

How many times could they have possibly been drawn at Arsenal in the FA Cup since 1964?
ChipFTAC01
6:21a, 1/8/24
To answer my question it looks like

2-1 loss in 2014

1-0 loss in 2002

In 1980 it look three replays to find a winner in the semifinal (can you imagine Klopp bitcjing about that?) but they were all at neutral grounds. They also had a league game in the middle so they played 5 times between 4/12 and 5/1.

And that's it.
ChipFTAC01
2:12p, 1/8/24
Home vs Norwich or Bristol Rovers in the 4th round. I'll take that
AG@RICE
3:36p, 1/8/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
It was a great draw.

Chelsea v Aston Villa

Spurs v City

Newcastle V Fulham

West Ham v Forrest (potentially)

Palace v Everton (3rd round replay)

Lots of good PL teams won't make it past round 4.
ChipFTAC01
7:21a, 1/9/24
In 21/22 did we ever lead the league or were we always chasing City?
jeffk
7:36a, 1/9/24
Well, this sucks.

jeffk
7:39a, 1/9/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
ChipFTAC01 said:

In 21/22 did we ever lead the league or were we always chasing City?

I went back through the standings real quick (only looked at the table every five match weeks) and us and Chelsea were ahead of them for the first month or two but from then on, City were in front.
YNWA.2013
8:02a, 1/9/24
In reply to jeffk
Ffs. Hopefully he is back in time for the Chelsea game.

Either Luke Chambers goes in at LB and Gomez moves to RB. Or Gomez stays at LB and Conor Bradley or Calvin Ramsey (recall him from his loan at PNE) play RB. Neither option is ideal and I am not keen on either solution. I know we won't but maybe dip into the transfer market and get one of those LB/CB hybrid types? Lloyd Kelly, anyone?

It's gonna be interesting to see what Klopp does tomorrow as the unavailable list continues to grow.

Unavailable:
Endo
VvD (assuming he is not over the illness)
Thiago
Szobozlai
Salah
Tsimikas
Robertson
Matip
Bajcetic
TAA
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
8:25a, 1/9/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
I think I saw that they said VVD was feeling better and available for tomorrow.

But yeah, we're looking pretty thin at the back end of the field right now. Hopefully we can somehow squeak out results in the league games. Not really concerned about FA/Caribou Cups personally.
hoosierAG
12:18p, 1/9/24
Good grief...this is ridiculous. So no Trent, Endo, and Salah for at best a few weeks along with all the others mentioned.

And how long is Szo supposed to be out? Didn't think that was a long term thing but can't remember.

Edit: Ok, just read he is doing better and will see after the winter break as of now.
jeffk
5:41a, 1/10/24
OregonAggie
7:39a, 1/10/24
jeffk
8:44a, 1/10/24
I saw that we sent Carvalho out on loan again. This time to Hull City.
ChipFTAC01
8:45a, 1/10/24
ChipFTAC01
8:46a, 1/10/24
If these injuries keep up we're going to be fielding a team of U8 by mid-Feb.
YNWA.2013
8:47a, 1/10/24
jeffk
2:15p, 1/10/24
pkag02
2:25p, 1/10/24
They should give that guy somn to really cry about
hoosierAG
4:00p, 1/10/24
jeffk
4:04p, 1/10/24
Job halfway done. Wasn't the prettiest but it'll do.
hoosierAG
5:20p, 1/10/24
And positive news, Bradley looked great and played his arse off. Filled in nicely for all the injuries and was as standout in the match. Huge.
ChipFTAC01
7:51p, 1/15/24
John Oliver starts listing Liverpool players to stretch out his acceptance speech at the Emmys. Didn't expect to hear Trent Alexander Arnold in that context.
oragator
12:11a, 1/16/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
jeffk
7:08a, 1/17/24
PMGOL came out and said we should have been given a penalty for the blatant handball in the Arsenal game. So with that and two nickels we have ten cents.
jeffk
7:23a, 1/17/24
Also, Hendo is already done fixing all the social ills in Saudi Arabia so he's terminating his contract and moving to The Netherlands. I'm sure it has nothing to do with tax avoidance.
AG@RICE
9:51a, 1/17/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Also, Hendo is already done fixing all the social ills in Saudi Arabia so he's terminating his contract and moving to The Netherlands. I'm sure it has nothing to do with tax avoidance.
This situation turned out pretty great for Liverpool. First, we ditched an aging midfielder that was holding us back and replaced him with an incredible group of players in their prime. Second, this will absolutely slow the Saudi run on Liverpool players. You think Joe Gomez is looking at Hendo's experience and thinking about taking the bag? Nope. Salah's response might be different given his ethnicity, but I bet he is rethinking that move. Lastly (and probably the best part), there is a sell-on clause in Hendo's contract....smart move by Liverpool anticipating he wouldn't last. Liverpool will get a couple extra million to spend next summer. He moved from the most liberal part of England to the backwood sticks of Saudi. I bet the backroom staff had a betting pool for when he would crack.

Thanks Hendo....you rich idiot.

jeffk
10:00a, 1/17/24
In reply to AG@RICE
I didn't realize that he'd kept his family over the border in Bahrain. Which is smart imo, but definitely speaks to the conditions in SA.
eiggA2002
10:07a, 1/17/24
He was a great captain for us. Won it all and was a great leader when he was here. I don't fault him for leaving for a bag of cash after being told he wasn't in our plans. These guys have such a limited time to get paid big money, but the grass (or sand) isn't always greener when you are stuck thousands of miles away from your family, play in front of 150 people each week, and have nothing to do in Nowheresville Saudi Arabia. He was making good money but not nearly the 700k a week that was reported. It is less than half, but still tax free. So he made somewhere around $7MM give or take for his short time there. Turned out good for both sides.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 22 of 43
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings