* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *
69,512 Views | 1490 Replies
ChipFTAC01
8:29a, 4/14/24
Guess you can tackle in the box now
OregonAggie
8:48a, 4/14/24
I think this palace team is playing much more offensive, which they've always had the players for it, and our defense looks bad.

I don't think Klopp and the boys gave Palace enough credit coming into this. Let's hope that gets fixed at the half.
hoosierAG
8:50a, 4/14/24
Well, second half to "save" the season coming up. Not sure what happened, but this isn't the same team that should have beaten MC not long ago. Everything is a bit of mess, to say the least. Can't defend, can't attack, can't finish and just look so out of sorts for a few games now.

Let's do this.
gougler08
8:50a, 4/14/24
Eze is a really good player
YNWA.2013
9:17a, 4/14/24
7 yards out and Nuñez hits it at the keeper
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
9:23a, 4/14/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
Take off Jones and bring on Jota. Play a 3-3-4 in possession and a 4-2-1-3 on defense
-FTA c/o 2013
gougler08
9:35a, 4/14/24
How is nobody scoring?
Unemployed
9:54a, 4/14/24
Liverpool is cooked.
hoosierAG
9:56a, 4/14/24
Who saw 2 straight losses at Anfield without scoring a single goal? Stunning collapse. But the price you eventually pay when you can't finish and concede so many early goals with such lapses in defense.

Last 7 days ended the season.
jeffk
9:57a, 4/14/24
Well, *****

I don't get it. Form took a drastic nosedive over the past two weeks. No idea why. Tired legs, bad mentality, coaching staff upheaval finally caught up?
Out in Left Field
9:59a, 4/14/24
hoosierAG
10:04a, 4/14/24
In reply to jeffk
I wondered the same thing. Such a drop off there had to be behind the scenes issues (coaching staff leaving and uncertain future for a lot) finally taking it's toll along with the injuries. And/or the inability to finish and defend (which has been present for so long) finally caught up to them. Players have not been up to snuff all around, I mean Salah has been non existent since he came back from injury. Klop too has missed the mark. Such a shame.
YNWA.2013
10:06a, 4/14/24
What a difference a week makes. Last Sunday we were in the driver's seat heading into the United game. One wayward pass and United is back in the game and we haven't recovered since. We got lucky to equalize from the penalty spot. We were outplayed, outhustled, and outworked on Thursday. And an absolutely atrocious display today. The confidence that this team looked like they had has evaporated.

Overall it's been a pretty good season, considering where we were at this point last year. Just can't get seem to get it done here at the end of the season. Likely out of the PL race now and it'll be difficult to overturn the Atalanta tie. Looks like Klopp's farewell will only include the Carabao Cup. The man deserved a more fitting goodbye.
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
10:07a, 4/14/24
In reply to hoosierAG
Salah has also been fasting for Ramadan…
-FTA c/o 2013
Crispin Torque
10:11a, 4/14/24
You can probably dissect this a million different ways, and injuries are certainly a factor, but the players have just not been good/clinical enough.

Certainly a really good, top 4 side, but not a league winning side. Arsenal and City just have better players than us.

I really hope FSG open up the pocket book for Amorim and allow him to make some upgrades.
hoosierAG
10:21a, 4/14/24
In reply to Crispin Torque
Agree completely, MC and Arsenal are just better all around and we were playing out of minds for a long time, especially with all the injuries.Finishing top 3 (hopefully!) is pretty amazing considering the rebuild in the midfield, the insane injuries and Klop announcement.

And def need FSG to step up for Amorim or whoever the new manager is. Definitely going to be interesting to see how many changes there are. And there need to be some changes no doubt.

That being said, shouldn't have tied MU, lost by 3 to Atalanta, and lost to CP today.
La Bamba
10:37a, 4/14/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Salah has also been fasting for Ramadan…

Ramadan ended like a week ago for most Arab countries
jeffk
10:52a, 4/14/24
In reply to Crispin Torque
Crispin Torque said:

You can probably dissect this a million different ways, and injuries are certainly a factor, but the players have just not been good/clinical enough.

Certainly a really good, top 4 side, but not a league winning side. Arsenal and City just have better players than us.

I really hope FSG open up the pocket book for Amorim and allow him to make some upgrades.

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, Arteta's approach this spring has really paid dividends for them. And we all know that Pep doesn't stumble on run-ins either.

I just wish we were sending the best manager of my lifetime off a little stronger.
YNWA.2013
10:54a, 4/14/24
In reply to La Bamba
Yeah, and I'm sure it has no effect on an elite athlete's body and he can bounce back just like *that*
-FTA c/o 2013
La Bamba
11:04a, 4/14/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Yeah, and I'm sure it has no effect on an elite athlete's body and he can bounce back just like *that*

Well he's probably been fasting at Ramadan since he was 9 and playing football most his life and a majority at an elite level so I'm not sure it's the excuse you want it to be.

Especially a week after it's over.
RossG_2
11:25a, 4/14/24
That was pitiful.
jeffk
11:49a, 4/14/24
I saw that CP is the only team to beat a Klopp-coached team at Anfield three times. No other team has done it more than once.
hoosierAG
12:26p, 4/14/24
Not that it really matters as the way we are playing we will most likely drop more points going forward and MC is in their top form, but it's not helping watching Arsenal lose.
YNWA.2013
4:44p, 4/14/24
In reply to hoosierAG
Arsenal losing definitely makes today feel worse. Those were the points dropped we needed for the title.

We had the chances. Endo hitting the crossbar, Diaz's diving karate kick is saved, Nuñez hitting the GK from 7 yards out, Jota's shot from the same spot blocked by Clyne, Jones missing the goal entirely on his breakaway, Mitchell blocking Salah's shot from 3 yards out. Just could not finish today (or this week).

On the flip side, Alison's right paw saved a point blank shot from Mateta and Robbo had a goal line clearance. Just the way football happens sometimes. I just want it to go in our favor every once in a while instead of seemingly always City's.
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
10:28a, 4/18/24
YNWA.2013
10:37a, 4/18/24
What are we thinking? Is it even possible? All the great European Liverpool comebacks have come at Anfield (2019 Barcelona, 2016 Dortmund). I don't think we've had one away from home. But if Atalanta can win 3-0 away then so can we, right? Right?!?
ChipFTAC01
10:41a, 4/18/24
ChipFTAC01
10:42a, 4/18/24
I didn't wear my lucky midweek European game socks today (completely forgot) but after they failed the lads last week, **** them.
OregonAggie
11:09a, 4/18/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

What are we thinking? Is it even possible? All the great European Liverpool comebacks have come at Anfield (2019 Barcelona, 2016 Dortmund). I don't think we've had one away from home. But if Atalanta can win 3-0 away then so can we, right? Right?!?

HELL YEAH WE CAN WIN AND I EXPECT IT

LFG!!!!
YNWA.2013
11:17a, 4/18/24
In reply to OregonAggie
In Klopp We Trust for (what hopefully isn't our last) European tie under him
joemeister
11:23a, 4/18/24
If the attacking players are wearing their finishing boots today, we can definitely win!
OregonAggie
1:01p, 4/18/24
TAA back in.
OregonAggie
2:06p, 4/18/24
PENAL PENAL PENAL!!!!
YNWA.2013
2:08p, 4/18/24
In reply to OregonAggie
One down, two to go
OregonAggie
2:08p, 4/18/24